Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 Tdci Flat Spot & White Smoke

rg1642

Hi folks, I may already have guessed the answer to this but I don't want to jump to conclusions so here I go..........

I had the high pressure fuel pump replaced by Ford a few months ago and when I got it back all was fine. Car ran better even though fuel consumption had risen a bit from 58mpg (indicated) to 55mpg. Then a week or so ago I noticed fuel consumption rising again to around 52mpg and at the same time there was an annoying flat spot developing intermitantly around 1800 rpm. This was mostly whilst warming up but occasionally when fully warm. Now I have fuel consumption up to 50mpg and when I have been mooching around the sticks for a bit the slightest acceleration produces a cloud of white smoke. Also on hard acceleration there is white smoke evident looking in the mirror. Previously I have had no smoke at all noticeable in the mirror.

I'm off to Cornwall soon and don't want to end up on the hard shoulder. I'm wondering if the old pump going hasn't damaged the injectors? After the £1865 bill for replacing the pump (and a few other bits) I am not relishing another £1k to get all the injectors done. I could have bought another car at that rate. Any thoughts????

:)

White smoke indicates unburnt diesel, possibly due to insufficient combustion temperature , or possibly water contamination, how are the coolant levels ?

Coolant level is spot on, no loss there. I does take an awful long time to warm up. It's a 2006 model but my wife and son both have Mk1's and they warm up much quicker.

Oh and forgot to say I ran my scanner over it and there were no stored fault codes. It's a full scan as well not just the OBD2 one.

Likely that it's unburnt diesel in that case.

Found a split in one of the intercooler hoses. :) Hoping I can sort it now.

All sorted with new intercooler hose. Fixed. :)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club