Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Tdci Upgrades

samgreeny

Hi everyone. I'm new to the group, I have a 1.6 tdci focus and I'm looking at doing some upgrades to it, performance and other things. Anyone got any suggestions on any performance upgrades? Really want an st but can't afford the insurance and upkeep for it as I'm only 21. Was looking at getting this tuning box for it;

http://www.bhpplus.co.uk/Speedhawk-Diesel-Tuning-Box-Common-Rail.html?carid=303&box=true&Info=Ford%20Focus%201.6%20TDCi%20109%20BHP%20CR-1&plug=CR-1

Want to change the alloys on it, maybe looking at 17 or 18 inch?

I want to get an exhaust for it. Was looking at this one maybe;

http://www.piperexhausts.co.uk/piperstore/product_info.php?cPath=26_230_461&products_id=4321

I want one that makes a nice noise. But I wasn't sure if there's anything else I need to change on the exhaust to get it to make a nice noise? I don't want black smoke coming out though.

Going to order a k&n filter for it as well.

Maybe looking at lowering it, any recommendations on what springs? Do I also need to change the shocks or are the stock ones ok on lowered springs?

Has anyone ever put a dump valve on a diesel? Would/wouldn't recommend it?

Anything else people would recommend?

• Like 1

• Like 4

Does the piper exhaust get much noise from it?

Cheers mates. Will blank the egr valve in the next month. Reading some places if I get it remapped it will take it up to about 140-150bhp without anything else?

I have the 109bhp focus, which don't they already have the 110 injectors in?

Do the induction kit filters effect the turbo in anyway because of oiling them?

• Like 1

• Like 1

I assumed you had 90bhp model,

Dpf removal recommended aswell as remap for 150bhp

The egr valve already circulates waste gasses back through your turbo containing carbon, oil etc.

So the K&N filter oil isint a problem

What sort of bhp would getting a hybrid turbo take it up to? Do you have any links to any?

With dpf removal, will this make much effect on the emmitions?

Ok, it's only from what I've read online but wasn't sure how true it was

• Like 1

• Like 2

Heres a link to TRW shop where they sell hybrid turbo straigh swap item they may advise on performance gains:

http://store.trwperformance.com/index.php?cPath=6_90

The egr valve gives high emissions but with it blanked,

The engine takes in 20% more clean air from atmosphere which helps dilute the particles from exhaust.

So emissions are lower while exhaust pressure becomes higher this helps spool turbo quicker :)

Remap for dpf removal also reduces emissions so no black smoke.

The exhaust gives it more grumble and growl check youtube vids

Thanks mate.

Even with just the straight pipe from piper that I posted? Wasn't sure if I'd need a backbox or weather that straight pipe would do?

• Like 1

• Like 1

No prob mate,

Straight pipe would be louder but piper comes with silencer

I don't like silencers. I enjoy a loud sounding car. Think I will get that pipe in the next month then.

• Like 1

I wasn't going to get a whole exhaust just the last section of it. Unless that will be a waste of time doing it?

With getting the car remapped, i am going to get the dpf and the egr mapped as well. is it worth getting the vihicle speed limiter done as well or is this just a waste of time?

• Like 1

• Like 2

If like me,

You were to do the exhaust first; you wont really notice much difference in performance on the day.

However having the exhaust done will enhance performance from the remap etc.

The existing stock exhaust setup is 2.5" downpipe from turbo to DPF & Catalyst chamber,

Then its flanged

From flange then its a 2.5" flexi downpipe then flanged again.

From this then its a 1.75" straight pipe from the "flexi downpipe" flange to a muffler and tip.

Bottom of DPF Chamber:

Image2317.jpg

Flexi-downpipe:

KGrHqFHJDkE9BB-Er9BPWIWCKJg60_58_zps1574

KGrHqZioE6-eTmqTBO3iBbEw60_58_zps2678f52

Standard Exhaust from flange to tip:

Image2309.jpg

See the above image there,

Have that hole pipe & muffler removed and replaced with a 2.5" mandrel bent pipe either in mild steel or T304 Stainless choice is yours,

Don't fit 2" and don't fit 3"

Has to be 2.5" for optimum free flow,

The next benefit would be blanking the egr valve this has many positives see guide:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/42915-guide-fitting-egr-blanking-plate-16tdci-engine/

Stainless Steel Blanking plate for 1.4 & 1.6TDCi::

IMG_20130421_173730_zpsa179c234.jpg

Following this id fit the K&N57s induction kit available from ebay sellers.

imgsize.jpg

The same K&N57s fits RS focus and 1.6TDCi model as there same airbox base so shop around for seller as some sell RS cheaper than TDCi.

Your now at stage 1

Id then look for a place to gutt out the dpf chamber and refit it:

IMG_20130913_153036_zpsa137f4d3.jpg

Put chamber back in and remap the ECU bringing you to stage 2

Then you may consider an ST intercooler which is a direct swap and offers a taller cooling pendulum helping boost.

Now stage 2

After this id look at helping to get all the power to the road,

So new shoes and lowering it on eibach pro springs,

IMG_20130110_151301.jpg

Eibach pro springs are a straight swap but they are model specific,

Stronger set applies to the diesel focus models much same cost 160-200 and available from ford dealership aswell as ebay.

When lowering the car you will also need some adjustable rear camber bolts RRP 25.00

Eibach-Camber_zps495c13c9.jpg

IMG_20130117_123845.jpg

These allow the rear camber to be correctly aligned after lowering through the use of laser tracking equipment at your local tyre shop will prevent excessive inner wear of the rear tyres due to negative camber as saw here:

IMG_20150205_170236_zpspqqtjwwh_edit_142

IMG_20150205_170149_zps03zxhqvz.jpg

Id then upgrade brake discs and pads when the time comes that they need changing upgrade to some grooved mintex discs with green stuff pads.

A thicker rear sway bar will also help it turn in harder best fitted after lowering.

Braided brake lines would also help response if desired.

I personally haven't bothered with removing the speed limit its fast enough as is, and boost cuts off around 3,000rpm its naturally aspirated after that so in my opinion if its over 20 quid i wouldn't bother.

I may have covered more than asked there mate but its all very addictive and therapeutic process,

I'm finished mine after five years of pure fun,

Its great doing each mod and experiencing the differences

You've definately just giving me a whole plan of what I want to do now!! Thanks mate!

One question about the exhaust, my insurance doesn't allow me to add an exhaust that has power gains, would having a straight through exhaust add performance to the car? Because I've queried with them and they said that I am allowed to add a backbox etc as long as it isn't a performance gain.

• Like 1

I found a great deal on some dark Grey st rims that I found today which I went and picked up. They are 18" but they look great. When fitted to the car tomorrow I will upload a photo

• Like 1

• Like 2

• Like 2

Well,

As this is open internet I've gotta tell the truth mate,

A straight pipe will increase performance because the gasses flow faster,

This will spin your turbo quicker,

It wont give noticeable gains, anything below 10bhp you wont really notice when driving,

Now in my opinion your fitting a pipe,

Its not a performance exhaust, it doesnt say performance anywhere its just a pipe.

But truth be known, its better than a performance exhaust because its non restrictive,

And being mandrel bent there wouldn't even be any welds to restrict flow ;)

So technically its just a normal pipe, no performance printed on it anywhere and no performance back box fitted its just a pipe :)

Who'd have thought just a 2.5" pipe could give performace Doesnt say that anywhere knaw mean :)

The noticable increase would be when the dpf is internally gutted,

Now i wouldnt tell anyone that had been done, and assuming your the second or third owner of the vehicle you don't ever need to admit having it done and nobody can point the finger.

The chamber would be present and all will appear stock when done,

Emissions will be lower,

Maintenance bills wont exist,

Performance will be increased,

But it cant be proven by anything when the dpf has been cut on the factory welds it all looks completely factory,

With all said choice is yours,

I've got my dpf gutted, performance induction filter fitted, ECU remapped, egr blanked and 2.5" cat back and passed MOT

IMG_20140725_111118_zpsw7iuoc1_edit_1406

sounds great and well done there quite sought after on the market.

Since you will be rolling 18x8 now instead of 16x6.5

Your tyres are considerably wider,

This becomes a little problem when it comes to fitting the lowering springs you will need to purchase a steering rack limiter kit from ford RRP 15.00 - 20.00

IMG_20130110_151649.jpg

Consists of two polyurethane rings that fit inside the CV ball joints to prevent the tyre from rubbing the inner wheel arch,

When the steering is on full lock.

I've got the kit fitted to mine aswell, no problems parking but on small roundabouts you will need to swing wide rolling those rims,

Also experience reduced take off speed due to the rim being heavier and wider, this is known as "unsprung mass" a term given to describe the weight of all items carried outside of the sprung chassis.

Id go for lowering and camber alignment next, to get the most wear out of the tyres,

Or

Keep your 16" fitted until you need new tyres then fit the 18" get your moneys worth.

