Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Has My Remap Worked?

math85

Hi all

I've recently had my Mondeo Mk4 facelift (mk4.5?) remapped having read good things about saving fuel and having more torque lower down. However, following the remap I couldn't really notice any difference at all. *Possibly* a small increase in power over 2,000rpm but certainly not 20% as they claim.

After a week or so I decided there definitely wasn't any difference and the wife agreed (she drives it too). So I got back in touch with the guy who did it and he agreed to remap it again, this time with an 'upgraded' map, he claimed. Before he did this though he asked to drive my car so he could see if the first remap had worked (how he'd know though without having driven it before I don't know, but there we go!). He ragged the absolute nuts off of it so said 'yep, it's definitely on there, it goes like stink'. Of course it does! At 2,500rpm in 2nd and 3rd the standard car is no slouch anyway! He agreed to put the upgraded map on anyway. He did this and took it for another thrashing and claimed it definitely worked this time and the new map was much better.

I drove it and there is possibly a bit more poke but only over 2,000rpm - not lower down as they claim, and I definitely don't think a 20% increase in power. Maybe 5%, if that. I told the guy this and he just basically said I'm not driving it right - he said I'm a too sensible driver, getting through the gears quickly and not revving it high enough!

I don't want to only benefit from a slight power increase at 2,500+rpm. I've never had a remap on any of my previous cars before so I don't know if this is right or not, but having read about the benefits of a remap, I don't seem to be getting any of these benefits. Fuel consumption is about the same as before too.

People talk about a noticeable difference, much more boost and lower down, improved fuel economy, smiling from ear to ear etc. I haven't got any of this. I've been driving it with a puzzled expression trying to work out if there's a difference!

Has anyone else had their mk4 (facelift - if that makes a difference) remapped? What was the difference like? Does it sound like mine has been remapped correctly and I'm just a bit of a doughnut?

Thanks in advance :)

Bluefin remap totally transformed my already seriously quick 2.2 TXS.

That doesn't sound right, I had my mk3 remapped and it was a definite improvement not done the mk4, no need to rag it through the gears to get the benifit drive ability was the main gain for me

Thanks. Daft question, but what was different exactly? Is your the mk4.5 too?

Oh, and is a Bluefin remap any different to a 'normal' remap?

Thanks pragmatix, that's exactly what I was looking for - better drivability. Who did your remap?

I believe the diesels are electronically limited in 1st and 2nd to safeguard the clutch and the DMF. So you won't see the majority of benefits until 3rd onwards and higher up the rev range.

What were the numbers ? My MK 4.5 TXS achieved 230 b.h.p. / 505nm & believe me that IS very noticeable !

Was your car put on a rolling road ?

Do you have a output graph for before / after remap ?

Superchips suggest that your engine ( 2.0 TDCi 140 ) should provide an extra 33 b.h.p. & a huge extra 103 nm with Bluefin & I suggest that would be very noticeable :)

What were the numbers ? My MK 4.5 TXS achieved 230 b.h.p. / 505nm & believe me that IS very noticeable !

Was your car put on a rolling road ?

Do you have a output graph for before / after remap ?

Wow, that's hugely impressive! Bet that's a dream to drive!

No, it was done by a guy on his driveway working for a reputable company (who will remain nameless until I've got my money back :P ) so no printout or anything. Does a bluefin remap use a rolling road?

Superchips suggest that your engine ( 2.0 TDCi 140 ) should provide an extra 33 b.h.p. & a huge extra 103 nm with Bluefin & I suggest that would be very noticeable :)

That's what I thought! And at the moment, I can barely notice any changes. I think I'll be asking for a refund...

Thanks for your help

Yes, when you get a Bluefin remap via a Superchips remapper, most, if not all have rolling road & their H.Q. certainly does

Superchips also sell the remap via a user friendly hand held device that you install yourself.

Thanks pragmatix, that's exactly what I was looking for - better drivability. Who did your remap?

