Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Fiesta on scrappage deal

gaz6076

It was a no cost option a few months back but I think it now sets you back £30 if you order with the car. Any time afterwards and it's £150!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• paulworthing

• gaz6076

• Sarc

• PointyB

It was a no cost option a few months back but I think it now sets you back £30 if you order with the car. Any time afterwards and it's £150!

I suppose it depends on the individual dealer ... I just asked mine about a week and a half ago and he said there would be no problem supplying a 'real' spare wheel at no extra cost, (though the tyre repair kit would not be supplied as well, of course - it's either one or the other).

Sarc (Paul)

The mk4 is starting to get abit rattly and I dont think it will last to much longer :(

So stopped of at the local ford dealers to see about this scrappage scheme. They have a base model fiesta (studio/style?) in blazing blue that they would let me have for a little under £8k. Going to throw in pureguard and £20 of petrol to boot...

Good deal?

So what have you decided to do then after all of us offering our own personal advice on what you should do?

Be going down to the dealers around lunch time, Ive got a few questions for them now thanks to all the replies.

I'm just not sure about the commitment of a 3-4 year finance deal. If its the style and I can get the 1.4 engine I think I will just go for it.

Be going down to the dealers around lunch time, Ive got a few questions for them now thanks to all the replies.

I'm just not sure about the commitment of a 3-4 year finance deal. If its the style and I can get the 1.4 engine I think I will just go for it.

I've committed myself to 5 years of finance to pay this one off - but I am sure I will be happy with it for that long.

One thing to consider with the finance too is the balloon payment option.

Currently Ford are doing a good deal on 2 years finance and then you can buy out the remainder with an ordinary loan from whoever can give you the best deal.

I am doing that and it is going to save me over £1.5K over doing the 3 year deal and buying out the smaller amount with a loan.

You never know, if you have a per month figure in your mind, it might make the difference between the 1.25 and 1.4 litre engine or the Style and Style+ (or maybe even a Zetec?)

Let us all know how you get on

Went back to the dealers yesterday and it turns out it was the style with the 1.25 engine they were offering me for 8k.

I asked about the 1.4 engine and was told it was only available in the style+ so that would be an extra £800 for the bigger engine with the air-con and quick clear windscreen. Seems like a good deal to me?

He also priced up a zetec with the 1.4 for £9,395

All prices are for the 3 door without any optional extras, includes 1 years road tax, GAP insurance, £20 of petrol and a free pureguard

The spare wheel option is an extra £30 (thanks paul!)

Went back to the dealers yesterday and it turns out it was the

style with the 1.25 engine for 8k.

style+ so that would be an extra £800

All prices are for the 3 door without any optional extras, includes 1 years road tax, GAP insurance, £20 of petrol and a free pureguard

So what you going to do then? I would go for the Zetec but, as always, there are budgets involved . . .

Went back to the dealers yesterday and it turns out it was the style with the 1.25 engine they were offering me for 8k.

I asked about the 1.4 engine and was told it was only available in the style+ so that would be an extra £800 for the bigger engine with the air-con and quick clear windscreen. Seems like a good deal to me?

The spare wheel option is an extra £30 (thanks paul!)

If your on a budget, and thats the best they are offering you, it's worth thinking about getting a second hand one. They're not too hard to come across

Worth thinking about. You can also then sell your car or p/x it, whatever is worth more

I'm not sure what am going to do yet. I would love the zetec as you get a fair bit more than with the style+ for not that much more money, but more than I was first willing to pay.

I think I'm going to rule out the 1.25 and stick with the 1.4 so its a choice between the style+ or the zetec for an extra £600

I would rather get a second hand mk6 something like the diesel zetec-s but I wont get anything for the mk 4 as part ex. I would be lucky to see £300 for it selling it privately :lol:

This scrappage scheme seems like to good a deal to pass up and if it wasn't for scrappage I wouldn't be thinking of a new car as it would be way out of budget

Im not in any rush, but I don't think this mk4 will last much longer and the tax runs out @ the end of october :(

I'm not sure what am going to do yet. I would love the zetec as you get a fair bit more than with the style+ for not that much more money, but more than I was first willing to pay.

