26 replies to this topic

#1 PointyB

PointyB

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec 1.25
Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:47 PM

Getting my Zetec soon. However I wanted to know about this feature since it is one the least talked about not just on these forums, but in general. It leads me to believe that it's probably a gimmick, isn't it?

Anyone who has the red ambient lighting in their cars do you think you can post up some pictures of it in the dark (since I believe it looks best at night). I have seen some on these forums already but didn't get a good view of where they are coming from and exactly how well they illuminate (or not) the car.

Also, I wanted to ask, for those who own a Zetec without power electric side mirrors, can we still manually push them in after parking? I don't really want them to be sticking out all of the time just in case some crazy !Removed! truck goes through it :(

Loads of pics of the ambient lighting please :)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 paulworthing

paulworthing

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts
  • Ford Model: Titanium S

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:59 PM

Getting my Zetec soon. However I wanted to know about this feature since it is one the least talked about not just on these forums, but in general. It leads me to believe that it's probably a gimmick, isn't it?

Anyone who has the red ambient lighting in their cars do you think you can post up some pictures of it in the dark (since I believe it looks best at night). I have seen some on these forums already but didn't get a good view of where they are coming from and exactly how well they illuminate (or not) the car.

Also, I wanted to ask, for those who own a Zetec without power electric side mirrors, can we still manually push them in after parking? I don't really want them to be sticking out all of the time just in case some crazy !Removed! truck goes through it :(

I had one on hire a few months back (which is what lead me to buy a Fiesta as it was lovely) and I just pushed the mirrors in each night without any problem

#3 char

char

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta zetec S 09 panther black

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:04 PM

Hi yeah you can push them in, they might be a bit tough at first so give them a good push. :D

#4 PointyB

PointyB

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:07 PM

Good good, that takes care of the first concern! Secondly, just need some nice pics of the ambient lighting just to see what it's all about and whether it even looks nice.

#5 PointyB

PointyB

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:14 PM

ooo I have another question (just preparing my accessories so I have everything ready for when the car arrives). Basically I need a way to connect my iPod to the car. I believe the Zetec only has an AUX port and not a USB one. I have a cable similar to the one below:

Posted Image

The only difference with my cable is that it doesn't have section C. So basically one end is Section A and the other is Section B, that's it. Will that still work or do I need a cable where both ends are like section B?

#6 irononreverse

irononreverse

Too much time on the boards

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Zetec Mk7

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:18 PM

ooo I have another question (just preparing my accessories so I have everything ready for when the car arrives). Basically I need a way to connect my iPod to the car. I believe the Zetec only has an AUX port and not a USB one. I have a cable similar to the one below:

Posted Image

The only difference with my cable is that it doesn't have section C. So basically one end is Section A and the other is Section B, that's it. Will that still work or do I need a cable where both ends are like section B?

I think the cable will work, you just won't be able to skip songs via your wheel or have song info displayed on the screen. Mine just says "AUX"

Here's a pic I took a while back. Ignore the red lights in the footwells, the standard ones are white. I don't have all the ambient lights on in this pic. When the sidelights are switched on, the controls on the wheel and air con light up as well.

Posted Image

The effect is quite subtle, so it doesn't distract you whilst you're driving, but it is a very nice addition and just makes the interior feel a lot cosier.

#7 PointyB

PointyB

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:21 PM

OK don't mind flipping through the tracks using the iPod. Also, I thought the ambient lights were red, not white. If they don't look like the red lights in your picture (in the feet areas), what do they look like? Or am I missing something :P

Also keep those pictures coming in peeps, want to get as many views of the lighting as possible :) preferably the standard ones since I know a lot of people have changed their bulbs and modified the ambient lighting system.

#8 irononreverse

irononreverse

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:29 PM

OK don't mind flipping through the tracks using the iPod. Also, I thought the ambient lights were red, not white. If they don't look like the red lights in your picture (in the feet areas), what do they look like? Or am I missing something :P

Also keep those pictures coming in peeps, want to get as many views of the lighting as possible :) preferably the standard ones since I know a lot of people have changed their bulbs and modified the ambient lighting system.

Sorry, I should have made it clearer. The footwell lights aren't part of the ambient lighting, they just come on when you open a door, like the usual overhead light in most cars.

The ambient lights are reddy/amber in colour and are located in the following places:

-The strip above the glovebox (which you can see in the picture)
-In the little cubby hole in front of the gearstick (also visible in the picture)
-In the overhead light unit, you get a very faint glow that just about illuminates the centre of the car, it's very faint. (Called submarine lighting in the brochure)
-The Steering wheel controls, air con controls light up as well.

They don't really illuminate the car, since they're on when you're driving but the submarine lighting does make it easier to see at night.

#9 tangotwo

tangotwo

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec 1.25 5 Door

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:12 PM

I have just bought one of THESE on eBay

#10 irononreverse

irononreverse

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:26 PM

What does it do?

#11 paulworthing

paulworthing

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts
  • Ford Model: Titanium S

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:33 PM

Cheaper than Ford and shoudl work just as wekk without interferring with the handbrake - just hope that thel ead is long enough for you to be able to place the iPod somewhere sensible

#12 irononreverse

irononreverse

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:49 PM

Cheaper than Ford and shoudl work just as wekk without interferring with the handbrake - just hope that thel ead is long enough for you to be able to place the iPod somewhere sensible

But you've basically just bought an ordinary AUX to AUX cable, except it has a fancy ipod connector on one end.

You need the proper Y cable with the USB part as well if you want song info on the display and to control it with your steering wheel controls.

#13 PointyB

PointyB

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:04 PM

Yup that's what I have.

Also that red footwell lighting, is it standard in the car or did you get that installed?

#14 irononreverse

irononreverse

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:35 PM

Yup that's what I have.

Also that red footwell lighting, is it standard in the car or did you get that installed?

No, the standard footwell bulbs are white. I just ordered some red LEDs off of eBay fo less than a fiver. Can't remember my exact ones but they're W5W Wedge type red LEDs. Easy to replace as you just pull the old ones out and push the new ones in!

One of my holders came loose and I was a bit panicky but it just screws back in place!

#15 johnnymac16

johnnymac16

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium X

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:48 PM

I think the cable will work, you just won't be able to skip songs via your wheel or have song info displayed on the screen. Mine just says "AUX"

Here's a pic I took a while back. Ignore the red lights in the footwells, the standard ones are white. I don't have all the ambient lights on in this pic. When the sidelights are switched on, the controls on the wheel and air con light up as well.

Posted Image

The effect is quite subtle, so it doesn't distract you whilst you're driving, but it is a very nice addition and just makes the interior feel a lot cosier.

Ive done the same as you in regards to adding the red lights bulbs under the foot wells.. but how do u keep them on while driving? that would look pretty spectacular!!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users