Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying Advice Please 1.6 Ecoboost

WES180

Hi everyone. Going to buy a 2012 Focus Zetec S 1.6 Ecoboost tomorrow and was just after some advice from you all if there is anything to look out for? Just sold my Cmax Zetec 1.6 petrol and to be honest I cant wait to get into something with a bit of power again!

Thanks in advance

Wes

I think someone mentioned a recall the other day...not sure on model and engine tho...might be worth a check on dvla

I dont mind a recall as long as its free! Was just looking for any pointers on known problems that people have come across. My mechanic mate at Fords couldnt think of any so that was a good start. He doesnt own one though so can only comment on what has come through the garage or not in this case!

My last Focus was a 1.6 Ecoboost, no problems at all. Start/stop was a bit temperamental, but a new battery solved that. Enjoy the power.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC mobile app

Cheers Andy. Ive already priced the Bluefin unit for it to unleash a further 20bhp, will see if it needs it first. Im sure after the cmax it should feel rapid for a while. Had a 240bhp Astra VXR prior to the cmax though and I loved the power hence looking at making a little quicker!

I think someone mentioned a recall the other day...not sure on model and engine tho...might be worth a check on dvla

Just checked on Ford Etis and nothing listed on there so all good on the recall front for now! :)

I've own one too, a 2012 titanium rather than a zetec s model though. The engine is an absolute peach - powerful, loads of torque, warms up to normal temp on gauge within a mile even in cold weather, smooth and refined. I average 35 mpg in mixed driving.

Watch out for:

1. Clutch. I had a new one fitted at 13 k miles because 1st & reverse gears were stiff and when hot the clutch juddered one 1st gear pull away. I had a new one fitted under ford warranty FOC but now if you do 5-6 hill starts in quick succession I get 'clutch whoop' - it doesn't affect its operation and has cured the judder issue but do check for this on test drive. Seems they can't handle heat too well. The clutch they replaced had blue heat marks on it apparently which caused the judder.

2. 1st (and sometimes 2nd) gear are still intermittently stiff, so give them a good work out to check them.

The above may just be isolated to my car, but be sure to thoroughly check these things. You could ask them if any past warranty work has been done too for peace of mind. I also bought mine 2nd hand (9.5k on the clock) so it could've been previous user abuse on the clutch but who knows.

I can't think of any other issues. Start stop and all the other electronics work fine for me.

Feel free to ask anything specific etc. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

And FYI the recall related to a coolant hose splitting and causing the engine to mash itself on the 1.0 ecoboost, not the 1.6 ecoboost. There are no recalls against my car on ETIS.

Another generic point to watch (and I do this on my car) is to stick to the service schedule and allow the turbo to idle for 20-30 secs after a 'hot' run to allow it to cool down. They are water cooled and the fan kicks in when engine off if it's too hot but better to be safe than sorry. It's oil & water cooled during operation but the oil stops being pumped when the engine switches off, leaving the water and fan alone to do the job.

Thanks Dave. Good to see there are not loads of problems to look out for then. Luckily it still has 3 months manufacturers warranty remaining so that is reassuring at least. Oh well, time to log off as my eyes are fried! I will post tomorrow how I get on and if I have a shiny car on the drive.

Cheers everyone.

Another generic point to watch (and I do this on my car) is to stick to the service schedule and allow the turbo to idle for 20-30 secs after a 'hot' run to allow it to cool down. They are water cooled and the fan kicks in when engine off if it's too hot but better to be safe than sorry. It's oil & water cooled during operation but the oil stops being pumped when the engine switches off, leaving the water and fan alone to do the job.

Good tip thanks Dave, this car needs to last a few years so will look after that turbo!

Same, I'm not one to have a brand new car and chuck it in after a couple of years continuously!

I bought a 1.6 ecoboost in January on the recommendation of people on here. It was a toss up between that and a couple of tdci's I could choose from. Im glad I went with the 1.6 ecoboost. The engine is amazing and the car is a joy to drive. Ive had a mk1 focus and a mk2 focus before this and I would say the mk3 is quite a big step forward on what was already a decent car. Touch wood, I have had no issues although I would agree with the post re: stop/start. I have only had it work a few times and that was after more than 30 minutes driving. My usual routes are less than 15 minutes so I guess it is an issue where the battery isn't in the peak ideal condition for stop start to activate. Im well impressed with mine that sometimes I just go out in it for nothing other than to enjoy driving it which means it must be good.

