Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whats Anti-Stall

MattJakeT

Saw this mentioned on another thread, I had no Idea my car had it. However when I try to pull away sometimes the car hesitates after and someone said this could be due to the anti stall.

Anyway could someone please explain what it is, what it does etc, that would be fab

Thanks

Matt

No idea, but the Fiesta certainly isn't "Anti-Stall"

Even Aircraft aren't anti-stall, otherwise that 747 from Rio to Paris wouldn't have fell out of the sky.

• Like 1

Do you mean when it starts to judder and revs increase?

The car will increase throttle if rpm drops below idle, which is what I take to mean "anti-stall".

• Like 1

Yeah That must be it. Upon further investigation it was apparently introduced on the mrk 7's however by introduced they probably mean upgraded or something.

Does this happen when you are moving off on a hill? Perhaps it is Hill Assist keeping the brakes on momentarily just as you are trying to pull away. Check your handbook to see if you have got Hill Assist.

Does this happen when you are moving off on a hill? Perhaps it is Hill Assist keeping the brakes on momentarily just as you are trying to pull away. Check your handbook to see if you have got Hill Assist.

No it doesn't have that unfortunately

Maybe it's the weird thing my car does...

If my car is stalled, if you press the clutch pedal in straight away it starts back up...

This also happens when turning the car off which is quite annoying :/

Is it the ability to release the clutch without applying revs to the car to move off.

I'd have thought it's where the car will up the revs if it decides it's about to stall - noting new, I first noticed it on one of my first cars many years back. It's to prevent damage to the exhaust car as when you stall this results in an amount of unburnt fuel going into the cat. Not sure if it's the fuel itself that can then cause cat damage or if it's that fuel then igniting when the engine restarts?

There is an "anti-stall" feature which was first introduced on the MK7, but I'm not sure if that's the correct name for it. As I understand it, the anti-stall kicks in when you're slowing down with the car in gear, and I think it disengages the clutch or something like that before the revs drop too low.

It would be good if someone can explain how it works because I've also been a bit confused by it. You'll notice the revs drop to idle when this happens, but I normally put the clutch in before that. Am I right in thinking the anti-stall doesn't do anything when you're accelerating, and will the engine still stall if you don't put in the clutch when you stop?

• Like 2

There is an "anti-stall" feature which was first introduced on the MK7, but I'm not sure if that's the correct name for it. As I understand it, the anti-stall kicks in when you're slowing down with the car in gear, and I think it disengages the clutch or something like that before the revs drop too low.

It would be good if someone can explain how it works because I've also been a bit confused by it. You'll notice the revs drop to idle when this happens, but I normally put the clutch in before that. Am I right in thinking the anti-stall doesn't do anything when you're accelerating, and will the engine still stall if you don't put in the clutch when you stop?

I think this is what I'm talking about. I read something along the anti stall lines was introduced on the mk7 but had no clue about it. Anyone know?

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

I'll try and experiment with it next time I drive. I get the idea it just temporarily releases the clutch to give you time to press the pedal and change down a gear or stop.

Clutch isn't controlled by anti-stall.

The car simply helps keep the revs up, so if you don't quite give it enough gas when crawling it will not stall. You can still stall the car though, if you lift the clutch too fast.

The idea is that when you are sat in traffic and keep dipping the clutch and moving forward it helps maintain revs.

It was a bit rev happy in my old Focus though and it made it sound like I was incapable of driving, haha.

If you have stop start, the car will also automatically restart if you stall it, after dipping the clutch again.

Also Matt, you know there is a difference between a fluid dynamics stall (i.e. on a plane) and the stalling of an engine, right? Two totally different things.

• Like 1

I love playing in traffic with it, was one of the first things I noticed on my car, basically it's possible to remove your foot off the clutch pedal without stalling the car in gear, it keeps the revs up.

On the airplane type of stall is when not enough airflow moves under the wings for it to create lift and the plane stalls and will fall out of the sky if not corrected

• Like 1

Clutch isn't controlled by anti-stall.

The car simply helps keep the revs up, so if you don't quite give it enough gas when crawling it will not stall. You can still stall the car though, if you lift the clutch too fast.

The idea is that when you are sat in traffic and keep dipping the clutch and moving forward it helps maintain revs.

It was a bit rev happy in my old Focus though and it made it sound like I was incapable of driving, haha.

If you have stop start, the car will also automatically restart if you stall it, after dipping the clutch again.

Also Matt, you know there is a difference between a fluid dynamics stall (i.e. on a plane) and the stalling of an engine, right? Two totally different things.

Thanks, I never mentioned anything about aviation by the way. And Ironically I've just finished aviation the the ground training. An aircraft stalls when their isn't sufficient lift to hold the plane up. A car stalls when a !Removed! like me is driving.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

• Like 2

I remember in my old car crawling up a pretty steep hill in traffic in 2nd without touching the gas at all, seemed wrong somehow lol.

I remember in my old car crawling up a pretty steep hill in traffic in 2nd without touching the gas at all, seemed wrong somehow lol.

Yeah My MK6 Fiesta could do that, was quite amusing. I think they toned it down a bit on the MK7, it starts labouring if you try that.

I'm going to have a play about tomorrow morning, I usually leave it in first anyway when in traffic but keep light pressure on the gas.

All it does is try to keep the engine rpm above idle. Obviously when you approach the bite point you're putting load onto the engine and the revs will drop, so its the computer stopping it stalling.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Ford OC mobile app

It's been a feature ever since electronic fuel injection was introduced, though in the early days, it could over react causing severe bunny hopping. There are now diesel cars with such high top gears they will continue to do over 35mph when left in top. So forums now have people going in misunderstanding what is happening, believing it is a fault and getting uptight when told "it is perfectly correct - you should change down".

In some respects it can be an inconvenience in a slow moving queue. Back when cars had carburettors there was no idle speed control so it was possible to let the car trundle in gear and just dab the brake to regulate speed. I have even been up a steep hill in first, letting it chug up at under 300rpm. Now the speed control fights braking so it is necessary to keep clutching/declutching to regulate speed.

• 7 months later...

Hi there, I have a fiesta ZS 2010 and I believe it has this "anti stall" device. As on many occasions I have gone to pull out of a junction or even away from traffic lights and it has cut in killing off my revs and power as it hasnt liked the way i pull away i guess! therefore im left stranded just coasting in the middle of the road untill it resets itself, nearly having had accidents multiple times.

Previous to this I owned a Golf MK3 GTI which i owned for 7 years and never had any problems like this. So before you say anything its not my driving lol.

So in short is there anyway of turning this "anti stall" off as it can be very dangerous! Im sure its fine for learners, but im not a learner. Rant over. Thanks for reading! :)

Edited by jeebowhite
Language!

Sounds more like traction control than anti-stall in your case.

• Like 1

I thought so to but shouldn't the ESP light on the dashboard flash or something if it is the traction control? Ill turn it off anyway and give it a go,ill be back moaning again if it isnt the traction control lol, also is there anyway of permanently switching off traction control to?

Cheers for your reply by the way.

Put more revs on!

My Focus does a similar thing if you don't put enough revs on or lift the clutch a bit too quickly.

Otherwise maybe a sensor problem, ESP or traction control would flash the ESP light and youd hear the pump working.

• Like 1

Ah i see. So ive got to turn off the ESP and rev the nuts off it lol! Im not used to this new fandangled technology, Why cant cars just let you drive them the way you want to :angry: Suppose they've got to be fitted with ESP etc for the plebs out there :P lol

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club