Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Start Problem 2004 2L Tdci

Swisstonihasher

Okay 2004 tdci 2l, had issue while back with odd cranking session giving grinding noise. That was 6 months ago and had starter motor changed. Had it two times since but seemed to go away. This morning with engine cold i couldnt get car to start...ignition lights etc but not even turning over...just nothing at key position 3. Third time tried and she started straight away. Went lunch from work later in day and she started first time, trying get back work though she just wouldnt turn over..no cranking again like earlier in day.

Aa said it might be the ignition barrel but i wonder if its the battery as with ignition on this mornjng it was 12.3 and later on at lunch it was 12.4 with igniton on. Its 16 months old, alternator charging 13.4 to 14.5 depending on needs so knwo thats working at all times.

battery seem low? Would pcm not activate if battery that low?

i would say its the battery.im sure it should be reading around 12,7 or above when running.

what does the on board diagnostic say the battery is?

Sorry might not bee clear 12.4 is with engine ignition on...had 12.1 this morning. 12.4 at lunch time. When engine runni g alternator is putting in 13.4 to 14.5 at all times so no issue there.

Does anyone know if the P0380 error code could be from a battery running low all the time (12.4 or below) or from the faulty glow plug relay, or could the glow plug relay cause a leak which could drain the battery?

I'm getting a non cranking car, its not that it wont start, when it does turn over it starts first time every time. Any ideas what will cause the car not to turn over? Ignition barrel seems to be okay?

it could well be related, however as said, 12v should be at ignition off, whereas the engine running sould be close to 14.

There was a also a defect with the MK1 where salt water from the roads could corrode the harness or its relay, and would require replacement, so it could be either of those.

Any places recommend to get the Glow Plug Relay from? Fordparts want £50 just for the relay.

I've been charging the battery every night now and she starts instantly with voltages from 12.8 to 12.5 before cranking, I'll replace the battery shortly as I cannot do anything with warranty now that the place I bought it from has gone into administration.

You can, if the cars not satisfactory and you gave the car on finance or paid more than 100 quid for any part of the car on a credit card then you can invoke the consumer credit agreements which mean your payment people have to take the buck.

Okay things have settled a little with this since I'd removed the engine radiator cabling as I knew the module was leaking to earth and did ohms test to prove it (P0691). With cable disconnected, no P0691 code and the battery is staying around 12.8 at night and starting with glow plugs of 12.2 ish instead of 11 or sometimes 10.5 for a short second or two till glow plugs go out. I've still got P0380 being posted but she starts so well I might just replace the relay and not bother with the nightmare glow plugs.

Replacement rad and module on way...should have her sorted soon!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Okay week later after fitting replacement rad and rad control module plus removing the wiring that ford did during the recall...starting issue came back. Wouldnt start at all, turn key and click. Checked relays and fuses. Ended up local garage took it and 280 notes later i have replacement nee starter and more importantly a new starter cable with built in 100 amp fuse or whatever its set at. Id read another article with focus same issue, starter cable fuse breaks and its not shown in haynes manual. Car been dandy since.