Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlights

thomas123

Hey guys looking to get ice white head light bulbs to take the yellow tinge away,as I like the ice white look,can any of yous recommend what bulbs to buy & where from ? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

If you're not bothered about the bulbs being road legal, then HIDs will give you the best light. About 5000k is closest to white I think, any higher and you get a blue tint, which is good if you want that.

If you want road legal bulbs the highest colour temp you can get is about 4200k I think, which is an improvement over standard but still a bit yellow. There are some that are 4300k which is almost white (e.g. Philips CrystalVision) but I don't know if anything above 4200k is road legal.

If you're not bothered about the bulbs being road legal, then HIDs will give you the best light. About 5000k is closest to white I think, any higher and you get a blue tint, which is good if you want that.

If you want road legal bulbs the highest colour temp you can get is about 4200k I think, which is an improvement over standard but still a bit yellow. There are some that are 4300k which is almost white (e.g. Philips CrystalVision) but I don't know if anything above 4200k is road legal.

Some manufacturers offer 4300k & 5k HIDs. It's road legal If it's in a projector. MOT passable if its in a projector, self levelling is fitted & washers are fitted and functioning

Exceptions to the projector rule is cars that are made with reflectors designed for HIDS

Philips diamond vision claim to produce 5000K however they are not technically road legal so you might as well get HIDs. Osram cool blue intense claim to be 4200K and they are road legal, the problem is that whiter halogen bulbs tend to also put out less light which is why many people choose to go with other alternatives like HIDs or even LEDs.

There seems to be a bit of confusion about colour temps but my HIDs are 4300K and appear pure white in the headlamps and on the road.

Some manufacturers offer 4300k & 5k HIDs. It's road legal If it's in a projector. MOT passable if its in a projector, self levelling is fitted & washers are fitted and functioning

Exceptions to the projector rule is cars that are made with reflectors designed for HIDS

Yes if they have self levelling and washers they would pass an MOT, but that sounds pretty expensive to have retrofitted. I've heard that some people have passed MOTs with HIDs in a standard projector without levelling or anything, but that's probably a bit hit and miss. Am I right in thinking that anything that would fail an MOT is not roadworthy and therefore not legal (i.e. HIDs without levelling & washers)?

Philips diamond vision claim to produce 5000K however they are not technically road legal so you might as well get HIDs. Osram cool blue intense claim to be 4200K and they are road legal, the problem is that whiter halogen bulbs tend to also put out less light which is why many people choose to go with other alternatives like HIDs or even LEDs.

There seems to be a bit of confusion about colour temps but my HIDs are 4300K and appear pure white in the headlamps and on the road.

Yes there is definitely some confusion about colour temps, especially about what is white and what isn't. I think it's hard to tell without something really white to compare to. For example if you had HIDs at a higher colour temp your DRLs would look yellow in comparison, but at 4300k they probably match the DRLs quite nicely (same for me with Crystalvisions).

Here's a good picture that helped me understand colour temps:

colour-temperature-chart.png

I fitted bixenon projectors along with h1 5K HidS and the car passed an MOT without a mention :)

colour-temperature-chart.png

Its surprising how white even 4300K is when compared to the DRLs:

post-60600-0-34525200-1430088591_thumb.j