Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums Messages

Club Announcements

Discounted Car Insurance: Owners Club insurance could save you money on your car insurance. Get a quote

Review your Ford: Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours and review your Ford now

Ford Car Parts: View All ford car parts by category. Look for Ford Car Parts now!

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kev6474

belt squealing

6 posts in this topic

can anyone help

I had a squealing from my belt drive Ive had the tension pully replaced and a new belt all was ok for a couple of days but the squealing is back its not as bad more of a squeaking now than a squealing and does go away after a while when it happens it squeaks when idle nad when driving

its an 2002 1.8 turbo diesel

can anyone help

I had a squealing from my belt drive Ive had the tension pully replaced and a new belt all was ok for a couple of days but the squealing is back its not as bad more of a squeaking now than a squealing and does go away after a while when it happens it squeaks when idle nad when driving

its an 2002 1.8 turbo diesel

Probably some oil or similar on one of the pulleys or the belt

Probably some oil or similar on one of the pulleys or the belt

Thanks for the reply will give it a try

Thanks for the reply will give it a try

I think you may have misunderstood the previous reply, you may already have oil on the belt causing it to slip, do not put oil or wd40 or such onto your drive belts. If you suspect slip and the belt is correctly adjusted, then try a little talc or french chalk on the belt & pulleys, it will roughen the surface to give more bite, you will probably need new belt anyway.

I think you may have misunderstood the previous reply, you may already have oil on the belt causing it to slip, do not put oil or wd40 or such onto your drive belts. If you suspect slip and the belt is correctly adjusted, then try a little talc or french chalk on the belt & pulleys, it will roughen the surface to give more bite, you will probably need new belt anyway.

Thanks for the reply bob

the belt is only three days old the noise is a squeaking from the pulleys the belt doesnt look like its slipping when first started the noise is there when idle and when driving it first disapears when idle and after a short while when driving the noise then goes completly will try the talc

thanks again

just thought id put an update on for anyone else with this problem in the end the new tension pulley was a faulty one had it replaced again its now been a week and no squeak