I think I'm going to rule out the 1.25 and stick with the 1.4 so its a choice between the style+ or the zetec for an extra £600

I would rather get a second hand mk6 something like the diesel zetec-s but I wont get anything for the mk 4 as part ex. I would be lucky to see £300 for it selling it privately :lol:

This scrappage scheme seems like to good a deal to pass up and if it wasn't for scrappage I wouldn't be thinking of a new car as it would be way out of budget

That all depends on the dealer. Most will offer you £2000 off the list price, which seems to be the case with your dealer. You can often knock a dealer down to much lower than £2000 off the list price without having to throw your own car in as well. Shop around before you settle. I ordered my car mid July, and got nearly £3000 off the list price, without any p/x or scrappage scheme.

It is always worth looking around first. Remember the people trying to sell you your car, are salesmen. They don't want to give you the best deal, they just want to make sure you buy the car with *them*. If having to give you a better deal is the only way to ensure that, then they may will come down even more. I should know, I am one :P

The UK scrappage scheme ends March 2010 - so no rush to make a decision.

I think you will find that the scrappage scheme ends at the end of March 2010 or until the allocated funds run out . . . . .I would do it sooner rather than later to make sure you do actually get it

As Paul has said, the scrappage scheme may well run out before next year if the allocated 300,000 cars (I think) have been sold. When I was looking for my car a couple of months ago, one or two dealers said the scheme could run out as early as October this year, as the scrappage uptake was quite large ... not sure if they were telling porkies or not, but I thought it would be a slight gamble to wait for too long before making a decision.

And, as I mentioned earlier, I too first started looking for a Studio, then I looked at a Style ... and then a Style+ ... and finally I chose a Zetec, (at £9600.00 after the scrappage scheme and the dealers own special promotion).

I know that 'only a few hundred pounds extra' doesn't seem too bad when you look at the bigger picture, but as others have mentioned, we all have our budgets, and it's best not to stretch our finances to breaking point.

There were three main points which allowed me to afford the Zetec. One was the scrappage scheme, the second was the dealer's own promotion, and the third (on a more personal matter) was a generous gift from my parents - though this was on the understanding that my missus and me will give them a few day trips out every now and then, (a small price to pay I think, for their contribution).

I can't believe your dealer is still wanting an extra thirty quid for the spare wheel though ... as if giving him eight or nine thousand quid isn't enough! :blink:

I know it's a tough decision when it comes to choosing the car ... it took us so long to make up our minds we annoyingly missed the July price increase deadline, so that immediately added a few hundred quid onto the cost - though luckily the dealer's promotion took this (and more) back off the total price when we eventually placed the order).

Good luck with your decision. I'm sure ANY Mk7 model will sit proudly outside your house.

Sarc ... (aka another Paul)

Im not in any rush, but I don't think this mk4 will last much longer and the tax runs out @ the end of october :(

Just one extra thing about the road tax. If you did happen to overrun the expiry date, you could always just pay for another six months ... then when it comes to buying a new car you can claim back any unused 'full' months, (using a 'V14' form, available at the post office). You just need to fill out the form and return the tax disc to Swansea (DVLA) for a refund. (If you don't have the disc, for some reason, I think there is another form you can fill in - I'm sure the post office can advise).

When you take your old car to the dealer, as part of the scrappage scheme, just ask them to allow you to keep the tax disc for this purpose - it's no use to them any more. Any scrap cars, from what I can gather, are simply put onto the back of a transporter so tax discs are no longer needed on them. As long as they are satisfied that the old car was taxed and MOTd at the 'time of signing the order/purchase contract'. (I'm sure these facts are correct, btw ... but as always, it's probably best to discuss any queries with the dealer - just to make sure).

