Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can I Fit A Full Size Spare In My 60 Plate Fiesta Edge?

keljnr

I bought the car last year and didn't come with spare tyre, just foam and few other bits.

Not sure if a full sized tyre can fit into the space provided in the boot, or whether its intended just for a space saver.

Has anyone managed to get a full sized in? Rather a full sized tyre than a space saver... if I have the choice.

Many thanks. :)

I don't know the 60 plate lingo that you guys are talking about, but I have a 2011 model and it came with a full size spare wheel, it definitely fits

Has anyone managed to get a full sized in? Rather a full sized tyre than a space saver... if I have the choice.

Yes. Except I got a 175/14 from a scrap yard so it is still technically a temporary tyre. There is still a bit of depth for something a bit wider. The main fiddle is to accommodate the jack, brace and towing eye and so it is all reasonably secure and doesn't rattle.

I decided to bin the foam because the only failures I have ever had on a journey were in the sidewall. Nails don't need a temporary repair.

took some pics of my spare, its a 175/65/14

The jack etc. all fit perfectly underneath the tyre

Spare

Spare 2

Be quite interesting for me also!

I don't know the 60 plate lingo that you guys are talking about, but I have a 2011 model and it came with a full size spare wheel, it definitely fits

in the uk we have two registrations per year!

So in 2011 we have the 11 plates February to End of august

then in September to January we would have 61 plate!

It's a bit confusing! haha

Thanks for answers and pics guys! Couple of more questions :-)

1. Can a 175/65/14 be used on a motorway?
  2. David, you mention that I could possibly fit something a little wider due to the depth of the space. You think 195 would be pushing it?

THanks again :)

Be quite interesting for me also!

in the uk we have two registrations per year!

So in 2011 we have the 11 plates February to End of august

then in September to January we would have 61 plate!

It's a bit confusing! haha

1st of September to 28/29th of February and 1st March to 31st august

Aaah thx for clearing that up guys, ours is simple in SA, if the car was build in 2011, it's a 2011 model, some guys do tend to add that it was registered in 2012, it's possible to do this if you bought the car say in December and keep the paper number plates on, before you register, but I think the maximum time your allowed to have paper plates on is a month.

in connection with the tyre size, I'm sure it's possible to fit a 17" alloy (ST size) if you wanted to, remember the profile of the tyres goes down as the rim size goes up, the width of the tyre (195 in your case) should still be fine, think there is about an inch and half still left in the space.

Thanks for answers and pics guys! Couple of more questions :-)

1. Can a 175/65/14 be used on a motorway?
  2. David, you mention that I could possibly fit something a little wider due to the depth of the space. You think 195 would be pushing it?

THanks again :)

There is no minimum speed limit on the motorway so even a 50mph space saver can be used. Unlike a space saver, a 175 will do whatever the speed/load rating says on the sidewall so won't go pop if driven normally. Also the steering offset remains correct. The problem is that 175 doesn't match the other tyres for size and it worries the jobsworths that the car will swap ends. So you are still expected to drive like a nun.

With item 2, 195 is less than an inch more than 175. Yes, I think it would fit. If in doubt, take a wheel off your car and try it.

• Like 1

The answer is yes. I have a 17inch spare in the well. The jack, wheel brace, towing strop and compressor all fit.

I got a plastic washing up bowl, cut a square out of the bottom to fit over the wheel clamp (which I dont use) which keeps everything tidy and in place when you need to lift out the wheel. Unless ou are going yumping the wheel is not going anywhere.

Thw wheel does stand proud of the floor pan by bout 25mm, but no problem.

Excellent, thanks very much for your answers!!! :) :) :) :)