Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Warning About Boot Springs

b1g_dav3

I've seen people putting on springs to pop the boot automatically with the key fob though it seems they're damaging struts quite a lot of the time.

Might be worth considering removing them if at all worried as the latch for the locking mechanism might not be up to the task either over time, seeing they're chewwing the struts up.

Just thought I'd give folks a heads up seeing I know a few people have done this mod.

(These aren't photo's of my car, just off a group I'm part of)

1557522_10153366855624168_46027856832007

11141353_10153235737002559_8912541196206

11011959_10153235710187559_7680647716467

Makes sense really :/

Hopefully its not damaged too many

Yeah am not surprised to see this. I had a bit of a dodgy feeling when reading people's posts about doing this mod. Hope not too much damage about because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

I posted something similar on the post when it first came out about Warning people.

A couple of years back a lot of people started to do it on their Polo and it bent the struts and boot itself.

I've got some springs for sale if anyone wants them :p

• Like 6

forgot to say the original image wasnt because of the springs from the italian guy it was because he made his own
I was talking to him and he sent this and said his did this within 2 days
post-50202-0-92906300-1433406512_thumb.j

I still belive that the cause of problem is unsuffient free space between the gas chamber end and the upper mounting part of gas spring. The space is about 10mm. if i remember correct. When boot lid is closed the spring bottoms out and after time bends the upper mounting bracket as we have seen. The only solution that i have seen, is spring that goes over the whole gas spring. With suitable spring that would get rid of the bottoming problems, and at same time give longer and smoother "push" for the lid.

• 9 months later...

It's been a while but 12 months have passed and my boot struts have finally failed. I discovered this when the boot decided to fall on me as I was unloading the shopping so new aftermarket struts fitted.

Just a warning to anyone who did this spring mod. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club