Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Cordless Drill Advice

jace1969

I'm looking at getting a cordless drill with a budget of £100 max.

I want it to be Li-ion and at least 18v with 2 batteries and a good make.

I had a ni-cad a few monthes ago on offer 24v but a cheap challenge extreme but being

ni-cad i get the normal fault,got to use it untill flat and its a pain if there is still charge in it as

it runs out half way through a job and can't just top the charge up as the memory thing.

Seen this link on argos and any advice would be great,it's a good make 'stanley'.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3338762.htm

Would this one be better than the stanley one as i have a new corded stanley and its spot on.

This one on argos is 2.0 AH batteries and seems good reviews,if i can't see any others i will get one sunday.

would only say if it were a "trade rated" appliance then Screwfix would likely stock it. I'm not certain of anything from Argos in a "professional" / work capacity

Do be fooled by the dewalt publicity they are good gear but in my opinion a bit over priced. My last update was a Bosch drill and it's excellent I got a spare battery with it for less than the dewalt equivalent

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

Im not trying to fool anyone, i own one so recommend them based on my own usage and being happy with it. I would buy a Bosch though if it was a comparible price and spec. Usually the Dewalt are priced cheaper than Bosch though when on offer at Screwfix.

Is the drill for work or DIY?

If it's DIY you could get away with one battery as Li-ion charge quickly, B&Q hve a 18v dewalt for £86. The usually have the ni-cad 2 battery version for about £80.

Most people will end up with a favourite make (due to reliability, cost and ability) mines been dewalt for years, back to when they were known as ELU, only faults I've had in 20 odd years is batteries getting old and a seized chuck.

It will be used for DIY and why i went for this make 'stanley' as it's a well knowen make and i have had

a few things before ( corded drills/saws/grinder ) and seem to keep going,

I will never pay for a top make £200 plus as i think a lot are over priced as said above.

I know i will never touch Nicad again,fitting 50 panels of wood and both of my batteries went flat.

Can't charge it up untill flat so stop and start.

Never knew that Dewalt is part of the Stanley Black and Decker group, u.s.a.

Read a nice few on Google,link below.

http://toolguyd.com/tool-brands-corporate-affiliations/

Didn't know Stanley made power tools, don't think anyone even mentioned a drill over £200 as you stated your budget, some people will pay that much and more for tools because of the quality and reliability.

Capacity of the battery might have been why they went flat quickly.

You have 2 batteries so that one is on charge while the other is being used, so you have continous use, you can charge the batteries when ever. Probably good idea to run it flat for the first few charges but after that it will be fine, one of my batteries is on the way out but it is 6 years old and gets used everyday.

Didn't know Stanley made power tools, don't think anyone even mentioned a drill over £200 as you stated your budget, some people will pay that much and more for tools because of the quality and reliability.

Capacity of the battery might have been why they went flat quickly.

You have 2 batteries so that one is on charge while the other is being used, so you have continous use, you can charge the batteries when ever. Probably good idea to run it flat for the first few charges but after that it will be fine, one of my batteries is on the way out but it is 6 years old and gets used everyday.

I was just saying some out there are mad prices £200 plus

I always thought i won't have a good charge if i put my old NiCad on charge if not flat,on both batteries.

Say i wanted to do a job and still had charge in both batteries these have to be used until flat as i do but then

i have 2 flat batteries and 1 on charge for a good 3 to 5 hours,so got flat when doing the job i'm doing.

If i have a Li-on 'stanley' one i can put on charge until full on both batteries 1 hour each and 2 full batteries charged even if the batteries still had a bit of charge in and then a good few hours work i can do.

Never had an issue with my ni-cads desalts is a 1 hour charger. Sometimes I've had to swap them after they've only had 15mins on charge to get on with the job.

I had this Nicad for a few months,i put it on charge when there was still charge in the battery and when i used it

when it said it was charged full it went flat quick when being used so asked about and they all said that you have to run battery until dead flat as the 'memory ' effect,if charged when not flat it will go flat very fast,asked a few this and read a nice few places,I did ask screwfix and wickes this a nice bit ago,something that it will

remember where it was charged from so you won't get full usage from the battery.

I use a slightly earlier version of this drill and have always found it very reliable for all jobs (short of drilling masonry for which I use a corded hammer drill) -

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=111671870591&alt=web

I like it because the battery pack is non intrusive in tight spaces and keeps the weight down which is beneficial for long periods of use.

Mine has been going solid for 4 years and shows no sign of wear'n'tear and the batteries are still going strong.

I did look at the JCB range,nice prices and with the Li-on battery and 2 of them so leave one on charge.

There are about 4 or 5 makes out there which i think are good for DIY and a good spec.

You don't think that there are a nice few makes in the same group or made in the same place/factory just the name.

Got this stanley one,only 1 left so lucky.

The only thing is when you release the trigger the brake is quick in and it clunks a bit

when not under pressure say you just hold it,just like you hear the cogs stop.

Free 3 year cover and all done online.

Most do that when there new, it'll stop after a bit of use

Thanks for all your feedback off all,good advice as always. :)

Most do that when there new, it'll stop after a bit of use

I've got an old (almost 10 years old) Bosch 24v cordless hammer drill - plenty of use and it still does that now!!

Try easing off the trigger gently, the brake isn't quite as harsh that way.

I love my drill - only problem is the weight...but I've yet to find a job it can't do :D Needs a new battery though :-( Debating whether it's time to replace the whole thing or risk cheap pattern parts off of amazon

pains me to recommend this but take a look at the ryobi range of tools very versatile and on the cheap end of trade,

as im a chippy by trade so have a lot of Bosch blue which are like most trade products expensive but you do get what you pay for quality and longevity,

dewalt now are no way as good as they used to be a few years ago,as advice above about the lithium range of batteries compared to the others you have had,the lions do not have a memory in them so you can put them on charge anytime you require a top up without damaging the batteries.

if you fancy a punt with your price range take a look on eBay and perhaps by a trade drill for that money,you will notice the difference.

• Like 1

I get the impression that Ryobi are very hit & miss. One year they appear to be fantastic quality and represent really good value for money, then the next they're awful.

Haven't DeWalt outsourced a lot of their manufacturing to the Far East?

well on another forum i use a few guys there are always bigging them up,as a fairly decent drill/equipment.especially the one range.

dewalts downfall was allowing it to be sold in the sheds.thus selling to the masses,which meant they apparently dumbed down all the innards etc as you say.

so the trade in general went off them,they really started going off them when they killed the 'ELU' name.

saying that i do have a few dewalt tools but i wouldnt personally ever have there drills again.but everyone has a differing opinion on whats best,i will always big up 'Bosch blue'.

I get the impression that Ryobi are very hit & miss. One year they appear to be fantastic quality and represent really good value for money, then the next they're awful.

Haven't DeWalt outsourced a lot of their manufacturing to the Far East?

Isn't a lot of manufacturing "outsourced" to the far East anyway ?

I always used to use Makita because my old man used to get them cheap from work.

Moved on to Black & Decker but the batteries never lasted and were expensive to replace.

Now very settled with my JCB one and hopefully for a few more years to come yet.

ultimate recommendation.

'feestool' best in the business.still using a 1/4" router over 20 years later.the drills are amazing.BUT you need a mortgage.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club