Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Caught Speeding! Advice Please...

thatfiestaguy

I was only querying Matthew's statement that 'They have 6 months from the date of offence to issues a NIP' - are you saying I

was wrong to do this?

no one is saying that, it's quite a confusing subject as is most British Law, deliberately awkward to rinse the general public into submission. Always best to query anything if unsure, the internet Fweeends is here to help.

I got this off the Thames Valley Police website Matthew and yes - law can be confusing at times!

'The purpose of the notice of intended prosecution (NIP) is to inform a potential defendant that they may be prosecuted for

an offence they have committed, whilst the incident is still fresh in their memory. When you receive an NIP it does not

automatically mean that you are going to face prosecution, it is a warning that you may face prosecution.

The NIP must be served on the driver or registered keeper within 14 days of the offence otherwise the offence cannot

proceed at court. If the details of the driver are not known, then it is sent to the registered keeper. In either case, so

long as it arrives at the relevant address within the time limit the notice is valid'

Thanks for confirming. I know more about civil law than criminal law but I have just helped a friend write a letter in

mitigation concerning a speeding offence and had to look all this up for him as he knew he had been caught and wanted to know

about NIPs.

wait wait wait, When I got done, I was stopped by the side of the road and was told I would get something in the post, this was November 2010, I didn't get anything until the end of April to attend court in May, I didn't get seen in court due to them constantly ******** about until 17/07/11, 4 court visits, 3 wanted cards in the post too.

So is that really not right? If so I am going to Clean Thames Valley Police and HM Court service right out, I'm not making that up that's genuinely how it went, I didn't get anything in the post for like 5 months and 2 weeks, I got absolutely nothing before that.

I want my 4 days unpaid leave back and my £400 fine and increased insurance costs and compo for all the immense stress I went through thinking I was on the run from the law. Joke.

wait wait wait, When I got done, I was stopped by the side of the road and was told I would get something in the post, this was November 2010, I didn't get anything until the end of April to attend court in May, I didn't get seen in court due to them constantly ******** about until 17/07/11, 4 court visits, 3 wanted cards in the post too.

So is that really not right? If so I am going to Clean Thames Valley Police and HM Court Service right out, I'm not making that up that's genuinely how it went, I didn't get anything in the post for like 5 months and 2 weeks, I got absolutely nothing before that.

I want my 4 days unpaid leave back and my £400 fine and increased insurance costs and compo for all the immense stress I went through thinking I was on the run from the law. Joke.

I always thought the NIP *HAD* to be served within 2 weeks of the date of the alleged offence occurring.... if the NIP is served after two weeks from the date of alleged offence then it is no longer permissible (Unless lost in the post or due to a postal delay or something). That's just what i've read and heard from various people....

Off to email to a speeding lawyer now anyway, see what they say.

As far as I am aware, a NIP is not necessary and not sent IF you were stopped at the time of the offence and verbally told

you would be reported for the offence. Basically you received a verbal NIP!

As far as I am aware, a NIP is not necessary and not sent IF you were stopped at the time of the offence and verbally told

you would be reported for the offence. Basically you received a verbal NIP!

I don't think that's quite correct...

I was stopped and verbally told i'd be reported for driving with excessive speed and also informed that I would receive a NIP through the post in "the next few weeks" to quote.

If you got caught by a camera, that has to be within to weeks, it tells you that you were caught speeding and asks for your details, then you will recieve the NIP possible with option for speed awareness court, if you were stopped by an officer that is the same as the first letter, ie proving who was driving and who should get the NIP.

A verbal NIP is valid.

Postal ones are for fixed or mobile cameras (average speed ones included).

BTW - A verbal NIP is the same now as an OSCO or as was termed as HORT.

BTW - A verbal NIP is the same now as an OSCO or as was termed as HORT.

This confuses me somewhat.....

Why do I get both NIP's if you are only supposed to get one? :wacko:

I received the Verbal warning "I am reporting you for so and so" from the officer on the day, he also said I'd receive a NIP through the post... ?

Or is that not the same....

OSCO's were only recently introduced so some crossover of policy is occurring.

It's the same as being cautioned when arrested.

The Custody Sergeant will always caution you as well as the street caution is more generic whereas the Sergeant will be more specific.

(i.e street caution may state 'under arrest for posession of controlled substance' - Sergeants caution will state which specific section of law you are arrested for i.e. section 23.)

Basically a OSCO will be filed and if the 0ffence is clear cut then no further NIP is required.

If after considering the statement the Traffic Office feels further offences need adding or they consider a higher/more serious offence has been committed then a NIP will be issued detailing this.

Question: Chap sat in his BMW on a motorway bridge, I would have thought he'd be using a gun? Does this mean if potentially I went past him at 85 I'll have a ticket in the post? It was just before a services which seemed odd.

Just wondered, I spotted the chap (not speeding, I was coming off for the services) and thought it was an odd place to speed trap seeing it's right on a bend and I'd have thought they'd need a decent clear line of sight to use them.

Probably doing an ANPR check.

That system can pick out all VRN going by very quickly and at short range.

For motorway speed traps the unit would either be van mounted or deployed on a tripod beside a car for accuracy.

(Pips ANPR cameras can also be deployed on tripods if multiple lanes are to be scanned but this is usually only done on the approach to a dedicated Multi-Agency operation where VOSA, DVLA, HMRC, UKBA, UKBF & Police all work together).

To clarify if you go through a camera and get clicked it's 14 days, but if you get clicked by a man with a gun, its 6 months? I'm tired and can't think lol

To clarify if you go through a camera and get clicked it's 14 days, but if you get clicked by a man with a gun, its 6 months? I'm tired and can't think lol

Basically yes.

That's certainly useful. Not that I plan to test it, but I always wondered where the 6 months came into it lol

don't speed problem solved :P

• Like 5

don't speed problem solved :P

There is always that option of course.

• Like 1

The summons must be issued and served within six months of the date of the offence James.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So to update you all, finally, over two months from the date of the incident, on my last day of two weeks off of work over the summer holiday, I received the below letter:

HoC4PbF.jpg?1

Needless to say, I am pleased with the outcome.

FYI, this is also the very first piece of postal correspondence i've received relating to this speeding offence.

• Like 1

I never understand the point of the awareness course...you were aware of the speed limit and, I would assume, aware of the potential consequences of excess speed... So why does someone telling you that make any difference lol? Though avoiding points is obviously good!

I'm still yet to be caught speeding after 6 years driving, it's gonna happen one day though, I think we all stray over the limits occasionally!