Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where Do You Connect Drl?

RiDER07

Hi there everyone,

I just bought one of these http://i.imgur.com/tbP0k9r.jpg and I was wondering where do I need to connect it to, to make it switch on when I switch on the engine? (eBay item http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flexible-2-PCS-12V-Car-DRL-Fog-Strip-Daytime-Running-Bright-COB-White-Lights-/281481299839?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item418997c77f )

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Live to battery, earth to a body mounted bolt/scrw and trigger wire to a sidelight live.

I really dont want to switch on my side lights for it to come on. Is there a way to connect it so that it switches on when you switch on the car?

They will switch on immediately.

The sidelight connection trips the relay so the drl's switch off.

If you connect to the dipped headlight live then the drl's will stay on with sidelights and off with dipped lights.

They will switch on immediately.

The sidelight connection trips the relay so the drl's switch off.

If you connect to the dipped headlight live then the drl's will stay on with sidelights and off with dipped lights.

Sorry I didnt understand what you said :(

• Like 1

Sorry I didnt understand what you said :(

No problem. :)

No problem. :)

can you please repeat what you said, a bit clearer pretty please.

When you connect up DRL's you need to fit a power supply kit that has a relay built into the wiring with a wire that goes to another light power supply (either sidelight or headlight live feeds, depending on when you want the DRL's to deactivate)

This detects when the lights are turned on (whether side lights or main dipped headlights, depending on which you attach the signal wire to) and switches off the DRL's - this is a legal requirement.

DRL's should not be on at the same time as sidelights or headlights although some kits do have the option for the DRL's to dim 50% on sidelight activation (and in that case there would be two switch cables for wiring to both the side and main live feeds).

post-28494-0-67770400-1431638411_thumb.j

Where the picture is marked as to DRL lights you would usually need to cut off the connectors and attach to the wires from the DRL lights themselves (unless the connectors match up).

This detects when the lights are turned on (whether side lights or main dipped headlights, depending on which you attach the signal wire to) and switches off the DRL's - this is a legal requirement.

So when I switch on my side lights or dipped healights, the DRL should switch off?

DRL's should not be on at the same time as sidelights or headlights although some kits do have the option for the DRL's to dim 50% on sidelight activation (and in that case there would be two switch cables for wiring to both the side and main live feeds).

I have seen most cars have their DRL on as well as their dipped headlights and sidelights.

The one I bought is like this, each seperate DRL has 2 cables, 1 red and 1 black. Where would I need to connect them to, to make them come on when I switch on the car?

See the picture attached, and excuse the iron and plugs, and whatnot.

post-55856-0-28342000-1431639328_thumb.j

So when I switch on my side lights or dipped healights, the DRL should switch off?

I have seen most cars have their DRL on as well as their dipped headlights and sidelights.

The one I bought is like this, each seperate DRL has 2 cables, 1 red and 1 black. Where would I need to connect them to, to make them come on when I switch on the car?

See the picture attached, and excuse the iron and plugs, and whatnot.

For factory fitted DRL's they should dim with sidelights and switch off completely with main lights.

Many after-market/DIY installations don't follow this routine but technically under the Road traffic act they should.

Attach the red and black wires off your DRL lights to the wires marked on my picture as 'To DRL Lights', cut off the existing connectors and splice the wires together by soldering/crimp connectors/chocblocks.

Chocblocks-

post-28494-0-35140200-1431640104_thumb.j

Red wire on relay kit to battery, black wire on relay to a body mounted screw or bolt to provide an earth, white wire to one live wire from either headlight (side light live wire if you require the DRl to go off with the sidelights on/Dipped headlight wire if you want the DRL to go off with the main lights but stay on with sidelights on).

This is the type of relay kit you need.-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Daytime-Running-lights-DRL-Auto-switch-relay-DIM-DIMMING-/351347998173

(on reading the description this module will turn the DRL on with ignition but will dim by 30% with sidelight or main lights on so will be on all the time the car is running)

So am I right in what you said. The kit wires direct to battery not ignition live.

So am I right in what you said. The kit wires direct to battery not ignition live.

Yes.

The relay does all the work.

A DRL could be wired directly in parallel with the side light feeds but would only be on with the sidelight's on and above and at 100% brightness.

Ok cool that would explain all the trouble I had with mine when I wired them up to ignition live the drl kept going on and of. Will re wire them at weekend.

Stoney, it wouldve been quicker to just nip round and fit them lol. Nice and clear instructions though! Im sure many people will find this thread useful.B)

• Like 1

Stoney, it wouldve been quicker to just nip round and fit them lol. Nice and clear instructions though! Im sure many people will find this thread useful.B)

I charge travel time at double rate and don't stay at anywhere less than 4 star :p

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club