Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Timing Belt And Performance

south_bound

Just had the timing belt done, including aux belt, water pump and recharge air con - car 8 years old and 105k miles. Should I notice any difference in the way it drives compared to just before it going in for the job? I have to say I didn't notice anything on the short drive home from the garage.

One other thing, the garage ran the car at idle with the bonnet up for a good hour and a half after doing the job - is that normal and just to check that everything is ok? Can't think of any ofther reason and only saw it on the dashcam afterwards so couldn't ask them.

Changing the belts and pump is preventative maintenance to ensure your car continues to run well, so you won't feel any difference in performance.

When the garage changed the water pump, it would have lost some coolant,which would be replaced. Allowing the car to run for a good while ensures the new pump is working as it should and there are no air locks left in the system, they would want to ensure all was well with the system hot, not just warm and keep a check on coolant levels.

Thanks, all makes sense.. I didn't expect any change for the reasons you give but if something changes over the course of a long time you don't notice it, but then even a small sudden change can make you sit up and notice. I think I am very sensitive to changes such as new noises or vibrations and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. If anything, I think I would have been more likely to have noticed if something was not fitted properly so I'm releived there is no change. The longer drive to work tomorrow should make sure of that.

I have only noticed one small difference since getting the belts changed. Before, the engine would stutter a bit - barely noticeable excpet to me as the driver, but it was there nonetheless. It only really happened as I picked up from coasting in neutral into a high gear (4th or 5th) and accelerated slowly. I thought it might have been linked to clogged fuel filter or something but anyone think it could have been the old belt or tensioners flexing and on their way out? It hasn't happened since but its only been a few days so I'll wait a while longer before being sure its gone. Any thoughts?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club