Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk3 St (Facelift) Petrol Vs Derv?

dmizz93

Ladies and Gents...

The time has gone for my beloved Fez to go back to ford (after all of 9months) and I've got myself set on the Focus ST in either Stealth Grey or Blue..

The other two options I'm between are Petrol VS Diesel..

Really it's a no brainier, Petrol for the extra ponies but my experience with the Fez and the combined book figure of 48mpg translated to real world of 35 on average has me wondering what real world economy the Petrol would get..

Booked is around 42mpg and working by the fiesta figures I'd probably estimate it would achieve pretty much bang on 30 combined?

This is where you lot come in... If you can let me know what figures you're getting with driving style it would be much appreciated.

I have a friend with the ST-D ;) I tend to steer clear of him but he tells me his gets an average of 55 combined.

If I went for the diesel I'd bridge the gap with a bluefin (or similar) map, if anyone has any experience with this on a focus id also like to hear from you!!

Have test driven the diesel and am booked in to test drive the petrol tomorrow; obviously I'm expecting them to be worlds apart in terms of power and progressiveness but as I've done 12k in 9 months I'm leaning towards diesel.

Last Q, does anyone know roughly how many miles it takes for the diesel to be more cost effective?

For me it's not a matter of IF but WHEN I get the car.. I was just thinking as the car will cost me roughly £55 extra per month if i saved a tank of fuel the diesel would effectively cost the same?

Replies welcome :) ta!

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

I'd also like to know the mpg of the petrol. Putting an order in for mine tomorrow (tangerine ST2).

By any chance did you have a quick look at what the trip computer said in your drive today?

Also has driving the petrol now swayed your decision?

Averaging 33 M.P.G. in our 2015 Focus ST 3 - calculated over 3,000 miles since new, didn't buy it for economy :)

I'd also like to know the mpg of the petrol. Putting an order in for mine tomorrow (tangerine ST2).

By any chance did you have a quick look at what the trip computer said in your drive today?

Also has driving the petrol now swayed your decision?

Ohhhh, Tangerine ST2, lovely! I had a chat with one of the sales reps today to look for Stock ST's and I think there's a Stock ST3 in tangerine somewhere in the country so may be worth asking, there's only 4 Focus ST's anywhere at the minute.. All are made to build, and apparently there's around a 10week lead time at the minute!

Petrol was good, I never really floored it as there aren't that many suitable roads near me, but it seemed rather eager to go, didn't feel as fast as the fiesta but that's just because in my experience the Focus is more refined - drove really well though, can't fault it at all.

Trip computer was at 30.2 when I got in - however I'm not sure over how many miles that was.. I'd reset it when I got in and by the end of my test drive it was sitting at 26.7 - that was a fairly spirited drive however. I do know the salesman fairly well and got given the chance to take an extended test drive, went down the back roads which was thoroughly enjoyable though it would have been better if there was less traffic!

Still not 'swayed' by the petrol as such, if anything I'm more unsure than I was before!!

Diesels have too many problems either way its an st the economy will be rubbish its a car to be driven the bluefin will also invalidate the warranty and yes ford can tell if the maps been altered

3 sts at my local right now ....ide take the lowest mpg figure for both and that's usually near the real world figure you'll get

You have to get the petrol one.

If you get the diesel model one day you'll be on a motorway and some twonk in a ST220 will fly past you and you'll know that it's more powerful than yours and have to stifle a sob ;)

• Like 2

The diesel should out accelerate the petrol in the low to mid range easily. You'll be sitting at 70mpg in 6th and wont need to drop a gear to blat up to 90. Torque is much better and more usable day to day and you'll get better economy

Always impressed by how keen my 1.6 Duratorq 115 is compared to sons ecoboost 125hp Fiesta petrol, which it leaves standing while still doing 52 mpg ave. and it will only get better when chipped. And it revs to 8k without flattening out to badly so you can drive it like a petrol if you want

I would imagine that around twisty country roads the diesel is a far smoother and faster without having to rev its guts out. Be interesting to hear the comparison between them in the ST from someone who has driven them both (but you have to adjust your driving style a little for the diesel)

Dont even think about diesel for an ST, its as fast as a mk3 2.0 tdci titanium X with a slight remap

go for the petrol

There's rarely, if ever, any need to '' rev the guts out '' of a petrol Focus ST 3 with 250bhp & 360 nm of torque I can assure you.

• Like 1

You have to get the petrol one.

If you get the diesel model one day you'll be on a motorway and some twonk in a ST220 will fly past you and you'll know that it's more powerful than yours and have to stifle a sob ;)

then the twonk runs out of fuel while you still have 3/4 tank left in yours and you cruise past at 70mph and 55mpg!

how many miles do you do btw? i read that the diesel would only become more fuel economic if you do approx 11k miles but i dont know about that.

i have a tdci and get 450 miles per tank and more if i have to do motorway miles. plenty of power that puts a smile to my face. the only thing i do really miss is the induction and exhaust noise but the tdci whistles and turns heads so that'll do.