Sarc.

Sarc is right about the car tax (I work part time on a Post Office counter) you can claim back FULL months.

If you do decide to go down this route make sure that the garage do in fact give you the disc back or you will need to fill in an additional form when claiming the amoutn back and they will deduct £7 from any money that you are due.

The garage should not retain the disc as a few months back the rules were changed and dealers are NOT allowed to cash disc's in only the registered keep to get round them making people leave the discs on the cars and then cashing them in - which when some of the discs work out to over £400 for 12 months, can be a considerable sum of money!

Sarc is right about the car tax (I work part time on a Post Office counter) you can claim back FULL months.

If you do decide to go down this route make sure that the garage do in fact give you the disc back or you will need to fill in an additional form when claiming the amoutn back and they will deduct £7 from any money that you are due.

The garage should not retain the disc as a few months back the rules were changed and dealers are NOT allowed to cash disc's in only the registered keep to get round them making people leave the discs on the cars and then cashing them in - which when some of the discs work out to over £400 for 12 months, can be a considerable sum of money!

Thanks for confirming things Paul, (so that's why you've made so many 'posts', btw :D ). Can't believe that some dealers used to cash-in all the old road tax discs. They must have been onto a nice little earner until it was outlawed.

Sarc.

Thanks for confirming things Paul, (so that's why you've made so many 'posts', btw :D ). Can't believe that some dealers used to cash-in all the old road tax discs. They must have been onto a nice little earner until it was outlawed.

Sarc.

Well I know I put some pretty pointless posts up but I do like to help whenever I can

for example - did you know that the tax on the 1.6 Ti VCT and the 1.4 (and if memory serves me correctly the 1.25 too) is the same at £120pa and if they bring in the new tax rates in April that should go DOWN to £110pm!

The UK scrappage scheme ends March 2010 - so no rush to make a decision.

Actually it will run out in November, when I looked into it, it was all over the news that HALF the money had already gone and it isn't expected to last beyond November, and unlike America, the UK Government has also confirmed it will NOT be putting anymore money up for the scheme. But then again America's allocation of money was used in a week!!!

Well I know I put some pretty pointless posts up but I do like to help whenever I can

for example - did you know that the tax on the 1.6 Ti VCT and the 1.4 (and if memory serves me correctly the 1.25 too) is the same at £120pa and if they bring in the new tax rates in April that should go DOWN to £110pm!

No, didn't know that either - you are a font of all knowledge, Paul. :D

Actually it will run out in November, when I looked into it, it was all over the news that HALF the money had already gone and it isn't expected to last beyond November, and unlike America, the UK Government has also confirmed it will NOT be putting anymore money up for the scheme. But then again America's allocation of money was used in a week!!!

So the dealers I spoke to weren't telling porky-pies afterall, (they were just out by a few weeks). Thanks for finding out the info - I'm sure it will spur a lot of potential buyers into making a quicker decision, rather than missing out.

Sarc.

JUst let us know what you decide to do

re the tax discs - now I know why the dealer handed mine back, gets a bit more complicated when there is a private plate on the car.

I used to work for a motor finance company and they cashed in the tax discs on the cars they repossessed.

If having to give you a better deal is the only way to ensure that, then they may will come down even more. I should know, I am one :P

So which dealer do you work for then?

Or are you in a different field altogether............ :unsure:

Think I'm going to go for the 1.4 style+. Trying to see about a better finance deal first, if that goes to plan and I can get the dealer to knock abit off the zetec I might go for that.

They are saying that I'm getting £4000 of the list with both the style+ for £8,795 and the zetec for £9395 and that they were built before the july price increase. I will try wiggle out a spare wheel from them aswell

Never thought about claiming the tax back (runs out at the end of september). Done this before when my bike was stolen :( so a didn't have the disk for obvious reasons :angry:

The dealer did say he reckoned the scrappage deal would run out in october some time but I just thought he was being a salesman :lol: