Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can I Retrofit A Heated Front Screen

greim

H all have mk2 Ford Focus 1.8tdci sport is it possible to fit a heated front screen and how much?

I'm surprised yours hasn't got one, if it's from another mk2 obviously yes, you'll need to rig up the button and relay but you'll know that anyway. Is it really worth the bother though

Not standard on lx or sport models

I'd have thought the sport would get it...then again I thought every Ford had them, obviously not

• Like 1

Sport is supposed to be lower spec than zetec though I've got rear sensors 6 cd changer and aftermarket bluetooth

• Like 1

Christ all that and no heated front screen, !Removed! stupid

well i got a quote to replace my cracked heated windscreen for £326 if i do not go through insurance, if thats anything to go by for the price

• Like 1

some focus cars already have the wiring in place - remove the scuttle panel and if there are connectors either side not connected to anything then you have it - mine (style model) doesnt. Ford did have a one loom for all policy once....

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, sorry to hijack and resurrect this old post, but i was wondering if anyone has managed to do this on a car without the proper loom present.

Mine hasn't got the loom, but i went ahead to install the heated windscreen anyway. Before i chop the tails from the breakers and attempt to hard wire them, i was wondering if it's easy to change my current loom.

Are those tails part of the ECU loom, and is it hard to replace it? I.e. do i need to remove the engine or loads of pieces/paneling?

• Like 1

unless you are as adept with wiring as an electrician , then forget it would be my advice if youve not the correct wiring loom in place.

and what would you hard wire them to ?

the windscreen requires a 40A supply to each of the 2 elements , giving a total load of upto 80A , which will have to be switched through relays , and the supply taken from engine fuse box.

if none of the above is beyond your skills then by all means have a crack at it , but its many hours work though even for a pro.

my thoughts on this are:

I love my quickclear windscreen. I would not want a car without one.

However, replacing a good condition non-quickclear windscreen to achieve it sounds extravagant, but if you need to replace the windscreen anyway due to breakage then perhaps it's not such a bad idea.

If the wiring is not there, it's not that complicated to wire it up if you know what you are doing with relays and making sure you use cable which is think enough for the high current.

The only aspect of the wiring that I would not instantly know how to do is - quickclear windscreens are wired to only work when the engine is running (as they use so much current) and I would not know how to do that, although it is obviously possible

2 hours ago, isetta said:

quickclear windscreens are wired to only work when the engine is running (as they use so much current)

They also have a timer to limit the time they are powered up.

Thanks all for your responses! Just to clarify, I've already replaced the windscreen so i can get the heated elements plus the sensor mount.

Annoyingly, my car had the sensor cables on the roof, but the dash loom was missing the heated windscreen cables and the engine loom was missing the heated windscreens and washer plugs.

I'm quite good with electrics, as I've already added the wire for the auto headlights and thanks to the wiring schematics, it is quite easy to identify the correct position on the loom ends where each wire needs to be placed. I was aiming for one of the following two approaches:

1. Replace the engine loom with the correct ones - I'm unsure if that's easy to do. Has anyone removed/replaced it?
2. Source the tails for the windscreen and hard-wire them to the fuse box. - Just to clarify, when i say "hard-wire" i mean connect the end of the tails to the appropriate position on the fuse box using the right AWG cable. Then add the missing fuses and relays (if not already there)

Both scenarios above, will provide the necessary connectors for the windscreen on the engine bay. To add the windscreen switch, I'm thinking another two approaches

1. Replace the dashboard loom with the one from Ghia, ST or RS which will hopefully give me the heated windscreen, plus auto lights (properly wired) and (maybe) heated seats. Looking at some guides online, it doesn't seem very hard to do.
2. Source the tails for the switch and hard-wire it to the right position on the fuse box

My major issue is the loom for the engine, as it seems quite tricky to replace. Any suggestions on this?