Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wheel Alignment

TomsFocus

Just a quick one, had wheel alignment done yesterday on my Mk2.5 Focus and considering it was only done 4 months ago it was way off according to the results from the place I used yesterday.

Just wondered if anyone knew what it should be so I can see which one was right lol!

Didn't have rear altered (bit short on money atm and didn't want to risk rear bolts snapping) but they did check it so would also like to know what that should be?

Cheers

Tom

Just a quick one, had wheel alignment done yesterday on my Mk2.5 Focus and considering it was only done 4 months ago it was way off according to the results from the place I used yesterday.

Just wondered if anyone knew what it should be so I can see which one was right lol!

Didn't have rear altered (bit short on money atm and didn't want to risk rear bolts snapping) but they did check it so would also like to know what that should be?

Cheers

Tom

Tom

I wouldn't mind knowing the same because I had my focus checked for alignment last time I had front tyres replaced and according to the place I used it was out by "half a turn" on drivers side. The guy was going to charge for it but said it really there was not much in it so I said just leave because they had this new 4 wheel alignment machine that they themselves said it was still a learning curve for them so I was not overly confident that they had or took the correct readings. I have had weird tyre wear on the front tats why I has it checked but The tyre wear is back and all suspensions components ect are 100% so I guess it does need alignment on the front and maybe the half a turn might make a difference but its hard to know where to go to get it down right. I must price ford and maybe try them.

Im not sure how these new machines work but I guess it is by a laser maybe and does the machine store manufacture settings (ie chamber angles, toe in out angels ect) for each make of car or how do the garage themselves know what the correct setting is for different cars?

If we had the correct readings of the focus at least we could take it with us each time we get this checked and know its set right.

Thanks for the link James but I've never had a car with 0 toe so I'm not sure that's right. It wouldn't be helpful for cornering or straight line and usually cars are slightly biased towards one of those. :s

Sonic, yeah I'd like to know the correct spec to ask for when having it done ideally. When I was at college there was a huge wall poster of toe angles of various cars but that's all stored on auto-data as far as I know. But it seems the garages don't know or don't check as mine has been set to toe out once and toe in the other time!

The old Mk1 mondeo loved 0 Toe. It would track all over the place, pull to one side braking and feather tyres if set to any other figure (and 0 was within the Ford allowed range). 0 is where there is the least stress on the tyre so they run cooler etc. However 0 is very sensitive to any bush or bearing wear. Any movement in the wheels will result in wandering. A slight toe on the wheels tightens up the slack in the suspension components so makes the car feel more stable

But fo course the toe changes as the wheel moves through the suspension range (better designs minimise this) so its fun trying to get the exact measurement read, should be done with the driver in the car and the car should be rolled in so (no brakes) so that its in normal drive position. if the driver gets out and back in then the alignment is probably now off

• Like 2

Yes that's it Darren, cheers! :D

Looks like it has been set up correctly this time from that, no idea where they got the measurement from last time!

• Like 1

No worries, dug it out when toying with either dropping the suspension to ST levels or fitting bigger wheels, one of those projects that's been sitting on a shelf for a wee while now! :)

Its probably much like the way they torque up wheel nuts, guess, even my local ford garage does it.

• Like 1

that sheet is better darren, i used the sport settings on my car when it went for its alignment, it definately tracked better

• Like 1

Is that what your wanting tom?

Thanks Darren

Very useful to have these.

• Like 1

I had 4 wheel alignment completed after 12 months from New, 14 years ago. They were out by loads. I've never had to have tracking done again and my tyre wear was much better. Best £60 I ever spent.

• Like 1

Hi I took my car in quick fit for a new tyre they said the tracking was out so let them get on with it it was the worse thing I had done . I will never let them touch my car again it was pulling over to the right I had wheel wobble I was not happy with them to it to a small garage in Bolton it is now spot on

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

I had 4 wheel alignment completed after 12 months from New, 14 years ago. They were out by loads. I've never had to have tracking done again and my tyre wear was much better. Best £60 I ever spent.

14 years!? Do you never hit potholes, sunken drains or kerbs lol? Mines usually out after a year. :lol:

Actually, just realised its only 9 years. Yes I do hit pot holes but must have been lucky. Get great mileage from the tyres still. Will pay to do alignment if it goes as the saving on tyres is well worth it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club