Ok so as long as all I say if I've changed the exhaust to a steel one rather than a performance one then it should be fine with the insurance. ;)

I'm the second owner of the car. I dont think it has ever been done or it was never mentioned but I doubt the garage would have known.

I do want to get my dpf gutted for sure. Just because of the maintenance of it all.

With putting the 18" rims on it won't make a difference when it isn't lowered will it? I brought them with tires on them, 2 or them have about 7mm of tread and the other 2 have around 3-4mm of tread. Will it effect the tread if I fitted them today without putting the steering rack limiter?

• Like 1

Ok so as long as all I say if I've changed the exhaust to a steel one rather than a performance one then it should be fine with the insurance. ;)

Just say:

Ive had the exhaust pipe changed to stainless steel for preventative maintenance its not a performance back box no i didn't fit a performance muffler........ ;)

Just changed what was there to stainless steel.

With putting the 18" rims on it won't make a difference when it isn't lowered will it? I brought them with tires on them, 2 or them have about 7mm of tread and the other 2 have around 3-4mm of tread. Will it effect the tread if I fitted them today without putting the steering rack limiter?

Tyres with most thread or newest tyres should go on the rear wheels to prevent risk of slipping on corners,

Fitting now shouldn't effect arches mate its only when lowered that the arch surrounds the wheel more,

Its not the thread depth that causes problems when lowered; its the rims are 8" wide track style rims, most road tyres are 7.5" max,

The limiter kit prevents full steering lock to prevent the side of the tyre rubbing the inner arch panel.

I would aim for lowering soon though,

As it will reduce centre gravity on the new rims,

Reduce arch gap and ensure you haven't any negative camber wearing your tyres,

I also recommend AVON ZV5 tyres when time comes.

• Like 2

Just say:

Ive had the exhaust pipe changed to stainless steel for preventative maintenance its not a performance back box no i didn't fit a performance muffler........ ;)

Just changed what was there to stainless steel.

Tyres with most thread or newest tyres should go on the rear wheels to prevent risk of slipping on corners,

Fitting now shouldn't effect arches mate its only when lowered that the arch surrounds the wheel more,

Its not the thread depth that causes problems when lowered; its the rims are 8" wide track style rims, most road tyres are 7.5" max,

The limiter kit prevents full steering lock to prevent the side of the tyre rubbing the inner arch panel.

I would aim for lowering soon though,

As it will reduce centre gravity on the new rims,

Reduce arch gap and ensure you haven't any negative camber wearing your tyres,

I also recommend AVON ZV5 tyres when time comes.

Good point, will be doing that in the next month then ;)

Did think that's all it would do but thought I'd check.

Cheers mate. Gonna look at lowering soon, insurance company are a pain in the !Removed! because they are very picky with performance upgrades for me. Want to get stuff done but some things they won't let me which is annoying. Will definately get all this done before the next insurance renewal so it can go on the next insurance quote.

• Like 1

• Like 2

No pressure,

Its important to take time out to enjoy the process aswell,

Don't tell insurance about EGR blanking neither as it may be an environmental issue but a very cheap modification that you will notice instantly.

Took me five years to build my focus, there's many other interior modifications that can be done using led's or audio upgrade overall take your time, do it your way and enjoy it.

Any future questions I'm happy to assist anytime I'm not trying to sell you anything or pressure you in to doing things I'm only here for information and i recommend from experience.

No I won't for sure.

Yeah I won't be doing it fast because of money but definately want to start to get it done up, only had the car about 6 months.

Cheers mate, appriciate it. I know somethings about cars with repairing them and that but not much about upgrades so I appriciate the help.

• Like 1

Put the wheels on. Transformed the car already. Can't wait to lower it now!!

Can you spray paint the back break drums and the paint will stay on? Want to get a cover for the front ones!! Look a rusty colour!

post-65815-143257944535_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Like 2

Looks excellent mate,

Get yourself a tin of hammerite smooth finish paint

In either silver or black, cheaper to buy it in B&Q cimpared to halfords,

Paint on with brush to rear drum brakes,

Ive also painted the spacer section on my front discs,

As for the calipers,

Foliatec caliper paint kit is the business,

Or quicker job is to mask up the area and spray paint them.

When lowerd the car will sit level nose lifts up and rear drops leveling the window sill

Yeah think I will go black. Will get that done in a couple of months.

Will look at the Forliatec caliper paint. Want to do a good job with it.

Want to get some black wheel nuts but don't want to spend £90 on the ones from montune. But even looking at other places they seem to be that price

• Like 1

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club