Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Audio Upgrade Help Needed

Hell5200

Currently planing on upgrading the Speakers in my focus.

I have already got the front Speakers I have chosen infinity kappa perfect 6.1. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_2742_Infinity-Kappa-Perfect-6.1.html

And I have chosen an underseat sub. http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-pioneer-ts-wx110a_p-27226.htm

Was looking at getting this amp to power the Speakers

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/25/29/182/GM-D8604/page.html

Does it matter if it is more powerful than my speakers as long as I don't blast the volume?

Also I will be changing the rear speakers as well.

Does it matter what gauge wire I use?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

Nice choice of Speakers there. I think another member, Mr_Spock has them in his Focus as well. His thread is full of useful information as he stripped his car's interior completely for the install.

I am sure that others will jump in to say that an over powered speaker is better than an underpowered one. From my limited knowledge, that's what I did to my setup. My Focal Speakers are rated 80W Nominal power (Max power 160W) and my amplifier supplies 150W rms at 4Ohms. I left it at that and it works without any problems. I am no expert in any way :)

As for wires, I used the ones supplied with the Vibe wiring kit and it worked without any issues. Unsure about what gauge it was. Oxygen free Copper and it was flat which helped with the install

While you are in the process of an audio install, do consider sound deadening materials. Makes significant difference to your sound and it doesn't have to cost a lot. Silent Coat 2mm sound deadening material is what I would recommend from personal experience with the product. Cheaper than Dynamat and as effective. No need to cover the whole door, just strategically placed strips will do the job.

Other members here are much more knowledgeable than me and I am sure they will help out :)

Was looking at getting this amp to power the speakers

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/25/29/182/GM-D8604/page.html

Does it matter if it is more powerful than my speakers as long as I don't blast the volume?

Well, usually, either the amp is more powerful than the Speakers or the Speakers are powerful than the amp (although the numbers tend to be quite unreliable, and subject to 'marketing', so you might not even know which is which).

If the Speakers are more powerful and you drive the amplifier too hard (in to clipping), the speakers are still at risk. If the amplifier is more powerful, you can drive the speakers too hard, and the speakers are at risk.

So, really, to be safe, you've got to avoid turning the wick up too far, irrespective.

Does it matter what gauge wire I use?

From the amplifier to the drive units, yes, to the under-seat thingy, no (unless you wire to the drive units via the under seat).

Power to the under seat also matters. Obviously, all wires have a current rating, and the fuse should always go first, so the wire has to be higher-rated than the fuse But, broadly, bigger gauge wire is better there.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Hassen. I read through Mr_Spocks guide quite a while ago and decided I would install sound deadening as well. I already started this over the weekend :) got both the front doors done so far and nearly the boot. Will also look into the vibe wiring kits.

Thanks for clearing that up for me BOF have you got any recommendations to brands of wire?

Or is it all relatively the same.

post-40390-0-79990800-1429565023_thumb.j

• Like 2

It isn't that it all the same so much as I've never really done back-to-back testing on wire. There are differences, in some cases it may be subtle, but there are real differences.

In general, though, for the high current leads (from the amps to the speaker drive units, the power to an amp or the sub), more copper is better. But, it is all a bit 'what works, works and what doesn't work, doesn't work'.

• Like 1

Great to hear you getting the sound deadening sorted. I think it's well worth it. I see you already have the Silent Coat on. More pictures please :)

As for the wiring kit, I used the 4AWG kit to wire both my amps and they worked well for me. Worth it from Halfords with the discount card.

Check out my build thread when you get a chance. Have fun as this will make a big difference in sound.

Are you getting a new head unit as well? Also, an alternative to the underseat sub is a dedicated custom box housing a 10" subwoofer such as the one I used. You will need a second mono amp or you could use the 4 channel speaker in bridged mode to power the subwoofer. In that situation, you could just disconnect the rear Speakers so that they don't muddy the sound. Lots of options and the beauty of it is that you could do it in stages with budget permitting. That way you have something to look forward to every time you get a new part installed. I did my sound upgrade over the course of several months by adding parts slowly. It was great fun that way as I purchased the best parts I could afford one bit at a time.

Yeah going to have to order another box of silent coat soon :).

Yes I have the pioneer app radio fitted as soon as brought the car. I'm a bricklayer and have an estate so I need the boot free at all time so cannot fit sub in there :(

Also I only started this build because my rear Speakers stopped working lol so have to put some in.

Will take some more pictures next time I do some more work :)

• Like 2

Managed to do some more sound deadening today got one of the rear doors done post-40390-143075313004_thumb.jpg and the boot post-40390-143075315617_thumb.jpgpost-40390-143075317092_thumb.jpg had to cut it into smaller strips to manoeuvre behind and poked it up with a pair of scissors. Decided to get a vibe kit for the wiring.

• Like 2

Very neat job. I didn't bother disassembling the whole door to put the deadening material. You did a way more thorough job than me :)

Does the car sound much quieter now on the road?

Haven't been out in it since I've done them. But when I did the two front doors it dropped a bit. It was awkward dissembling the rear door I just couldn't get the glass out so wedged it up out the way hoping it didn't fall. Yes it's soon eating away at my box of silent coat. Hoping the rest of this box will do the floor.

• Like 2