Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turbo Problem Big Style.

simcor

Well yet again I have the greatest luck in the world.

Because my turbo was whining I removed the oil feed to measure the oil supply, this measured at well over 330ml in way less than the required minute.

So oil supply was not an issue.

But somehow I must have cracked the banjo bolt hole when putting it back together, needless to say this car dumped all it's oil.

Bought a new banjo bolt and washers today to fit to it before I found the crack and it would not tighten up properly after cleaning all the excess oil off I could see why.

WP_20150509_14_26_22_Pro.jpg

So I am car less again at the moment, can't afford a new turbo right now and if I fit one myself it won't have any warranty or I have to pay a garage god knows how much extra to fit it and change all the required parts for the warranty to be valid.

So I either buy a new turbo and fit it and hope for the best, or pay a lot more than I can afford (would mean borrowing money from family) and get it done at a garage to have the warranty. Or I try and source a second hand turbo but breakers want £200 for a used turbo with next to no warranty.

They really have you over a barrel with a replacement turbo your scuppered no matter what you do.

Any ideas? I am fairly sure even a machine shop could not do anything with it, the only possible option might be getting it welded on the sides and try to refit it but I think it will still chuck oil out tbh.

Actually I am being a bit thick the cartridge replacement would be the cheapest option thinking about it, just time and money stripping the turbo and replacing the cartridge section.

Looks like I will be going on a crash course in turbo rebuilding.

People say talking to yourself is a sign of madness, but I often find talking it through even with yourself you come up with a suitable solution. This will also tell if it was the turbo making the whine noise and if it was I still need to find out why that happened otherwise this new cartridge will be shagged soon too.

Crikey...didn't realise you were the Hulk...

I'd go for a pro recon one over changing the cartridge DIY personally. All down to budget I guess though.

Neither did I TomsFocus but I wonder if it already had hairline cracks and I wrecked it completely trying to tighten it to stop it leaking.

Problem is with any turbo for warranty you need dealer invoices for parts changed and a proper garage invoice for the work, without that no warranty so would be hundreds of pounds down if it goes again.

So I am going down the cartridge replacement at 85 quid.

Received my Turbo cartridge today. Its from Turbo Technics and looks all good. Start rebuilding it tomorrow and see how we go.

good luck fella!

Well she is back together and running the whine seems to have gone, but I do have a bit of a boost leak somewhere, occasionally stutters and getting a bit of black smoke when I lose boost so going to have to investigate further but seems to be running OK other then that. Not got time right now to look for boost leak.

my old car used to stutter but that was due to the fuel filter getting clogged up (ran on veg oil/derv mix)

a bit of washing up liquid/water mix over any boost pipe connections and running the car (a friend revving it up) will help find any leaks as bubbles will appear!

Well just got to work and the banjo bolt is still leaking some oil. Not as bad as it was new banjo bolt new washers and a fibre gasket on it. Starting to annoy me now.

Did you fill the car with cheap scummy mineral oil and run it through the car and then change all the oil to whatever grade Fraud states after? Are you sure the smoke isn't from having too much oil?

Well just got to work and the banjo bolt is still leaking some oil. Not as bad as it was new banjo bolt new washers and a fibre gasket on it. Starting to annoy me now.

Did you fill the car with cheap scummy mineral oil and run it through the car and then change all the oil to whatever grade Fraud states after? Are you sure the smoke isn't from having too much oil?

No not had chance yet to do a full oil change just replaced the missing oil for now.deffo has not got too much oil in it.

Its not right sometimes it seems ok then other times its seems to be struggling to make boost.

Doesn't seem to be leaking oil now. On the plus side stuck it on my diagnostic's and had an error code saying EGR frozen. Fortunately I had a new EGR valve I bought but had not got round to fitting. Fitted that and hey presto problem solved, car runs like a dream again.

Bonus.

Nice. Well done for sorting that potentially expensive issue out yourself

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club