Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tuning Boxes, My Experience And Fitting Them

jdsheff

Hi Dave,

If you want good low down torque with sensitive throttle response set it to 'high torque, low bhp' which I think is setting 7. Brilliant setting and it actually made me spend less money on fuel because you got to speed quicker. The first box paid for itself after a few months.

Ron has a sister company but charge alot more. Totally love this box.

If I was you, definitely blank the egr valve! The response it makes is 100% better. I got the tuning box first and was fab. As soon as I put the blanking plate in place the turbo and everything came in quicker. For the sake of £3 its well worth it! Personally I think you made the right choice.

I still got the horrible hesitation around 2,700rpm which I know only a remap will sort it. But to me its a small price to pay when iv got loads of options on the box at hand.

Funny you should mention the egr valve. Light came up on the dash last week and brought it to the dealers who said it was an egr valve problem. Car was in with them today and they replaced it under warranty so have a brand new one now free of charge. Was interested in blanking the egr like I did in my last 1.6 TDCI Focus but the Mondeo throws up a fault code on the dash if it's blanked.

Also my Ronbox arrived in the post today, just plugged it in there and set it to I think setting 7 or 8 and there is definitely a way stronger pull from it!...I'd say its somewhere around 165bhpish if I'm guessing. I'm going to mess around with a few different settings on the box and see which suits my car best. One thing I'm wondering, is there a way to tell which number on the box the dial is turned to or do you just have to remember off the top of your head?

Hi Dave,

Glad to hear you had a nice little visit from the postman this morning lol.

Is your car the 1.6tdci (110bhp)? If so, I think 160+bhp is alittle optimistic lol.

Think im pushing close to 145-150bhp and goes like a rocket.

Yeh, have a play around with the settings. So are you happy with the purchase? Can you tell there is a bigger and better difference in performance? Its the reliability of the unit

Regarding the egr valve, give it ago and see what happens. If a error code comes about is there anyone with a code reader or a bluetooth odb reader to delete the code near you? I have both if you are close enough. Its a defo worth while mod. Even if it has been replaced.

Regarding to the dial, there should be a grey spindle which you use to turn the settings. Have a look in the packet. It might have come off like mine did in the post.

No I don't have the car that's in my photo anymore ha, my last car was a Focus 1.6 TDCi 110 but now I have a 2008 Mondeo mk4 2.0 TDCI 140bhp but for some reason I'm having problems changing my profile photo. That's why I was saying around 160bhp with the Mondeo, she could possibly be putting out more in fairness, if you accelerate hard now you genuinely move back in your seat. Overall I'm happy with the purchase yeah, I had my previous Focus custom remapped but I think you would notice the Synergy box with my Mondeo more so than the remap with the Focus. Especially for the price only 140euro delivered! I'm off work tomorrow so hope to play around with more of the settings and see which I find best for my driving style and get a better feel for the box.

In regards to the dial yeah there's a grey spindle to the left of the bottom of the box, but it doesn't seem to change what number the arrow is pointing to on the dial to let you know what number it's on...or is it not supposed to?

hi dave

that's great price delivered for the box look forward to your updates and comments

regards

paul

Hi Dave,

In relation to the grey spindle and what setting you are on should be mentioned on the instructions which came with the device.

Look ontop of the box. If the dial on the sticker say 9pm is setting 1, and the grey spindle is set at 9pm then you are on setting 1. If the grey spindle is set at 5pm, then you will probably be running setting 8. Get my drift lol.

But Yeh the mondeo should be much better then. Didnt realise it was for the vehicle and not the focus.

If you have any other questions give us a shout. Il try and help out as much as I can.

Kind regards. Joe

Hi Dave, drop me a pm letting me know the issue with your profile pic changing. I will try give you a hand to sort it out.

I took the car for a good spin today to get a better feel of the car with the Ronbox installed. There was a definite improvement in power but I still wasn't getting as much low down torque as I had hope to achieve. I had the box set on what I thought was level 8 which is maximum torque low bhp but when I looked it at today it was actually only on level 4. Now the car was an improvement on level 4 but on level 8 wow!...It seemed to completely transform the car. When I accelerated it was like the car got a kick in the !Removed! (in a good way) it was so responsive. The torque I would usually get around 3000rpm was now coming in around 1800rpm, with far better pull making the car easier and more fun to drive. Big thanks to Jdsheff for recommending this particular box because I am absolutely beaming with it. And to think I still have't even turned it up all the way to level 10 yet :) To be honest I was a bit skeptical of getting a tuning box in the first place but on performance so far it has genuinely passed my expectations. Would highly recommend the Synergy Ronbox!

Thanks jeebowhite, I hope to wash the car and take a few pictures tomorrow so I might send you a PM if I have problems trying to change my profile picture again

• Like 1

Hello there dave,

Did you actually see what I mean now regarding to the sticker on the box and where the dial was actually set. Its simple!

Yes the high torque, low bhp makes the car completely different. Much much better to drive. Fancy putting it on setting 4 lol.

Setting 9 was better for me with long distance driving. The throttle response was alittle less but more bhp past 3,000rpm. But like I said, my wife preferred setting 8 like you.

Setting 10 was abit of a let down, not only for me but for afew of my of my mates with different cars. Not sure why but feels like response and power goes down. Setting 9 in my book is all out power and torque. Settings 10 feels like 4. But you can only push so much fuel into a cylinder withput adjusting the timing I suppose. Ron did say he will retune the box on level 10 but I preferred what I had then. Now with me having the 2 channel, it goes nicely.

Your more than welcome fella. I thought I would share my total experience on this matter because you hear alot of crap regarding tuning boxes. 10 years ago, yes tuning boxes was shocking. They worked but didnt half make cars smoke! Now with the ability to finely tune and all the technology in these boxes makes them very safe. I haven't heard a car breakdown because of them. For the price, before and aftercare is spot on. Why the hell pay £250-£400 for a tuning box when you can have the same or better for cheaper. Made in Britain, not China!

Not only that, look at the options compared to a remap. Yes a remap is all round better to remove flat spots etc but not reversible unless you paid again.

Now for more response and better feel from the car, get that egr valve blanked off with a plate. The power will come in around 1600rpm with better or/and more power. The difference is amazing!!! You have got to try it.

Anyways im glad your happy and im really happy knowing my recommendation has surpassed all your expectations! Whats the point people bad mouthing decent tuning boxes hey. If i can help anymore just give us a shout.

Best regards. Joe

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more. Sadly there are dodgy people out there who put resistors in box and sadly they are more often than not branded as made in China. But your right they are much better and they are as good as remaps at points, but to finely tune to perfection always costs more.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club