Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is A Cat Back The Same As A De Cat?

MPX309

So now I have to ask, which is the best set up to go with?

I originally wanted the Cobra catback, it will take me a little longer to save up for, but I'm thinking is the Metal's "upgraded" exhaust enough, and can I just settle on a backbox to tune the noise to my desire. I had quote from Pro Speed for a backbox just under £200

Annoyingly when I had the car the exhaust sounded nice and deep and not too loud, but now it sounds raspy and farty, hence really the only reason for doing this mod.

Or are there other cat back systems I should look too. Don't really want to spend more than £450.

Damn I hate that Ford called the Fiesta a Metal, it makes searching for things much more difficult as most parts of a car are made from Metal.

MPX309

I know its a headache, it took me a year to dicide :huh:

If you want it louder go for a Sportex center pipe http://www.sportex-exhausts.com/Ford-Fiesta-MK7-2008-on-16i-Zetec-S-Hatchback/cat/4/sub/56/subsub/66

you still have a little bit of raspy and farty sound, which I like (big fan of rallycross/rally)

If you want to get rid of the raspy/farty sound go for a quality backbox and save the rest of the money or go for others upgrades :D

I will make a video tomorrow maybe you will get a step closer to dicide :unsure:

If it was a st, there is only one option:

:P

Fiesta Metal in uk, is called Fiesta sport street edition(only came in panther black) in denmark?!? wtf Ford

• Like 1

So now I have to ask, which is the best set up to go with?

I originally wanted the Cobra catback, it will take me a little longer to save up for, but I'm thinking is the Metal's "upgraded" exhaust enough, and can I just settle on a backbox to tune the noise to my desire. I had quote from Pro Speed for a backbox just under £200

Annoyingly when I had the car the exhaust sounded nice and deep and not too loud, but now it sounds raspy and farty, hence really the only reason for doing this mod.

Or are there other cat back systems I should look too. Don't really want to spend more than £450.

Damn I hate that Ford called the Fiesta a Metal, it makes searching for things much more difficult as most parts of a car are made from Metal.

Search for parts for the fiesta S1600, it's the same engine and state of tune as the metal.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, yeah maybe I will get just the back box, I had a magnex on a corsa B once, and even though it was just a box, that thing was insanely loud, the money I save I can put towards something else. . . I was thinking vinyl roof wrap, but I know once I get that done I'll want the diffuser and front grille satin black to match. . . Orrr I might get the Bluefin (probably both lol)

savage habit this.

Forgive me, why on earth would you want a loud exhaust?

A loud exhaust to me means some young kid is trying to simulate being a tit.

Heaps of sound with a knackered engine going nowhere.

Traffic light take-offs usually prove this.

Making noise uses watts which you need at the wheels.

• Like 1

I don't want a loud exhaust, I want an exhaust that doesn't sound like a wet f@rt

The reference to the Magnex was on my first car when I was 17, It was more so that just a backbox alone can help change the tone, I'm 32 now, so yes I've probably grown up abit and not sticking silly things on my car anymore, but I still don't want it sounding terrible.

• Like 1

Well I can hear mine, and it's not too pleasant in it's current state. Obviously you have a different Fiesta to me, so your circumstances are different. But the Metal comes with an exhaust which is pretty loud out the factory, so if something happens to it (I'm not sure what's happened to mine) and it changes tone then it's still loud but sounds terrible at the same time.

I guess it should sound like that. I can confirm it doesn't.

I'm lucky then, mine could sound like a moped, I couldn't care less.

Performance matters to me.

I'm lucky then, mine could sound like a moped, I couldn't care less.

Performance matters to me.

Well good for you. I'm pretty sure upgrading exhaust comes under performance, and naturally when people choose an exhaust, they chose a sound they like too. So I don't really see your point.

Presumably I'm getting the 125bhp that I paid for, if I wanted more i'd have paid for more rather than piddle about extracting the odd bhp from mods. Admittedly, when I was a kid I piddled around with mini engines, looking back t'was pretty pointless, though enjoyable.

Presumably I'm getting the 125bhp that I paid for, if I wanted more i'd have paid for more rather than piddle about extracting the odd bhp from mods. Admittedly, when I was a kid I piddled around with mini engines, looking back t'was pretty pointless, though enjoyable.

What if you're not getting the 125bhp that you paid for? would you go out of your way to get that back? I'm sure you would, same scenario here sorry. If you read carefully you'd see I'm only making these changes to get the sound back to how it was when I bought the car, same situation really. I've not gone to Longlife and asked for the loudest exhaust possible, or stuck a cherrybomb on it, I think you've misunderstood the situation a bit. Anyway, Hope you understand it now better.

• Like 1

There are loud exhausts and there are stupidly loud exhausts. That's why I made that comment about not waking people up when driving past, as many of the boy racers will with their 120 db exhausts.

I just want the car to sound like a fast Ford should, and if you look at the difference in noise between a standard Fiesta ST and a Focus RS you'll see what I mean. I admit thought that a 4 cylinder engine will rarely sound good, some do but it's never going to be as pleasant to the ears as a V6 or V8. A better exhaust will help, but I don't want to go over the top.

Also for me the noise of the car is a big part of what makes it fun to drive. I know some people don't get this but if you watch Top Gear they always make a big deal of the noise a car makes, if it makes a good noise.

• Like 3

winemart2

Cant compare the metal,4 cylenders 1,6L N/A and ecoboost 3 cylenders 1,0 turbo, they will never sound the same, I dont care if my metal have 134 hk or 144hk ect, its all aboud torque for me, how it pulls, mine pulls alot better after I cut out the mittle box , changed the intake and ignition.

After that I went Mad :lol: bought preformence brake hoses, sports discs / pads , struct brace, mountune short shifter and gearknob,eibach pro suspention ect,

now it feels/drive/preformes a hole lot better.Just to make a good car better and for trackdays.(petrolhead lifestyle) :P

MPX309
Maybe call ford for a price on a new metal backbox, but I guess you have to buy the full system from ford, or the sportex center pipe,
I´ll put up the video in a cuple of hours
Phil 87 is spot on(guess you are my brother from a nother mother)
then again its all about personal reference/oppentions
  • Like 2

winemart2

Cant compare the metal,4 cylenders 1,6L N/A and ecoboost 3 cylenders 1,0 turbo, they will never sound the same, I dont care if my metal have 134 hk or 144hk ect, its all aboud torque for me, how it pulls, mine pulls alot better after I cut out the mittle box , changed the intake and ignition.

After that I went Mad :lol: bought preformence brake hoses, sports discs / pads , struct brace, mountune short shifter and gearknob,eibach pro suspention ect,

now it feels/drive/preformes a hole lot better.Just to make a good car better and for trackdays.(petrolhead lifestyle) :P

MPX309
Maybe call ford for a price on a new metal backbox, but I guess you have to buy the full system from ford, or the sportex center pipe,
I´ll put up the video in a cuple of hours
Phil 87 is spot on(guess you are my brother from a nother mother)
then again its all about personal reference/oppentions

Thanks yeah, it's actually still under warranty, and has been to 2 different dealers, but there's doesn't appear to be any visual damage to the system, and although I don't like how it sounds now, that's not really enough for them to take it apart and have a look, it's not blowing or anything and cannot be diagnosed, which is why it's a bit of an anomaly. Will look forward to your video

• Like 1

People like different things, when you drive a car you might want hear the exhaust noise as it can make and good car even better drive.

There are exhaust that are loud and yeah and yes you might say just a boy racer, but some people have aren't boy racers and just want to hear a better note when they give it a little boot! You can get upgraded exhausts that are quieter anyway which is the resonated ones which is what this feed was about haha.

What's up with your exhaust MPX?

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

People like different things, when you drive a car you might want hear the exhaust noise as it can make and good car even better drive.

There are exhaust that are loud and yeah and yes you might say just a boy racer, but some people have aren't boy racers and just want to hear a better note when they give it a little boot! You can get upgraded exhausts that are quieter anyway which is the resonated ones which is what this feed was about haha.

What's up with your exhaust MPX?

I don't really know TBH, also the car doesn't seem to pull as well as it should. I've booked it in for a dyno test on Monday, and if it's substantially lower than the 132ps claimed I'll take it back to Ford and demand they fix it. (gotta be firm with them lol)

• Like 1

Cant find my digital camera, so made a video with my sh*t phone4s,.. not really useful, sounds like white noise :lol:

In real life it sounds like the standart fiesta metal exhaust sound?? Just a tat louder couse I have replaced the mittle box with a straight pipe.

Sounds like MPX want that crispy standart exhaust sound and not a race car/boyracer, then the sportex pipe is the cheapest salution 55£

Mountune mk7 cat back I think would sound wery sweet(not too loud), look at youtube, 250£ if I remember correct

But there a tons of exhaust systems, really comes down to you´re wallet and opinion.

When my backbox goes to the other side I will look into if the new mountune ST catback exhaust will fit the Metal Edition(I may be a little Yellow) :lol:

I´ll do some better ones when I find the camera.

Cheers

• Like 3

I don't really know TBH, also the car doesn't seem to pull as well as it should. I've booked it in for a dyno test on Monday, and if it's substantially lower than the 132ps claimed I'll take it back to Ford and demand they fix it. (gotta be firm with them lol)

You have to be firm with them otherwise they will just mug you off! Just keep harassing them until they get it sorted! Also if they don't find anything till after your warranty runs out take note of when you noticed the issue and when you took it to ford otherwise they will just mug you off again.

• Like 2

Thats the one mate, Gary can you please crawl under youre car and measure some pipes for me :lol:

Have you felt that the car isn't pulling as it should since fitting the J1 induction kit? Sounds like that will be the issue more than with the exhaust (whatever full you think that has).

If you go in to ford demanding they do some thing about your low power figure they will blame the filter, and maybe the rollers which you can't be sure of the accuracy.

Thats the one mate, Gary can you please crawl under youre car and measure some pipes for me :lol:

Let me know what you want & I'll try.

Let me know what you want & I'll try.

Have you felt that the car isn't pulling as it should since fitting the J1 induction kit? Sounds like that will be the issue more than with the exhaust (whatever full you think that has).

If you go in to ford demanding they do some thing about your low power figure they will blame the filter, and maybe the rollers which you can't be sure of the accuracy.

Yeah, I've already thought of that mate, I'm gonna have it tested with the airbox, and keep the box on pending on the results, if it's as claimed I'll just put the filter back on and get some sort of BB, or pipe or something and take it for what it is, but if it's below 120, I'm going back to Day's.

It felt slow(er) before the airbox, I can't explain how it feels slower, it's like there's not so much pull through the mid-range torque, takes a while to get up to speed, and then around 70mph isn't as sensitive as it was. I was originally gonna roll with a Bluefin then after the exhaust but someone's told me it's not worth it for a 1.6 N/A engine? Anyone here had one fitted to a similar model and can confirm or deny his claims? I do know turbo cars benefit more from remaps.

Anyway, sorry for all the questions, will probably post back on here Monday night with Dyno results.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club