Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering Not Returning To Centre

onlyoneunited

It seems like every time I go to the garage I get a new problem straight after but...

Had someone say the steering felt a bit heavy on my fiesta. Now when I drive the steering wheel doesn't return to the center at slow and medium speeds- seems OK at higher speeds. It stays at around 11 or 1 o'clock instead of going back straight.

I can't seem to see much with this issue on the web- garage said it could be u-joint, but that was more for heavy steering. But as for the wheel not returning, read it could need a new rack!

Anyone have any similar issue and could this be a job WD-40 could do? I was hoping I could get a bit more life out of the car yet as its on 122K miles and engine seems fine.

122k... When was the power steering fluid last changed? When was the tracking last done?

It had a full service two years ago which I think included a top-up at least, two interim's in the mean time but neither of those included would include power steering. But that would only explain the heavy steering wouldn't it, not the wheel not returning off-centre?

kwik fit did the wheel tracking/alignment the last time I had the front tyres changed, ive had the rears done since at an independent.

I've got the same problem in terms of the wheel not returning and the local garage aswell as a family member Suggested it could be the tracking as its very badly out.. I'm not saying it is, just a suggestion :)

hmm ok thanks for the advice. I might take it down to kwik fit for a free check and see, might explain why one of why rear tyres had worn a little unevenly last time...

anyone know if it would it be worth putting oil on the u-joint ?

I had a similar problem, turns out I had a slow leak in tyre and was running near flat. Worth taking 2 mins to check your pressures.

• Like 1

Had 4 wheel laser alignment earlier and for me the problem has gone so after checking tyre pressures as above I'd get the tracking checked :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club