• Like 1

Cheers Bulk, another positive comment. Seems to be a good choice then seeing as nothing off putting has come up. Cant wait to get it, no more sleeps now anyway!!!

The recall for the coolant return hose is currently only for some production batches of the 1.0 ECOboost engine. However some production batches of the 1.6 ECOboost did have a similar design coolant return hose which is also modified during production. There are also some reports of coolant return hose failure on the 1.6 ECOboost but not as much as on the 1.0 ECOboost.

The problems with the coolant return hose on both the 1.0 and the 1.6 ECOboost engines are known by Ford for a long time. Just recently they started the recall.

Personally I would change the coolant return hose for the modified version. The hose itself does only cost €25,- and can prevent you from a lot of trouble.

When I bought my 1.0 ECOboost last year I asked the Ford dealer to change the hose. At that time the dealer was already aware of the problem. They even showed me a letter which described this problem and recommends to change the affected return coolant hoses during service. At that time the hose of the 1.0 ECOboost was not covered by warranty so the customer had to pay for it.

Thanks JW, will look into that after ive bought it. My mate gets me discount on parts too so will be a cheap job to be on the safe side. Will keep an eye on Etis too to see if it comes up as a free recall.

Cheers

The Ford dealer I bought my car from changed the hose for free when I bought the car.

Well everyone, Ive picked the car up and i love it!!! Got a brilliant deal on it private sale and was happy to buy it from a nice genuine couple. Not been able to give it a good run yet as not long got home and then had to give it a wash due to motorway dirty water all over it. I couldnt let my workmates see my new car filthy in the morning so it had to be done. Cant wait to give it a blast tomorrow. The seller told me to give it a little stick on an empty road to see how it went and needless to say i didnt need telling twice! I was impressed with the smooth power delivery and also the drive quality and road holding.

Very happy indeed! :)

• 1 year later...
On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2015 at 7:09 AM, JW1982 said:

The problems with the coolant return hose on both the 1.0 and the 1.6 ECOboost engines are known by Ford for a long time. Just recently they started the recall.

Personally I would change the coolant return hose for the modified version. The hose itself does only cost €25,- and can prevent you from a lot of trouble.

Sorry to resurrect an older thread - but any ideas on the part number for the return hose? my 1.6 EB return hose that feeds back into the reservoir has started to fail and needs replacing...

Ford have checked if it comes under the recall and mine doesn't and the 12 month warranty doesn't cover hoses so id rather change it myself than the 120-150 quoted by Ford to replace it.

20 minutes ago, Tomson said:

Sorry to resurrect an older thread - but any ideas on the part number for the return hose? my 1.6 EB return hose that feeds back into the reservoir has started to fail and needs replacing...

Ford have checked if it comes under the recall and mine doesn't and the 12 month warranty doesn't cover hoses so id rather change it myself than the 120-150 quoted by Ford to replace it.

If you've had the car less than 6 months, your statutory rights are better than any warranty.

I didn't realise the 1.6 ecoboost was affected by the failing coolant hose like the earlier 1.0 ones were?? Does anyone have a picture of the pipe in question?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1.0 ECOboost:

focusslangnieuw10.jpg

Old type of coolant return hose.

focusslangnieuw10-1.jpg

New modified type of coolant return hose.

1.6 ECOboost:

slangoud16.jpg

Old type of coolant return hose.

slangnieuw16.jpg

New modified type of coolant return hose.

These pictures are copied from the Dutch Focusclub forum.

Next to the coolant return hose the coolant reservoir is also a point of concern on the 1.0 and 1.6 ECOboost engines. The direct injected, turbocharged 1.0 and 1.6 ECOboost engines have a relative high coolant temperature. The coolant temoperature of these engines is significantly higher than the coolant temperature of a conventional naturally aspirated petrol engine. The relative high coolant temperature causes the material of the coolant reservoir to deteriorate prematurely. This results in microcracks and discoloration of the reservoir. Eventually this can also cause engine damage as a result of a cracked coolant reservoir.

DSC04750_zpssdqmawc5.jpg

20160410_082157bewerkt_zpsts5nf9xq.jpg

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor JW focus 3 koelvloeistof reservoir

20160410_082005%20bewerkt_zpsg1gl4jad.jp

The coolant reservoir is pretty cheap so in case of discoloration or microcracks it should be replaced.

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

Anyone have part numbers for the tank and new return hose?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk