Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Alton Towers Crash

The Dark Knight

That will also have a big psychological impact on her and may restrict her career aspirations. I feel sorry for her and she deserves compensation but I know only too well from a serious incident that almost killed my dad that money can't even begin to compensate for such serious life changing injuries.

Purely from a legal point of view, I find this very interesting as negligence was always one of my favourite subjects.

1. Does the defendant owe the claimant a duty of care? - A clear yes in this case
  2. Has the defendant breached that duty? - Again we can say yes here and Nick Varney stated that safety was inadequate
  3. Did the breach cause the loss/injury? - Once again a clear yes
  4. There is also sufficient proximity between the defendant and their actions or lack thereof and the claimants

The solicitors for the claimants will have this covered comfortably and Merlin will have their own in-house solicitors who will now seek to mitigate as best they can and settle up.

Merlin of course should have an expensive and comprehensive insurance policy which will cover them for legal expenses and compensation incurred through negligence etc. and it will probably cover them for the loss suffered by being closed. This is speculation of course as I haven't seen their policy but it seems probable that the cover would be fairly extensive.

• Like 2

Alton Towers are already offering millions in compensation... At the moment the reaction of AT has been very good. They closed down until everything was tested and rectified, allowed access to official investigation teams, admitted liability without any fighting and are offering a big pot of compo. I sincerely hope that they continue to trade as unfortunately there are very little firms who would be doing the same.

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP

I totally agree with Dave's synopsis of the law of negligence, having taught the subject for many years. You may be

interested to look at this link for another awful fairground disaster resulting in deaths.

http://londonist.com/2014/03/londons-forgotten-disasters-the-battersea-big-dipper-crash.php

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Only just seen this post... but I know one of the girls who were severly injured, i've spoke to her since, she's recovering really well, its such a shame it couldnt have happened to nicer lass.

• Like 2

Glad to hear she is doing well. Sadly it disappeared from the news and no further feedback. Was the lass you know unlucky to lose her leg?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah she seems to be coping well, she's always been a strong girl though, quiet but determined, and it's Leah Washington, seen her mentioned in this thread a couple of times, it really is a shame...

I'm still in contact with her, give her my support and that, but she's strong enough and she seems to be recovering well!

• Like 1

The best anyone can ever hope for under such circumstances!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club