Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Filter Drainage

john j

Hello members, I have a Fusion 1.4 tdci. I fitted a new fuel filter at 55k . Haynes book recommends draining every 12.5 k. I tryed to drain it but nothing came out. So I removed drain plug and noticed that it dosent have a hole running through it even though it is designed to attach tubing to it. Also no fuel came out of filter with plug removed. I think there is no hole through to where fuel sits. I didn't want to make a hole in case bits of plastic enter fuel feed and block injectors. The filter is a pattern part and not a genuine Ford item. The filter is not due to be replaced until 93k. Is it really important to drain the water out of the fuel. ?

• 4 weeks later...

water in the fuel can be a real problem, moreso if it gets over full it will affect acceleration and will make the car more hesitant, every fuel filter should have a petcock valve so you can drain the water, but pattern parts will by their nature have less features of fully fledged units.

If you are concerned and have no way to drain it in situ, the best thing to do would be to remove the fuel filter, drain it, allow it to dry out as much as is possible and as long as it does sound like fluid is present, put it back in.its the awkward way but should still do the job.

Ok thanks Jeebowhite I agree thats the only way round it. Will make sure I get a decent filter next time.

I don't bother with draining water from diesel filters, I would much rather just change them once a year. Last time I did I emptied the contents into a clear container and to be honest there must have only been a couple of millilitre of water in it.

• Like 1

Stef is a dab hand when it comes to stripping cars, us mere mortals just have to get by with the drop tap I tend to just leave it to the dealers but might start trying to drain it more often

Everyone starts somewhere James lol.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club