Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Trunk Streamer

modcol

Hi everyone,i am new to this site my name is Colin.I have a Focus 2009 Titanium and the trim above the boot grab handle has come loose.I can look in and all the clips have snapped.The lights for the rear number plate are in there.Any ideas would be appreciated on how a may be able to fix this please,as i would not know what part to look for.

Thanks,best wishes Colin

Welcome to the site Colin. You would get more replies if you started your thread in the focus forum. A moderator will probably move this for you later and hopefully someone can help you.

• Like 2

Thankyou Wes180 i wil try and do this now

you would be best of just buying a new one from eBay.i didnt like the chrome one on mine so got one in the matching colour of my car

• Like 1

Hi everyone,i am new to this site my name is Colin.I have a Focus 2009 Titanium and the trim above the boot grab handle has come loose.I can look in and all the clips have snapped.The lights for the rear number plate are in there.Any ideas would be appreciated on how a may be able to fix this please,as i would not know what part to look for.

Thanks,best wishes Colin

All moved for you.

Thankyou so much

you would be best of just buying a new one from ebay.i didnt like the chrome one on mine so got one in the matching colour of my car

Thanks,i bought one but only got the trim,no badge with it and it just has a primer and a adhesive tape that you have to heat with a hair dryer.Does that sound about right.

Best wishes Col

Got a feeling you've ended up with one off a pre-facelift Focus? - on the facelift version there's an oval plate on it where you fit the badge to and mine doesn't have any adhesive tape on it, just bolts on with 6 studs and 2 clips used to temporarily hold it in place while you bolt it up.

Thanks,yeah the one thats on has clips on the back that have all broken.Have you any advice as to what i should look for to fix.I only received the one with the adhesive tape on.

Thanks again everyone.Colin

Thanks,yeah the one thats on has clips on the back that have all broken.Have you any advice as to what i should look for to fix.I only received the one with the adhesive tape on.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, spotted my chrome effect boot handle appeared to be loose so stripped out the internal tailgate covering and removed the 6 bolts to release the boot handle. To say I was shocked at the way the handle has been constructed is an understatement. Where the clips are connected to the internal body of the handle they are too flimsy so will naturally break sooner than later! As previously mentioned the clips were broken in one position only so I mixed up araldite rapid and 'plastered' it onto the clips where they meet the main internal body of the handle, let it harden then refitted it onto the car (after also replacing the rear number plate bulbs.....I had access so why not) it's now solid so we'll see how long it lasts! I would recommend to anyone who either gets one from a breakers yard (or who actually pays Ford the extortionate amount they ask for it!) to get some araldite and reinforce the clips BEFORE putting it onto the car. The chances are you will not regret it and your new shiny handle should last a lot longer before breaking again!

On 12 May 2015 at 9:36 PM, modcol said:
On 11 May 2015 at 5:03 PM, modcol said:

Look at my post above if you still have the broken clips on the handle, araldite rapid works wonders if mixed correctly. I used to work in a well known company making parts for aircraft systems and we used it to glue bushes or 'plugs' into components. Just make sure you put big blobs of it around the bases of the clips.

• 1 month later...
On 01/06/2016 at 7:27 PM, Russ said:

Look at my post above if you still have the broken clips on the handle, araldite rapid works wonders if mixed correctly. I used to work in a well known company making parts for aircraft systems and we used it to glue bushes or 'plugs' into components. Just make sure you put big blobs of it around the bases of the clips.

Hi Russ.  Many thanks for updating and posting the above.  

This is my very first post!...and I joined because I have bought a  2008 Focus 1.6 Titanium with just this problem.  The tailgate grab handle has snapped off completely and by dangling the plate light/tailgate release switch wires.  To say the quality of the components is substandard is something of an understatement.  I might go as far as to say incompetent. 

With the handle completely detached it is difficult to see which bit of the metal clips bolted into the door is supposed to stick into which bit of the internal plastic body of the handle. I tried a botch with araldite, without unbolting the whole assembly (stupidly), but obviously have not worked out the correct attachment points, as this did not work (unsurprisingly). 

It is difficult to find any online photo/video or post which illustrates or describes how to replace the handle, how to fix a break etc.  Surprising giving the flimsy nature of the construction.   I think I will have to go to a breakers and get one of these and replace myself, as this could cost me £200 with part + labour for just this one simple job.

Did you happen to take photos whilst you were repairing this Russ?   Any help much appreciated.  I love the car, but this really is raining on my parade!

Unfortunately I didn't take any photos as I didn't strip the rubber trigger from the handle (I just left it dangling on the cable as my 'wedges' only broke off along the top) so glued the bits in place and just held them together for a few minutes till set. Just a suggestion ... Could you refit the 'wedge' shaped bits to the boot lid and offer up the handle to see if they appear to be in the right position, and if you manage to get the bits looking like they're correctly positioned mark them so you can glue them?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club