Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Beloved Car Stolen 16Th May

Colin1969

I couldn't hear that Colin. I'll maybe through it over to my chromecast see if any better.

Put a set of headphones on and listen

If you have keyless entry you can either press the button on the door handle twice or the key fob twice, it isnt the keyless entry that's the issue (getting into a car never has been for a thief) it's easier to steal with the keyless start system.

From that clip you cant tell what they are talking about or what they were talking about prior to getting in the car.

All fiestas and focus stolen in this way will be just as easy as each other, they will only be "harder if you have tried to secure the port.

They obviously knew there was a camera fitted, if they were trying to clone your fob they would have turned the car off, this would have stopped the camera recording, they also don't need the car running for their OBD device to work.

Fiestas are being stolen quite regularly in essex, in less than 30 seconds they are in the car, plugged in and away, I doubt many have been through purple parking at gatwick,

The police will just think it's a coincidence as they probably haven't any intell on cars parking at gatwick then being stolen shortly afterwards, they do have Intel on fiestas going missing in Essex though.

If you do get another fiesta, get a disklok, remove the OBD fuse, move the port, secure it in a box, fit a dummy port, buy a alarm that protects the port but do something. These thefts have been well publisiced but it still amazes me that people do nothing, (except join a petion or complain on Ford's facebook page) I see loads of STs going into lakeside, they park up and walk off seemingly with no thought to security.

I have now made my garage available for next car , it was once used as storage but not anymore. I have a new roller shutter door , i have already bought a steering wheel lock and handbrake gear lever lock , lastly i will have fitted a security post inside the garage just before the garage exit. I will also remove the OBD port fuse or at least tell the dealer to remove it and give it to me. Cctv and an alarm inc garage door too , 1 floodlight to activate should anybody go to the garage door. Have i done enough ? My car will never sit on the drive again !

• Like 1

I don't understand why using obd to start the car should bypass the immobiliser isn't that the whole point of the device?

I don't understand why using obd to start the car should bypass the immobiliser isn't that the whole point of the device?

They basically program a new key (or even virtually,) meaning it bypasses the immobilisor as a normal key would

They can code a new key to the brain of the car via the OBD port , push the start button and away they go !

• Like 1

They basically program a new key (or even virtually,) meaning it bypasses the immobilisor as a normal key would

It seems far too easy, I was always lead to believe you could only do the ford immobiliser with dealer only software it's worrying considering the number of fords on the road with the same system probably all the way through the ranges.

You can't have dealer only software due to EU rules on allowing any garage to service/work on a car.

• Like 1

It seems far too easy, I was always lead to believe you could only do the ford immobiliser with dealer only software it's worrying considering the number of fords on the road with the same system probably all the way through the ranges.

Keyless start puts the car at much higher risk

Viper alarms have a separate failsafe engine immobiliser, once the alarm is going its nearly impossible to start the car and the alarm will sound if someone attempts to tamper with any part of the car without disarming it. The thieves can't pry open the bonnet without setting of the alarm. In fact they can set the alarm off just buy standing against the car for too long. These are all deterrents but hopefully one day a system like this will catch them out.

Its a shame that you can't enjoy getting a nice new car without the threat of someone nicking it.

• Like 1

I still don't get all this dummy OBD port etc, why not just remove the block until you need it and save some money, any thief who opens it up and finds it isn't there is going to go away pretty quickly anyway.

Relocating it may just annoy the dealer if you go in for warranty work, plus all this serial posting of relocating it to X point in the car just gives said thieves the heads up, they do look on car forums you know.

Just pull the fuse and remove the block and keep it in your drawer / safe somewhere, it won't go anywhere then, Disclocks....well after buying a set of rake keys for £9.99 ( after watching all of Dexter I was curious and took the internet and thought let's give it a go for fun ) I could unlock it in seconds, same for any regular key based lock, look them up easy peasy to pick any kind of lock, just out dated now.

• Like 2

A dummy port isnt going to cost much from a breakers, it will confuse them as to why it's not working, it there is no port they know it's not going to be far from its position due to the wiring loom.

"Remove the block" do you mean remove the wires from the socket? Won't that annoy a dealer or breakdown service if you forget where you put it, lose it or forget to take it, what if the pins accidently touch? Possible electrical damage?

Says that posting the location of a relocated port is a bad idea as thieves read forums (they have to find that port in that particular car) then talks about buying a set of keys to get past steering wheel locks, well done.

• Like 1

If you decide to fit a dummy port then at least connect a + &- feeds the opposite way around, and take great joy in frying their device.

• Like 1

If you decide to fit a dummy port then at least connect a + &- feeds the opposite way around, and take great joy in frying their device.

Doesn't the port give a supply to the device plugged into it and not the other way round?

Doesn't the port give a supply to the device plugged into it and not the other way round?

I thought they only transfered data relying on the car battery for power to the ecu and the reader having its own supply for displaying data?

• Like 1

I thought they only transfered data relying on the car battery for power to the ecu and the reader having its own supply for displaying data?

My OBDII bluetooth module takes power from the socket

That's only a low power application though surely it wouldn't power a handheld terminal type of device and doesn't that also require the ignition to be in accessory mode?

That's only a low power application though surely it wouldn't power a handheld terminal type of device and doesn't that also require the ignition to be in accessory mode?

Good point! Don't most garages use an OBDII to USB adapter to laptops? So couldn't a potential thief do the same with a tablet/smartphone? Just a thought!

Yeh I was thinking to start the car or run a program for example to start the car or operate ignition without a key meaning no power to the port so the reader or laptop/tablet usb would put current in through the connection to activate the ecu and then be able to run the car etc.

Yeh I was thinking to start the car or run a program for example to start the car or operate ignition without a key meaning no power to the port so the reader or laptop/tablet usb would put current in through the connection to activate the ecu and then be able to run the car etc.

I understand what you mean now! My bad! :-)

I understand what you mean now! My bad! :-)

I mean even with them set up's they very often need ignition to use the port to get data from the ecu such as error codes and live data.

I mean even with them set up's they very often need ignition to use the port to get data from the ecu such as error codes and live data.

I understand now! So I'm guessing that means the port must still send data with the ignition switched off? Just no power?

I noticed if I leave my bluetooth adapter plugged in with the ignition off there's still power there. But not enough to actually transmit a bluetooth signal! Obviously not enough power to power anything else either.. but it could indicate data being present too?

• Like 1

I'm not sure I just used Google to my aid, and it seems that OBD ports are normally powered by systems such as the 12 accessory circuit or radio both being live all the time on fords so in theory if you can send a signal to the ecu with the laptop to trick it into thinking you have a key in or have pressed the start button it would willingly do the action and from there you could carry on I guess, seems quite a flawed and basic system by 2010s standards. New format is required, someone said manufacturers aren't allowed to have proprietary software to Interact the car any more but I though most VAG group cars have to be wired to VAGCOM to allow any data change or utilise certain settings?

My OBD II scanner has no internal power supply, nor has the Bluefin handset as far as I'm aware, both are dead when plugged into the cars' OBD port with the OBD fuse removed.

• Like 1

The newer cars must have a separate fuse but in my case and anything a tad older it runs through something else's power supply but that proves that it's a constant live either way^^

It wouldn't work,

I had a full Renault diagnostic kit on my laptaop and you had to have full power to the ECU via OBD port for it to connect, it wouldn't self power it and for some reason also even with full battery power reading the ECU killed the battery on the laptop it drained it from full to less than 10% in under 30 mins lol was almost glowing.

But also the fuse will complete the circuit, removing it kills the circuit regardless of auxiliary power.