Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Chris Evans.... Really?

Ianb

*shock* *horror*

I did search for this topic, I couldn't find it...

...so now I'm voicing my disappointment that Chris Evans will now be hosting some car show that we all used to call Top Gear... but I guess it can't really be called that any more...

• Like 6

Nope....can't stand the man. It's time for the BBC to reinstate Clarkson or scrap the show all together!

• Like 6

Nope....can't stand the man. It's time for the BBC to reinstate Clarkson or scrap the show all together!

To be fair, if they don't reinstate Clarkson (they won't lets face it..), then the show will scrap itself...

People have said it before, it'll become "fifth gear". I'd say fifth gear is the most boring thing I've ever watched, but it would be a lie, I don't think I've ever seen more than 3 minutes of it, so it's hard to fully judge it.....

• Like 2

I'll watch the last ever episode with the three proper hosts that should be airing soon. But I am not watching Evans and an "all new lineup" host top gear.

BBC has lost the plot imo.

I can only hope that wherever Clarkson, Hammond and May end up is not behind a paywall.

• Like 3

To be fair, I think Chris Evans is right for the job. Clarkson, May and Hammond, as much as I found Top Gear funny, had a show where they hooned a lot of metal most of us could only dream of, and Clarkson pushed the BBC too far.

I think that Chris Evans will be taking the show in a completely different direction, and it could work. He knows a lot about motors and is a true petrolhead.

However. I despise the BBC. The sooner they abolish the 'Royal Charter' the better. The people are revolting on it and they can't prosecute everyone who refuses to pay...

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP

• Like 3

However. I despise the BBC. The sooner they abolish the 'Royal Charter' the better. The people are revolting on it and they can't prosecute everyone who refuses to pay...

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP

Is this one of these "the peasants are revolting" sentences..... Do you mean the people on the BBC are revolting; disgusting people, or are you suggesting that the public are revolting against the BBC; demonstrating in a sense... ;)

Heh heh. Both.

They need to sort Top Gear out fast as it was one of their most lucrative assets. I think Chris Evans can bring in viewers, but only if the format of the show changes drastically.

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP

Just to add, there are a number of things I don't like, Chris Evans told everyone he wouldn't do it... Well that didn't last long...

Chris Evans was a massive fan of the show... So am I, but honestly if I got offered the job, I'd have turned it down! Who here loves watching top gear and thinking "I'd love to do that"? Everyone right? But who would actually like to be the foremost person on top gear? I'd much rather become an extra May or Hammond... Actually replacing someone, especially the forerunner would be: a) disastrous because you're nothing like him.

b) disappointing, because the reasons you enjoyed top gear were because of people like him...

It would never have happened but I'd have like to see what would have occurred if EVERYONE, turned the job down...

They must be targeting the older generations by having him. I enjoyed Top Gear as a show where 3 blokes did stupid stuff with expensive cars. I dont want to watch a show where they'll be reviewing the Peugeot 106!

I love the 106 but still won't be watching! :lol:

TG was great with JC, PH and JH but many times they just did stupid things that got very predictable.

I hope Chris and his new posse can turn it around. I for one will be watching and dont care if the whole format is changed. Some didn't like 5th gear but i did as it was different to TG.

What I don't understand is that a lot of people didn't like how daft TG was getting.

Surely Mr TFI Friday is even more about stupidity?

At least Clarkson was a motoring journalist first and foremost.

TG is going to loose any sense it had left of it being about motoring imo.

I didn't mind Fifth Gear, it was quite informative about cars, and had a bit of madness too. Also, the things I would do to Vicki Butler-Henderson cannot be discussed on a family forum, but are very rude, it was quite good to see a pretty face chuck a car around!

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP

• Like 1

One less reason for the nation to get TV licenses.

I think, given the BBC wouldnt return the original crew - there is little option but to allocate the role elsewhere. Sadly, no one will ever fill the shoes, as you have to have the face, arrogance, confidence, and humour all in one packet. Sadly though, we dont have any real viable alternative.

Then again, I await eagerly the replacement show on NetFlix as I would rather watch it.

I will give the show a try with Chris Evans, but I wont be watching "Top Gear" I know if anything I will be watching just another motoring show. However, if they do a combination of the flamboyant Top Gear of modern day and mix it with reasonable and real life cars, I dont see why it cant just stand up on its own. Though I think the name really should be changed.

