Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2004 Mk1 Focus Intermittent Speedo Fault But Not Vss

Doug_YO

Hi All,

First post here, unfortunately in need of advice.

The speedo on my 2004 MK1 Focus stops working intermittently (stays at 0). This happens approximately every other journey. The odometer also stops recording miles when the speedo stops. This is accompanied by it occasionally stalling when I pull up to a stop as the engine falls back to idle. I have not noticed a lack of power as other people have but this could just be as I am gently driving around town. The same applies for the drop in radio level.

I have only noticed the speedo stopping working when I am moving off from stationery (it doesn't seem to stop whilst it is showing a speed). I have only done short journeys since this has started happening (less than 10 mins/3 miles) and it has yet to start working again. When I restart the car it resumes working.

Having read other posts here and on other forums I was relieved that it appeared to be the VSS. I got this changed but the same symptoms are occuring. All the other dials are working OK throughout.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I think its unlikely the new VSS is faulty. Incidently it was replaced by a previous owner in 2009.

Thanks in advance...

Doug

Have you checked the wiring for damage?

Could be worth getting the instrument cluster checked as they did have a habit of throwing a wobbly too.

Hi Stoney, thanks for your reply.

I have checked the wiring as far as I've looked at the cable coming from the sensor to where it goes into a loom. It does not look damaged.

I have done the dashboard diagnosic check and all four needles completed the full sweep. I drove round the block with it set to show the speed and it worked but the speedo was working too. Over the next few days I will continue to do this to see if that still reads the speed when the speedo stops.

What would getting the dash checked consist of? My gut feeling is that this will not be the case due to the stalling issue which only occurs (occasionally) when the speedo has already stopped working.

Thanks a lot, Doug.

Usually the stalling is a common symptom of VSS failure (the ECU takes speed readings from it to balance fuel/air mixes and injection timings).

The AVC (automatic volume control) on the radio also uses a VSS signal so as to calculate when to increase volume to overcome ambient engine noise so is another symptom of VSS problems.

As you say that the VSS has been changed (Twice?) I really do think that there is a connection error somewhere.

If no obvious damage is noted on the VSS loom maybe an Auto Electrician may be a good step.

If it turns out to be a cluster error then there are some very good companies that can sort that out for a reasonable fee.

http://www.clusterrepairsuk.co.uk/repair/model/ford-focus-instrument-cluster-speedo-mk1

A previous owner changed it in 2009 and it has been working OK up until a couple of weeks ago. I've only owned it since Christmas but it has never stalled before (and the speedo has been fine). I got the VSS changed (for the second time) this week as it appeared obvious that it was the cause of the fault.

I'm off to Manchester tomorrow so I'll see what effects are seen on the motorway, should be able to better judge if the radio is going quiet and if there is a lack of power. After that I'll look at getting a local Auto Electrician to have a look. Or choose to live with it as there is a reason I drive a 11 year old car!

Thanks a lot,

Doug.

keep us updated on this matter.

We had the same problem on our 03 1.8Tdci estate when we first bought it. The vss and cluster were both changed but didn't cure it. It was eventually found to be the loom chafing against the gear linkage. Has been fine since (7 years).

• Like 1

I'll have a look next week and see if this is the case. Drove 90 miles today and the speedo worked the entire way. Hopefully it could be something as simple as this.

Thanks, Doug.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Update here: I've had a look at the wiring around the sensor and it doesn't appear to be interfering with anything but there is a very tight turn on the wire where it enters the loom and it looks as if it has been pinched or something. Next weekend I'll be at my Dads and be able to have a proper look at this and see if there is any damage to the wiring.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Doug.

post-65371-0-95138800-1431879931_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Final update here:

Jiggling the wires did the trick. Now done 10+ journeys without it breaking. Taped them solid so they won't move now.

Thanks for all your help with this! Doug.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club