Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Now What Do I Do?

Leajayse

I purchased the VSS from E-Bay, booked the car into the local garage and have just spoken to them. They can't get the old VSS out! They are worried that if they force it, something will break and then they will have to remove the gearbox, which of course shoots the bill up. Now it is sitting on the forecourt ready for me to pickup and decide what to do next. They've checked the cabling and that seems fine. They were surprised when I handed them the part as they said usually it's the array on the dashboard!

I want to pursue this as I love the car but I think I need some advice or just some thinking time! lol

Leajayse

Just a reminder so that you can hopefully perhaps pin it down. Is the VSS the right route?

At its worst:

speedo drops to zero

odometer disappears

slow down to turn, all power goes including steering.

Lea

You will also find that the odo is not recording mileage either which is a no no especially for mot time.

The vss will come out but needs copious spraying with wd40 or plusgas and a lot of twisting and wiggling with maul grips.

There have been a couple of cases where the vss can snap in half requiring getting to the stub from inside the casing but others have also been able to remove it using a draw hammer.

Patience and not being too heavy handed usually pays off.

Thank you Stoney.

Yesterday I e-mailed both Ford and the garage from which I bought the car. I was REALLY fed up! Today I received a reply from both asking me to contact them. So it's a case of watch this space! Yesterday my local garage returned the car to me. I fully expected a bill as they had spent quite a lot of time working on it. They refused payment because they hadn't fixed it! You don't get too many of those to the pound.

Leajayse

Keep us updated.

Hopefully you'll be sorted soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you know. I spoke to a Natasha from Ford who said they couldn't do anything due to the age of the car. I pointed out that the problem was a manufacturing fault and nothing to do with the age of the car OR the driver!. That Ford seemed very unconcerned that people had to pay out hundreds of pounds to fix the problem or concerned for the company's reputation. She said she would pass it on!!! Yeah right!

Purchase garage said they would fix it so I took it down, they changed the VSS and so far, so good. Free

Many thanks for everyone's help. Will no doubt need more! lol

Lea

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club