Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk2 1.8 Petrol Dura He 2008 - Lumpy Until Warm

Porter

Morning all,

Picked up an 08 Focus Mk2 recently and its great:

56K Miles

1.8ltr Petrol

Runs fab but only when warm. On a morning when its cold and I start it, it seems to be struggling on idle. The needle isnt moving up and down like others report but it almost sounds like its not running on all cylinders. Bit squeaky, chuggy and strained.

Drive off and its a little bit jerky but not terrible, first couple of junction stops it dips a bit and feels like it might cut out but doesn't. After a couple of miles and when the engine is up to temp its fine, runs fine and sounds fine, idle is fine. Like there was never an issue.

Read codes and well there are none to read. Physically inspected the engine for leaks, tears on hoses etc and nothing. This is just a cold start issue that does go away after a short run.

So my question is really more of a straw pole to see if this is normal for this engine? Is it something that might be just because its been stood on a forecourt for a while and will clear up after a week or so of driving? (had it 2 days)

Is it a known problem, are there any things that are known to cause this?

I could take this back to the garage, but its 40 miles away and they will want to keep it over night and it s a hassle so would prefer to do what I can first.

I have done some google searches and forum searches but not really hit anything that matches my scenario. I see a lot of cold start issues with the 1.8 diesel but not so much the petrol.

Any comments, help and advice welcome please.

Thanks

Whats its service history?

Based on what you said it being stood for a while, It may have missed its service.

So a good service may resolve the issues you have.

Whats its service history?

Based on what you said it being stood for a while, It may have missed its service.

So a good service may resolve the issues you have.

Well, I am assuming it may have been stood for a while or at least not driven much. It had a service before I picked it up but I do not know what that consisted of really. Thanks for the response. I will keep this one in my pocket for the moment and if nothing else comes up I may pay for another service.

You can check. Just take a spark plug out, check the dipstick.

The Duratec HE is a good, reliable unit normally with little that goes wrong with it. Have you visually inspected the air hoses, as at a long shot it could be caused by a hairline split, that when it heats up the rubber expands and stops the problem. Just a thought. Also, I would do as others have said and check to see if it has actually had a service. It may just need a good run to blow the cobwebs out.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to come back and update this thread for anyone else that may have the issues I described. Its not all good news though.

Car has now had:

Air filter

oil Filter

oil (The correct type)

Plugs (NGKs) (Said there was no signs of water in there)

4 new coil packs

Aux drive belts replaced (Not related but since I didnt know the full history I wanted them done)

Also:

No supermarket fuel

Has been on several long runs, been driven carefully and hard (to clear any potential blockages)

Current state:

Sounds better and feels better, previously felt like it was maybe running on 3 pots) and when its warm it runs lovely. Other issues such as jerky-ness have gone.

Remaining problems. First thing on a morning, it wants to stall when I first move off. Until warm it rev hunts between 500-1200rpm and feels like it wants to stall when I stop at junctions.

Fuel economy is poor. 22-25mpg on mixed

The Duratec HE is a good, reliable unit normally with little that goes wrong with it. Have you visually inspected the air hoses, as at a long shot it could be caused by a hairline split, that when it heats up the rubber expands and stops the problem.

I was thinking this too, as if it seals up when it expands. I have looked all around it and cant find anything.

So now, with my limited car knowledge, I am thinking MAP sensor or a split hose I cant find. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Could be a split hose or something, not sure.

Mine had a spilt hose replaced before I bought it, runs sweet as and as of today has 129,000 on the clock. Wish I could help further

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP

I've got a variation on the OP's problem. Mine starts and idles fine, hot or cold, but goes through a jerky phase for between 15 and 30 seconds about a minute after I drive away. I haven't had it diagnosed so far as it's not a major enough issue to justify the cost but I'd love to know what's causing it.

I've got a variation on the OP's problem. Mine starts and idles fine, hot or cold, but goes through a jerky phase for between 15 and 30 seconds about a minute after I drive away. I haven't had it diagnosed so far as it's not a major enough issue to justify the cost but I'd love to know what's causing it.

This aspect of my problem disappeared after oil, oil filter and air filter. I had the plugs and coils changed on another day which is how I know it wasn't those that fixed it. I bought the oil and supplied the garage because I wanted to be 100% certain they used the right stuff.

Does the car start first time most off the time? Or does it sometimes die?

Does the car start first time most off the time? Or does it sometimes die?

Starts every time really. It isnt until the pedal is pushed and the revs rise, then drop when the pedal comes up again that I see a problem.

Try cleaning throttle body. Might be the gap it uses to idle is blocked. But the really does depend on car as some use a separate system to idle etc.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club