Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuse Help

FocusSmudge

Hi folks,

Just noticed the fuse for the ciggy lighters has blown again. Halfrauds is now closed and I need the 12v socket for tomorrow's long daily commute!

Is there another fuse I can pinch without it having a detrimental effect on the car?

local petrol fourcourt nearby ? they will have fuses.

local petrol fourcourt nearby ? they will have fuses.

Thanks, could try - not seen them in there before though. Have got all the spare fuses at home except this one grr!

looks like the 20amp fuses in your fuse box are fairly essential.for door locks etc, is there a 20amp fuse in f59, could use that one

have you got owners manual and look in there to see what each 20amp fuse does

Thanks Ian, will go check.

I'd be more concerned at what was blowing a 20 amp fuse!, thats a hell of a current, Likely to be melting wires and burning stuff

I'd be more concerned at what was blowing a 20 amp fuse!, thats a hell of a current, Likely to be melting wires and burning stuff

Second time it's blown but not sure why. I just assumed a coin dropped in would be enough to blow a fuse?

whole point of fuse is to stop melting wires and burning stuff, what ever your putting in the cigar lighter is drawing to much current or faulty, or could be something shorting in the socket

A coin will definitely short the lighter socket and blow the fuse, They have caps to stop that sort of thing. Yes, the fuse protects the wiring, but all depends on how quick it blows, not unusual for fuse to take a few seconds to go

Basically be careful and don't drop metal in the ciggy lighter!, if its something you do a lot then put a 15amp fuse in to be safe

I do have a cap on which made me wonder how it blew. The only time I've used it recently, after replacing the fuse previously was with a cheap phone charger socket from a garage forecourt.

Which ironically worked only the once...

Suspect the phone charger then. if that's all that's on the circuit then you can use anything 5amp and above to fix it

What would be your recommendation on which fuse to use?

If you have all the dudes except the size you need, down rate it and go for the next size down.

Sometimes ciggy lighter plugs just don't fit into the socket well and can short out the fuse quite easily.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club