Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Tax

Jimbo67

Expecting to get my new car around 23rd May but will I be better off waiting until 1st June as not to lose a months tax or can the dealer still tax the new car for twelve months plus one week like they could on the old system,

I wouldnt be able to wait personally for the sake of maybe losing under £20 when youre spending thousands on a car.

• Like 2

My new car was taxed on the 24th of this month and on the Gov.uk website is showing as not due again until may 1st 2016.

Ive just picked my new used car up and had to tax it, didnt think was worth risking waiting until friday 1/5/15 even though the guy i bought it off has it already taxed. It would be just my luck i would get a fine for not declaring off road for 1 day! I couldnt wait until friday anyway, i am too excited at my new purchase to not be out driving it!

If the vehicle is not on a SORN on the day of sale then technically it is taxed until DVLA receive the V5C from the seller.

You could always ask the seller to hang on to the V5C for a couple of days but if it doesn't reach DVLA until after the 1st of the month then that months rebate is lost.

I don't think it works like that Stoney? I've sent the V5 (and the tax refund slip in previous years) off on the last day of the month, dating it in that month, and always received the full refund, even though they wouldn't have received it until a few days into the next month.

You also technically have to tax it before even driving home, can't drive on the previous owners tax at all now as I understood it?

I seen posts of many people be fined for doing just that. The rule is that you must be taxed before collection. DVLA are using fine as a money machine

I don't think it works like that Stoney? I've sent the V5 (and the tax refund slip in previous years) off on the last day of the month, dating it in that month, and always received the full refund, even though they wouldn't have received it until a few days into the next month.

You also technically have to tax it before even driving home, can't drive on the previous owners tax at all now as I understood it?

If you re-read my post I said 'technically'.

There will be a period when you buy the car that the existing tax will still be valid as DVLA will not record the tax as cancelled until they receive the V5C stating that the vehicle has changed hands.

When we do a PNC check it only reports tax is held/current, it does not state who paid the tax.

Previously there was the 14 day rule, this no longer exists and therefore technically you can be fined. Purchase from a dealer you car will PNC 99% of the time as untaxed. Purchased privately the will be a period of double tax unless you collect on the 1st of the month. Sadly the even though two people have pad tax only the new owners tax payment counts as a legally taxed car.

Why bother trying to bump the system, most cars tax is relatively low and the fines relatively high.

• Like 1

I got told when u buy a second hand car. you have one day till you have to tax it. so you can get it home ect. not sure how that works if it isn't taxed or that. but then say it's a Sunday and you cant do it online and post office is closed I'm guessing that idea makes sense there,

I bought my focus the first week of december last year under the new rules which came in october 1st and the new owner has to tax the vehicle before they can bring it home. there are three ways to tax a car currently:

1. Post Office (check the local openning times)

2. DVLA Telephone (mon-fri only)

3. DVLA Online via home computer or moblie internet any day or time

I bought my car on a sunday and used my mobile phone to tax the car all I needed was the reg number, the code off the new keeper suppliment (should be 11 digits) and my bank card details. The process took me around five/ten minutes on a 3G connection.

• Like 1

Yea but if there's no paper work then it's impossible to tax so think that's why u get one day so you can take it home and it came from some.one that buys and sells them but doesn't have trade plates so.there must be some truth to it but yea easy enough if u have paper work or its all ready taxed

Anyone selling a car must supply the new keepers supplement from the V5C and send the rest back thenselves.

Only a total plum would buy a car without a V5C.

• Like 1

The new rules do not have that flex in them if there is no paperwork for the vehicle or the buyer/seller doesn't have trade plates then the car cannot be driven by the new owner until they have taxed it, the vehicle must be trailered away and stored on private land if that is the case until the log book arrives for the new owner.

Edit:

If the above is not done the vehicle can legally be taken by the police at the time and crushed when the logbook/new keeper suppliment cannot be produced.

• Like 1

The new rules do not have that flex in them if there is no paperwork for the vehicle or the buyer/seller doesn't have trade plates then the car cannot be driven by the new owner until they have taxed it, the vehicle must be trailered away and stored on private land if that is the case until the log book arrives for the new owner.

Edit:

If the above is not done the vehicle can legally be taken by the police at the time and crushed when the logbook/new keeper suppliment cannot be produced.

God knows where guy I know got his information from then thought maybe he explained it wrong or some thing