Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Caught Speeding! Advice Please...

thatfiestaguy

So I got caught out by a cop on the roadside with a good old fashioned speed gun doing 42mph in a 30, he said I was undertaking in the left lane. I advised him I was only in the left lane because I was turning left at the approaching roundabout, I was aware the speed limit was 30 but didn't realize I was trundling along at 42....

Cop seemed nice enough, advised me that he doesn't issue tickets, some office based staff will decide whether to proceed with a NIP although I was being reported for excessive speed.

Had my licence since Jan 2013 and not once been stopped/flashed by a camera before, in other words, clean license. 20 years old and I suspect I may be getting 3 points and a £100 fine, hoping I get offered a speed awareness course, certainly don't want a court summons!

Apparently within the next few weeks I'll receive a letter stating the intended course of action... would rather the cop had been able to just decide whether to take action or not at the roadside instead of leaving me with an anxious wait.

Also something that slightly irks me is my mate is always doing double the speed limit (He's done 60 down a narrow residential road with speed limit of 30 many times), over 110mph on the motorway (70 limit) and has yet to get caught out, guess It's not my lucky day.

Anyone had this happen to them recently, any idea what you think will be the most likely outcome?

I now feel physically sick..... now to tell the parents when I get home.

Guess that'll teach me to watch my speed!

I got caught first time doing 57 on a empty 50mph dual carrigeway. I got the option of the fine and points or speed awarness, which i'm sure youll get the option to do.

Wouldnt worry about it too much.

I got caught first time doing 57 on a empty 50mph dual carrigeway. I got the option of the fine and points or speed awarness, which i'm sure youll get the option to do.

Wouldnt worry about it too much.

Thanks.

I'm assuming If I get SAC instead of points and fine then I have to advise insurers?

Also, I'm now assuming i'll need to say "Yes" to the dropdowns that say "Have you been convicted of any motoring offences in the last x years" ?

Or does taking the SAC mean you avoid conviction completely, as I understood it you are technically still prosecuted but by different means.... in this case taking a speed awareness course?

You'll get points, over 10MPH over the limit. live and learn we have all been there, I got 6 at once and a £400 fine. could always be worse.

You'll get points, over 10MPH over the limit. live and learn we have all been there, I got 6 at once and a £400 fine. could always be worse.

I did not know that.

Not entirely sure that is true, the guidelines state 10% + 2-9 MPH, assuming my local force use 9mph the SAC is offered on speeds up to 42MPH (Which just so happens to be the speed I was caught at).

If it's any less than 10% + 9 MPH or the SAC isn't running in the force's area then it will just be straight points more than likely.

I appreciate all your replies, and as I'm sure we've all done at some point, wish I could turn back the clock a few hours!

Camera vans are generally points though, Gatsos are handled by admins who give out whatever they can.

Don't worry too much though, tbh 3 points is pretty normal and barely notable on insurance anyway, as usual shop around and you'll probably find a quote cheaper than you're paying anyway.

Camera vans are generally points though, Gatsos are handled by admins who give out whatever they can.

Don't worry too much though, tbh 3 points is pretty normal and barely notable on insurance anyway, as usual shop around and you'll probably find a quote cheaper than you're paying anyway.

Not sure if you are getting confused, this was two police officers stood at the side of a three lane road on the approach to a roundabout, sat down a side turning peering around the corner with their Laser guns... police motorbikes parked up further down the road. Was an actual PC and not a Special, (Not that it makes any difference, I asked the officer as I couldn't see the lettering on his shoulder/collar tags ("Collar Number"). I was curious and we had a good chat about the best way of getting into the force [For those of you that know me this is my ambition to achieve within the next few years]).

Some other van also got pulled up whilst I was talking to said officer, he must've been bombing it down the road at at least 50 I'd say, the expression on his face was priceless when the second officer stepped into the road and indicated for him to turn into the side street.... :P

I am just glad it's not like I was doing 50-60... could get well within reach of a ban at that speed.

Just opted for 3 points, didnt make any difference to my insurance, was given option of course instead, but was only £15 cheaper, and had to have time off work to do it. No thanks.

34 in 30, van was only 20 metres from a 50 limit I was driving into.

I was doing 51 in a 30 and got 6 points, 4 trips to court and 3 wanted card via the post too lol

That's what I mean, I had the same scenario crappy little speed trap. Think the Gatso fixed cameras are the only way to get the course now.

I had an instant ban for doing over 100mph on a dual carriageway. Insurance never went up when i got my licence back after 56 days as it was a single speeding offence on an otherwise clean licence. That was 16 yrs ago though, dont know if it would work like that now!

I was doing 51 in a 30 and got 6 points, 4 trips to court and 3 wanted card via the post too lol

That's what I mean, I had the same scenario crappy little speed trap. Think the Gatso fixed cameras are the only way to get the course now.