It was done by superchip in Glenrothes

Yes, when you get a Bluefin remap via a Superchips remapper, most, if not all have rolling road & their H.Q. certainly does

Superchips also sell the remap via a user friendly hand held device that you install yourself.

I thought the Bluefin was the DIY version of superchip

Superchips are the Company, Bluefin is their product.

Yes, sold by Superchips.

So you don't get a rolling road power output with a bluefin but you do if you go to a superchip dealer so TXS why did you mention bluefin and getting a rolling road readout, or have I read you wrong?

That's where I will be going if I get a remap done. What are your thoughts on them? How long did it take? Did they put your car on the rollers?

Lost in translation . . ! What I was trying to explain was that if one gets Bluefin installed at a Superchips dealer,as in my case, my Mondeo was tested on the rolling road before & after the remap was installed & an output graph produced.

I was also given the handset to temporarily remove the remap prior to servicing by Fraud as my car is under warranty. ( 8 months old at time of remap )

If one purchases the Bluefin hand held device preloaded with the remap for D.I.Y. install there's obviously no rolling road involved, but a graph is available on Superchip's website for one's particular car.

My car was at the dealer for about 2 hours in total.

Strangely it was cheaper to visit the dealer than buy the handset.

Sparky, they are very helpful the job takes about an hour, they download your existing ecu settings and your remap is based on those. No rolling road, but you will feel the difference. Only need a days notice so easy to book in

• Like 1

Sparky, they are very helpful the job takes about an hour, they download your existing ecu settings and your remap is based on those. No rolling road, but you will feel the difference. Only need a days notice so easy to book in

Cheers pragmatix

Thanks for the input all.

Sounds like I've definitely had a dud remap so I'm going to be contacting the guy shortly for a full refund and I'll be going with Superchips for either a remap or a Bluefin. I see the Bluefin is slightly more expensive than a remap; is the only advantage of a Bluefin over a remap that I can remove and re-add the map if needed? Are there any cons (over than more expensive)?

Cheers

I experienced something similar a few months ago when I got my Focus 1.6 TDCI remapped. What I wanted mostly was more low down torque and a bit of extra performance but after I got my remap the car seemed no different to drive. When I absolutely drove the sh*t out of it I thought it might be slightly livelier but then again I didn't know was that because I was looking for it in the first place. Thing is when a car like a Focus TDCI or especially a Mondeo is remapped you should notice it instantly when driving. Was very disappointed as it felt like a waste of €275 and my expectations. What it turned out to be however was that my Diesel Particulate filter was quite blocked and this stopped most of the extra performance I should of got from the remap.

Clogged DPF and also clogged egr valves can take away much of the gains of a remap so it might be worth checking them mate

• Like 1

I experienced something similar a few months ago when I got my Focus 1.6 TDCI remapped. What I wanted mostly was more low down torque and a bit of extra performance but after I got my remap the car seemed no different to drive. When I absolutely drove the sh*t out of it I thought it might be slightly livelier but then again I didn't know was that because I was looking for it in the first place. Thing is when a car like a Focus TDCI or especially a Mondeo is remapped you should notice it instantly when driving. Was very disappointed as it felt like a waste of €275 and my expectations. What it turned out to be however was that my Diesel Particulate filter was quite blocked and this stopped most of the extra performance I should of got from the remap.

Clogged DPF and also clogged egr valves can take away much of the gains of a remap so it might be worth checking them mate

Thanks Dave, I hadn't thought of that. Although the egr valve was checked as I wanted it blanked and mapped out (but the remapping company couldn't map it out) and it was actually pretty clean. How easy is it to check the dpf? I've not had any warning messages/ lights. My mechanic skills are very limited. :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

As I have now had a refund, I will name and shame! :P

Quantum Tuning did my 'remap' which for some reason just plain did not work on my car. I can't fault their service, however, as they did re-remap it for me and did give me a full refund as I wasn't happy with it. Funnily enough, when they reinstalled my car's original map back on, there was absolutely no difference in performance!

Going to go for a Bluefin now. Is it best to buy direct from Superchip or can it be bought for cheaper elsewhere?