Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta Mk6 Intermittent Rubbing Noise From Wheel

CharlieUK

Hi guys, wondering if anyone can help my,

I recently hit a kerb coming round a corner, small dint in alloy but nothing else much so drive on fine. A week later my car has started making a rubbing noise kind like something is rubbing on the tyre. But only appears intermittent when driving on A roads and some side roads. I know some roads have ribbed extra grip Tarmac but this is not the same noise

I've taken it to a mechanic and he says he cannot see anything rubbing on the gear. I'd drive train suspension or the tyre itself, but he did mention the tyre tread was aggressive and getting low, so I change them independently for Goodyear efficient grip performance then balanced , hoped noise would go away... It has not.

Could it be the tracking although I did a little test on a 0 camber straight and it wasn't pulling to one side, nor is the steering wheel angled to one side when driving

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

I would say tracking mate

• Like 2

Just taken it in for tracking. Says it's not worth doing, no way tracking would cause a rubbing noise and it's not pulling to one side, could it be gearbox??

Could the noise be coincidence and it's maybe alternator or timing belts ?

Just taken it in for tracking. Says it's not worth doing, no way tracking would cause a rubbing noise and it's not pulling to one side, could it be gearbox??

My tracking causes a "rubbing" noise due to the tyre being at the wrong angle. Waiting for a lower ball joint before having it done...

Have you checked if the alloy is straight?

• Like 1

Don't know if this is related but when in driving if I dip the clutch and hold it, I can feel a grinding effect, the alloy has a slight dint to it. I will upload pictures tomorrow

Could be wheel bearing starting to go, quite common on the mk6

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

Front wheel bearings (which I assume it would be as you can't feel it when Compressing the clutch pedal) are reasonably easy to change yourself assuming you've got the right tool! If not expect around £50-80 at a garage

Took it to another garage who check specifically for worn wheel bearings, looked like he was rocking them, says he couldn't see or hearing any rubbing. When I told him it was intermittent he couldn't think of a reason.

I've checked break pads, disks for warping, belts, but the noise is still there, what's confusing me is that it's the offside wheel that's had new suspension and that's the wheel making the noise

• 1 month later...

Update..

The noise is still there, I can feel it though the acelletator pedal, mechanic cannot find anything out if the ordinary. I think he thinks I'm going mad coz the bugger never makes a noise when he's in the car. Also, cruising at 70 the car shakes. Not too much, but a little. As before. Bearings have been checked and alignment also. It's a mystery

has the lower ball joint been checked? I had to replace one of mine the other week. part cost lss than £15 and took me about half a day as i was trying to do things the lazy way.. I was lacking energy! haha

Yea, that was replaced same time as springs

Hmm, strange

• Like 1

It sounds wieght related as it won't do it when u have mechanic in car trying to show him.

• Like 1

Also the clutch thrust release bearings are going on it as well, I've noticed that when I pull away from a junction the clutch whines and the noise starts. Clutch has been making noises for at least a year now,

Yes I CAN feel a scratching sensation when I dip the clutch on the road, but as far as I'm aware the clutch seams fine, doesn't grind gear And holds on a hill, although I never ride the clutch normally.

Brake disks were changed last year as well as pads, tyres changed in March, goodyear efficientgrip at 32 psi

I'm gunna try and record it today and I'll post a few pics as I can't be the only one who has encountered this noise.

I find the clutch noisey on these anyway mine has 33k and they do make a few noises I think most of the whining you hear is gearbox as it quite audible in 1st and 2nd, we have 2 mk6s and they both do it I would be interested to hear your wheel noise though to see if it's the similar to the noise mine is making at the minute.

Ive managed to record the noise, listen from 1:12 to 1.40 then its more prominent at 2.14 to 3.04 (2.30 you can hear it get louder,) all at the same time its a vibrating on the accelerator pedal.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qa2l83jnxxvrcl/MOV_0105%20%28online-audio-converter.com%29.mp3?dl=0

Vibrating on the accelerator pedal is just the vibration passing through the car, as the mk6 has an electronic throttle :)

Vibrating on the accelerator pedal is just the vibration passing through the car, as the mk6 has an electronic throttle :)

But this is differnt to what it feels like normally, its a lot more severe, i know its an eletronic sensor, thats why it's even more confusing

But this is differnt to what it feels like normally, its a lot more severe, i know its an eletronic sensor, thats why it's even more confusing

It sounds like something happening on revolution if the wheels doesn't seem to be a fast enough noise to be the engine, I reckon it could be a wheel bearing or something along them lines next time you have the car running turn the wheel all the way to the right and have a look behind the drivers wheel for anything also like a split cv boot or anything like that.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just had a look under the car today, the near side rubber cv boot thingy has a split in it. I inserted my fingers, into the hole and I can't feel any grease! Might try and replace the rubber boot. Btw it's the outer rubber. It looks easy enough to do, has anybody else replace the cv rubber? Cheersza

Oh and I'm also gunna grease up the joint also. Won't be leaving it dry

• Like 1

I've censored the post now. Hoping to get to it this weekend

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club