Ouch.. I was caught doing the same. Was half asleep, didn't even see the florescent van! 3 points and £100 fine

The Police will report you to the CPS who will make the decision on whether to take you to court or offer a fixed penalty notice. Chances are that you will just receive a NIP (Notice of intended prosecution) summonsing you to go to court or accept a fixed penalty notice, you can either accept the points and not go to court and pay the fine or if you wish to challenge it you could go to court (but you would need good grounds to challenge it as if you lose the court can give you a larger fine and more points.). The CPS have to decide if there is enough evidence and chance of conviction and whether it is in the public interest to take you to court.

Not all forces in all areas run the speed awareness courses, so it would depend on whether the force in your area is running a speed awareness course at the time.

If you do get the option of the SAC, then it cost you money to go and you don't get any points, but you should still inform your insurance of the SAC as it is still effectively a punishment.

For doing 42mph in a 30 mph limit I very much doubt they will take you to court. You were 9mph over the +10% not like 15 or 20mph or more.

I got pulled for 96 mph on a motorway and just got a fixed penalty but that was on the spot by the officer who said he could have taken me to court instead, anything over double or 30mph over the speed limit is usually an instant court situation and usually will result in a ban.

I have never been offered a SAC when I have been caught speeding. I have also never been let of with a caution like you see them do on these police programs like police interceptors.

I remember I hadn't long finished tuning a V6 mk2 and was giving it a run on the motorway and passed a bunch of motors all clumped together, as I flew past,them at 105mph one of them pulled out and I thought ahhh he's following my lead and he kept with me till a junction approach, then the lighting lit this car up that was behind me,well me heart sank saw the words" police "across the bonnet as I glanced the rearview mirror.

He put his blues on and I pulled up,I got out and walked up to his traffic car and he let me in the front seat,well am thinking crap crap 6 month ban coming,he said I passed him at 96mph(I had put bigger alloys on the car throwing the speedo out) he asked why I was going at that speed to wich I replied 'I won't lie I was just letting of some steam helps get rid of the stress'

He then replied that as I wasn't driving dangerously and used my indicators before every lane change and the fact i admitted fault straight away and didnt try to take the !Removed! with him, he was going to give me a lecture instead of a speeding ticket!!!

Ps if you take a speed awareness course then you haven't been convicted of an offence,you have been educated about speeding, two different things, anyway people will only know about the course if you tell them, no one else is going to tell them!!!

Fiestaguy , Hello. Found myself in the same position . I drive for a voluntary org , and thought I had been caught by a sneakily placed camera van !!. Company have to be contacted , to confirm who was driving. Advised that you must be given a summons within 14 days by law . Happened on 5 May , so far no notification. Sigh of relief .

They have 6 months from the date of offence to issues a NIP and 14 days is the minimum notice required for you to APPEAR in court, IE they can't ask you to appear in court tomorrow.

Unless it has changed, I thought the NIP must be issued within 14 days Matthew!

You would have been issued what is termed an OSCO (Officer Seen Conditional Offer) which will be sent to your local Forces Traffic Department.

They will consider the report and decide on the relevant course of action.

You will receive a NIP through the post whereby they may offer a SAC if criteria is met.

As a SAC is not a prosecution (merely a course) there is no official requirement to inform an insurance company unless they expressly request it (insurance documentation usually states 'convictions or prosecutions' which a SAC is not).

The prosecution trigger is 30% above a posted speed limit plus 10% to take into consideration the fact that speedos are calibrated to over-read by 10% at factory in order to stop car manufacturers being sued for speedos under-reading.

Contrary to popular belief there is no longer dispensation for percentage plus X mph.

Basically, if you are caught speeding and your speedo says 44mph you will be done for 40mph and most likely will be offered a SAC.

Over 44mph and you may be lucky and get offered a SAC but don't be surprised if you don't.

For additional information- Fixed cameras do not give you the 30% leeway.

If you go past one at more than 10% of a posted limit (over 33 in a 30 etc) you will get clipped.

Nope it's 6 months Graham, been there and done that, took from November to May to get the letter, thought I well and truly got let off for months and months. you can a minimum 14 days notice to appear in court or receive punishment.

• Like 1

Definitely up to 6 months.

It's a legal requirement of a NIP.

Did a bit of research and everything I Googled states 14 DAYS for a Notice of Intended prosecution! I think the information

(the precursor to a summons) must be laid within six months.

https://www.gov.uk/speeding-penalties

Think it's being misread.

The Po po have 6 months to notify the courts that they are courting you etc and get the paperwork to you.

The courts have to send you a letter saying your being summoned, enter your plea etc, and then you'll get a date, say if the letter says 01/05/15 the date of your appearance has to be no earlier than the 15/05, 14 days notice of prosecution is your appearance date not the paperwork serving date from time of offence.

But the police / courts do not have to send you anything up to 6 months from the date of offence.

I concur with Matt on this.

An OSCO has a 6 months deadline, a NIP gives you 14 days warning of prosecution.

Tis' my job to know these things after all.

^ Got family in the business, plus experience of going to court 4 times for a singular offence and dodging the wanted cards ( not my fault I turned up and they had no record of me 3 TIMES!!!! and still sent me wanted cards with a photo of an unhappy holiday maker )