I would go for the Petrol. Diesel is still not as refined in my opinion as petrols although they have come a long way they still bring a lot of issues as well. I would always choose a lovely refined petrol engine over a diesel anyway. Its really hard to beat the feel and sound of a well tuned petrol engine. In regards to mpg every manufacture and car states great figures on paper but fact is in real world there are too many factors to consider to be able to put a mpg figure that 100% accurate.

For my self any car around towns or citys will struggle to give great mpg due to the conditions but on a good open road or motor way anything from 40- 50 mpg is 100% which most cars will do anyway. so for me its not about more mpg its more about which car I like the best in terms of looks ect and which car is going to cheaper and more reliable to maintain and run from day day and for myself this always turns out to be the petrol over the diesel for many reasons. In regards to performance type cars like the RS and ST well its really a no brainer lol! It has to be petrol all the way!!!!!! :) as I said just my opinion but good luck anyway lol! either way the car itself your looking at is a great car.

I have driven both the petrol and diesel 3.5 St and the difference is a mile wide.

The petrol is nippier in all gears and has bags of torque.

I get about 340 to a tank city driving and 400 on motorways.

• Like 1

Your friend should go to a doctor with his STD!

Anyway on the motorway a large engine is not so bad as you would expect, it only around town it an issue. Even my old jag on the motorway managed 39mpg @ 80ish

• Like 1

The diesel has more torque than the petrol at 400nm v 360nm and will average 20mpg better than the petrol (Fords figures). What Car also said it was more refined and faster in the wet as it didn't spin up so easily. Plus diesels last longer than petrol and are easier to chip, so that 60 BHP gap can be narrowed and the torque will be nearer 500nm once someone does a map for it

Horses for courses, they both suit different driving styles, but if you do a lot of motorway cruising for work like I do the diesel wins. Also cheaper to tax and insure I would imagine

Get one of each & it's a win win situation ! :)

• Like 5

there's only 4 Focus ST's anywhere at the minute.. All are made to build, and apparently there's around a 10week lead time at the minute!

Must only be 3 now then! :D

Clive & I own 2 of those petrol versions :)

• Like 2

The diesel has more torque than the petrol at 400nm v 360nm and will average 20mpg better than the petrol (Fords figures). What Car also said it was more refined and faster in the wet as it didn't spin up so easily. Plus diesels last longer than petrol and are easier to chip, so that 60 BHP gap can be narrowed and the torque will be nearer 500nm once someone does a map for it

Horses for courses, they both suit different driving styles, but if you do a lot of motorway cruising for work like I do the diesel wins. Also cheaper to tax and insure I would imagine

It's actually a 70bhp gap ;)

Clive & I own 2 of those petrol versions :)

I own a petrol mk3.5 ST and drive a diesel mk3 ST estate for work.

I also drove a diesel mk3.5 ST for a few days while my own car was having a tracker fitted and getting a scuff sorted (noticed on collection and sorted by the dealer).

I prefer the petrol ST hands down with no reservations.

I didn't buy it for economy, it's purely for fun and the performance doesn't disappoint at all.

Trust me when I say that one day you will look at the diesel model and say to yourself "Damn, Wish I'd gone for the petrol engine" 8)

• Like 2

I have had both petrol and diesel. The extra map is counter by the extra 5p to 10p per litre, so unless you do big motor way miliage then it's of no benefit. For now you get lower tax ratings but more complex engines. The torque difference will no result in better performance, so it is what it is.

My conclusions would be if you do 30K on the motorway go diesel, 30K around town hybrid else petrol.

I reckon I'd probably do around 16k a year, not a lot of 'town driving' as I never tend to drive during rush hours..

I have driven both and whilst I didn't get the chance to properly boot the petrol the diesel didn't seem all that far off.. The map narrows the gap to around 30-35bhp but will have 100+ extra NM's of torque.

It's not as if the Diesel would be boring to drive but I do get what people say RE the petrol being more exciting. They do feel like two different cars to drive.

The problems with Diesel engines/cars is a non starter for me (excuse the pun) I'm only likely to keep this car for 3 years tops so within warranty etc..

I just know that because I'm heavy with my right foot I'll probably never see over 26 in the petrol whereas i could thrash the diesel and still get 50..

Hmmm should just get both you're right

Petrol >> diesel, all the way.

• Like 1

Do a deal for one of each, you should get a brace for £43k - ish :)

It sounds like your swaying more to the diesel. If the power difference isn't much of a concern and would rather save the money on fuel than go for that. If you decide you made a mistake, just swap for a petrol one in 9 months time.

• Like 1

It sounds like your swaying more to the diesel. If the power difference isn't much of a concern and would rather save the money on fuel than go for that. If you decide you made a mistake, just swap for a petrol one in 9 months time.

Any money saved using diesel fuel rather than petrol over this short period would be far outweighed by depreciation and the losses in buying & selling. Not very wise.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club