I think when you have changed just about everything about the show, can you really call it a new show? its like "the all new car" - its not really all new, its based on its older brother. You can only facelift and remove so much before you kill the essence of whatever it is your working with, sadly the funny trio made the show 90% of what it is today, the jokes, the windups, the humour, the characterization the whole lot. I tend to think of TG as moreso the three of them fooling around, but there were some pretty awesome cars on there...

I just dont think it can go under the name of TG anymore.

i listened to him this morning on his radio show,and he gave the explanation as to why when he was 1st put up for the job and his reasons for refusing it.basically he said that he couldnt do the show when the other 2 were still there as he would be a spare part in a well oiled machine,he also said that he is very good friends with all of them,

then when he was told that captin slow and the hamster were not renewing there contracts he then gave it serious thought,

so i for 1 believe what he said was truthful and sincere,it looks like he will be the general(like JC was)and he will then bring in others that will fit in with him.

as for the original 3 splendid numptys :driving: i understand there going to netflix.which means we can all watch it on line if you know how ;) .

• Like 2

I part heard that part of his show, but had very bad reception and only caught parts of it, he was saying all three wished him well in phone calls and texts, I can see his reason for rejecting the offer initially it made sense but as has been said, starting anew someone had to do it and a quick chat later and it was his.

His Radio speech is here,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02txgd2

Not surprised in anyway that Chris got the job, it was the first name that popped up months ago.

It was nice he refused it until he knew where the others stood and got their blessing to do it,

He has the energy and knowledge to run the show, but unless he gets people he's worked with before they won't gel like the boys did.

Maybe the new presenters will get on, maybe they can create an interesting show,

But I seriously doubt they will have the Global appeal like the boys had, most prefer the UK version over their own regional ones,

remaking the UK show will just feel like all the other Global shows, it wasn't the format that made it good, it was the boys and the banter.

How would it go if the 3 of them went to another channel and start a new show as there are loads

out there if you count sky/cable and sure a program so big a hit people would have them.

New name and all that so no trouble from the BBC then.

I don't think I'd ever have the balls to become the new "top gear" presenter....

I can just see the comments now, "good, but not AS good"..

Really though, I think if they renamed it, we'd all still think the same thing... "Yeh, its OK, but it's based on top gear, and it's not as good as top gear"...

Also, no offence intended, but I enjoyed seeing "the old coders" misbehaving... If you want to see young/middle aged men misbehaving, just flick to 'brits abroad' or go to a football match or some other b******s like that...

Chris Evans is getting £3 Million quid! for doing Topgear!, The BBC a jurassic establishment for the boys? It wouldn't last 2 minutes if it wasn't subserdised by us lot !, Clarkson & Co will appear soon on a USA network/ SKY ?

• Like 1

When he first became famous Don't Forget Your Toothbrush, TFI Friday etc I really liked him, then he started going up his own a*** and I went off him! Then he started at Radio 2 and I thought he had grown up and I started to like him again. Recently though I think he's started the journey up his own 'arris again and I'm starting to go off him........again!

This morning Breakfast Show should have been re-named as 'A Public Information Film About Top Gear'

Whether he's going to be any good for TG remains to be seen BUT TG will NOT be the same as it was before.

Also I'm pretty sure JC, JM and RH will do something in the future to rival TG ;)

Just my tuppence worth.

• Like 1

As i said,in the paper this morning that Clarkson is looking at getting his own car show.

• Like 1

Good topic you started Ianb. Seems a lot of anger out there. Personally tho I remember top gear of old. I remember Angela Rippon William Woodward and Noel Edmonds presenting Top Gear. Back then it was suited and booted then as time went on and change of personnel it became casual. I remember when a young Clarkson started. Boy did he look a sight. It was coincidentally the time, he joining, that the show grew in popularity. To me tho as his time extended he became more and more up his own arsish. Didn't like him then nor now. I'm glad he's gone and the 2 halfwits. Top Gear is its own thing. The presenters are just it's tools. Copper knob will do a good job. Will Guy Martin join? Hope not. He's great with ikes and trucks but not cars. Who ever joins TG it'll still be TG. 5th Gear was made up of the remains of TG when the BBC scrapped it years ago except for Clarkson. Will I watch TG or Clarksons own show? Yes to both. One for information and the other to get my blood boiling lol.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club