Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Registration plate choice from dealer?

MyFiestaTitianium

Did any of you get the option to look at a list of plate registrations that you could choose from the dealer (although I realise it is the last 3 letters only where you would have a choice)? I have been told you can no longer do this and you just get assigned one, unless you want to pay for a private one of course? Is this true for all of you too?

Thanks in advance for any help. :rolleyes:

Car ordered on:

July 17th

Fiesta Titanium 1.4 5dr Auto

Moondust Silver

ESP

USB with bluetooth

Parking sensors rear

16" 7 spoke alloy wheels

Curtain air bags

Lumbar support

Full sized spare

Carpet mats

Delivery Date (possibly and hoping for) :)

26th September

Depends on the dealer,the smaller ones will usually let you do this if you want,the bigger group ones tend to do it centrally and have little control at individual dealer level.

From the dealers point of view theres no benefit,except a bit of goodwill,but it can take a lot of time on their part,its much easier and quickerjust to allocate a number to each car on a list ,without involving the customer.

Dave

Depends on the dealer,the smaller ones will usually let you do this if you want,the bigger group ones tend to do it centrally and have little control at individual dealer level.

From the dealers point of view theres no benefit,except a bit of goodwill,but it can take a lot of time on their part,its much easier and quickerjust to allocate a number to each car on a list ,without involving the customer.

Dave

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

I got to choose, but only because I asked... its one of those things, if you dont ask you dont get !

I got to choose, but only because I asked... its one of those things, if you dont ask you dont get !

Thanks. I have asked and they said no, but I wanted to check whether it was actually possible! When did you get yours?

Thanks. I have asked and they said no, but I wanted to check whether it was actually possible! When did you get yours?

i got my car in november last year, same time as we got the other one, so we wanted to number plates similaar, so we chose XX58XWF and XX58XWG.

but when i got my 55 plate and 07 plate, i chose then as well..

i got mine with evans halshaw so maybe a dealer thing.

I got mine in may and was allowed to choose from a list. All were rubbish really so I chose TFE as my mum said "ooh it's like 'the felicity'" haha, mothers! :blink:

i got mine with evans halshaw so maybe a dealer thing.

I got mine from Evans Halshaw (Leicester) but didn't get the choice.

I got mine frmo Evans Halshaw wrexham, and I got the choice from a list of nothing that exciting to be honest..

I didnt know you could choose so I never asked.

Ordered May collected in July and on the day of ordering we were presented with a list that we "had" to pick from, no stand out exciting regies DVLA probably hold them back but there ya go

Ordered May collected in July and on the day of ordering we were presented with a list that we "had" to pick from, no stand out exciting regies DVLA probably hold them back but there ya go

I think they designed the plates to be as dull as possible and then hold back anything half decent so they can sell it on at a minimum of £245!

Thanks for all your help with this. I think I'll check with the dealer again, now I know it can be done.

Now I just need the car. I wonder if the delivery date will stay the same?!? :rolleyes:

When I ordered my Fiesta in Inverness last september, I asked for the chance to choose from 5/6 numbers, so I could get one I could remember easily, and a fortnight before delivery, the dealer knew the VIN details, and got a small list of reg nos. from the local DVLA, and I had to choose one over the 'phone. He then put a weeks free insurance on the car in my name, and registered it in my name early, with me paying 2 weeks tax over the 12 months.

Sometimes dealers hold a list of numbers, and you can pick from those still left from that months allocation.

Thanks for all your help with this. I think I'll check with the dealer again, now I know it can be done.

Now I just need the car. I wonder if the delivery date will stay the same?!? :rolleyes:

Yes, you can choose.

When I bought my Mini Cooper in 2003 from Sytners Leicester they gave me a group of letters I could pick from.

I didn't bother with this one as I now have a private plate which, although expensive, is always transferred from car to car!

Most dealers are allocated batches of letters which they can allocate to their cars but you won't find anything special amongst them as obviously they will be reserved for DVLA to sell.

If you don't ask then they won't tell you :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

I got mine from Evans Halshaw Wrexham and had a choice from a list of about 25, 'FKU' was prob best on there

I asked about picking a reg and the dealer looked at me like I had two heads! It was from quite a big dealer network though so that would probably explain it. In the end I just said I didn't want something like BJ59NOB or anything like that. Saying that I did end up with a BJ! :blink:

I think geographical location has an impact on this. At my dealer I was told no I can't, the DVLA has apparently stopped it, but also where they are you've got Audi, Seat, VW, Land Rover, BMW. In the old day they all used to get assigned the same book with plates in and when someone chose one, they would then ring the DVLA or something only to be told can't have that as someone from the BMW dealer has just snapped it up and so on...

That's what my dealer told me and is the reason why to a lesser extent it's now stopped. Not bothered personally as the new system is so stupid it makes no odds what the plate is IMO?