Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stop/start Problem

DBLOOM

Hi all, I'm wondering if somebody could perhaps point me in the right direction. I have a 2012 focus zetec s 1.6 ecoboost, and the stop/start appears to have stopped working. It was in the local ford garage yesterday and they found that the battery was only at 68% capacity so they started to charge it up, However because i need the car for the bank holiday i had to pick it up without getting the full charge so the technician told me i should trickle charge the car over night to full capacity and it should sort it. I consequently did this last night and this morning the smart charger confirmed the battery was full, yet after a long run this morning (to get everything up to temp) the stop/start will not work and the light where the button is,is constantly illuminated and won't do anything when i press it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sounds like a trip back to dealers, sure they'll be able to sort it.

Shouldn't cost you either if it was working when you went in.

it wasn't working when it went in, that was the reason the car was in to see if they could determine the problem. Their theory was that battery capacity was low but that doesn't seem to be the case. as its now full and it still isn't working. Its not the end of the world that it doesn't work just a bit of a bugbear

Ive had a 1.6 ecoboost titanium x since beginning of January and I have only seen stop/start 4 or 5 times and they were all back to back after a relatively long drive. My usual commute is around 10 miles and takes 15 to 20 minutes with the outward journey being in darkness and the heaters and screen heaters usually on quite high for half that journey. From what I have heard and what I have seen, the stop/start system is quite fussy/strict about when it kicks in.

yeah I've seen quite a few things about it being fussy. It used to work perfectly and then it just stopped. You would have thought with a fully charged battery it would have worked this morning though, especially with me not having any other instruments working (A/C, heaters etc)

Looks like it's been turned off via the OBD port, if you can't turn it back on using the switch; and, yes it's very battery voltage sensitive on the 1.6 ecoboost engine, a new battery solved mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

is there no home remedy that can cure it then? sounds like a phone call to the garage on tuesday then, unless anyone knows of a trick i can try?

IMHO turned off all the time is the best option, unless your car is station for large amounts of time. Its going to save .2 gal for every hour stationary assume the battery is charge the a/c is off etc etc. For me thats 14p a month being optimistic. It also hammers the battery so will shorten it's life.

Google it fords stop start doesn't work on most fords with no answers as to why

You can try resetting the battery monitoring now you have charged battery. It sorted another members car out after months of not working and told battery faulty. Cant remember sequence off hand but give me a few mins and I will check my old posts about it.

Ign on for 10 secs
press rear foglamp switch 5 times
press hazard switch 3 times
wait up to 10 secs while watching battery light
battery light flashes
ign off.

it may or may not fix your problem,worth a go though

• Like 1

Also check the switch itself. If its lit then the start/stop is off and will never happen

The light does become illuminated about 5 secs after i turn the car on and then won't let me turn it off to enable the stop/start. The button itself is fine so there is obviously an underlying reason. I have just tried the sequence ian and the battery light did flash so will see what happens now (fingers crossed)

• 4 weeks later...

Did you get it sorted

My car is now having this fault

Jamie

Would be good to know if he sorted it.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi. I've just joined the group and I've had a Ford Focus 1.6 tdci econetic for a month and the stop start technology has stopped. It has 48000 on the clock. Will it have to go into the garage to get this sorted? I've seen people go on about the battery is this an issue with this car? I've never had this before is it just with newer cars as I've only owned older models.

Edited by Lee cookson
Missed text out

I wish i could turn mine off perminanty i hate the poxy thing

you can with an elm and foccuus software, ah i just see you have a 2015 model, not sure if foccuus software works on the later focus. 

• Like 1

Yes it does.

I've used it on my 2015 ST3.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iantt said:

you can with an elm and foccuus software, ah i just see you have a 2015 model, not sure if foccuus software works on the later focus. 

Whats needed forscan and elm lead???

foccuus software,  russian software so you can modify the body control module sure someone can put a link up. i will tommorow if i remember. can be switched off as i did for a short while just to see if it could be done

• Like 2

1 minute ago, iantt said:

foccuus software,  russian software so you can modify the body control module sure someone can put a link up. i will tommorow if i remember. can be switched off as i did for a short while just to see if it could be done

Sweet mate

• 4 years later...

Appears to be a frustrating problem we ford owners have to suffer, I purchased a focus 2019 vignale estate, went back to my local dealer 4 times total of 19 days

fitted new batteries, battery monitor sensors updates, but the problem would not go away, eventually i sold the car assumed i was unlucky and had a rogue car.

I purchased another a 2020 focus estate vignale just 1350 miles, i have the same problem with this one, It went back to ford, Diagnostic said problem with Battery monitor sensor. New sensor fitted, latest update, They did fully charge the battery checked myself 12.69 volts, worked just six times on the way home, the car was then parked overnight, next morning battery check 12.26volts the stop start has has not worked since.

If you check your battery voltage you will find in the morning you will have a low charge, even if you fully charge your battery, (the stop start will work then) the next morning, low battery voltage no stop start, its has if there is a parasitic drain. Very frustrating . I have  turned off my wifi connection, don`t update using wifi anything i can to help the battery but nothing seems to work, have no idea how to help you guys, I don`t think ford have either.

I’m surprised Ford haven’t found what the problem is especially as so many owners have this issue. I keep auto updates on and have signal connection outside my house. My S/S , apart from a couple of months a year  ago , has worked pretty much every time since . 69 plate. You’d think if say half the focus mk4 SS doesn’t work but other half does they’d figure out the difference. Lot of owners don’t like SS , I think it’s better in the auto than manual. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club