Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Filter Removal Nightmare

auldreekie

02 focus 1.8 tdi.

What I thought would be a simple DIY oil and filter change turned into a damn nightmare. old oil filter just did not want to come off. 2 different types of chain wrenches could not move it, ended up punching long steel punch through it. it eventually turned inch by inch tapping the punch with a hammer and lots of swearing to make it move. Took hours while lying on your back until it was loose enough to turn by hand.

Each year I get a mot I ask for a oil filter change, I suspect they have not been changing the filter because of its postion hence the difficulty in removing it, can't prove it though, if thats the case then its 4 or 5 yrs since its been changed.

Loooking for a new garage now and new oil filter is dated with a permanent marker pen.

Alz that tool you have posted is fine if the filter have been tightened spot on, anything tight and they just bend.

Good quality pliers or even better a filter cup is the way forward.

The new filter would be better with a mark permanently scribed on it, brake cleaner does amazing things including removing permanent pen.

• Like 1

Hi

I changed my oil and filter last week I had the same problem, suspect they did not oil rubber seal when they changed the filter last time. My old chain tool with a lot of pressure finely released it. I split my old oil everywhere (in the pit) in the process, I had plenty of sawdust to mop it all up

A job that should take no more than 1/2 hour I must have been on 2 hours, must be getting old.

However I am happy knowing the job was done right, The oil and filter was changed last time by a none ford main dealer they over filled it by almost a pint of oil. I sucked it out myself through the dipstick hole using an old foot pump to suck, a glass jar, 2 pipes and a man made one way valve.

I hate having to going to garages, you cannot trust some of them to do the simplest of jobs.

Barry T .

Alz that tool you have posted is fine if the filter have been tightened spot on, anything tight and they just bend.

Good quality pliers or even better a filter cup is the way forward.

The new filter would be better with a mark permanently scribed on it, brake cleaner does amazing things including removing permanent pen.

spot on fella. I have always used a wide set of water pump pliers and they have never let me down over the years when undoing tight filters. When installing a new filter I just smear it with fresh new oil and tight it up by hand and give it a little more by hand. I find that's all that's needed and makes it easy to remove when next service comes. :)

• Like 2

i'd mark the new filter with a screwdriver/tool and etch your name onto it. when it gets serviced you can check to see if it has been done....same with other service items...leave a little mark somewhere!

I'm lucky that my dad services my car...and pays for it too!

But while you are there you might as well do the job yourself. I alway use a new sump bolt as well for £2 why not. Use a decent filter and comma oil. I do loads of town driving so change the oil more often.

• 5 years later...

2.0 diesel focus oil filter is so tight the plastic nut on top broke.what do I do next

3 hours ago, Paschall said:

2.0 diesel focus oil filter is so tight the plastic nut on top broke.what do I do next

hope you were undoing it and not makeing it tighter when you were trying to remove it. think it`s a 24mm oil filter removal socket you should have been useing. you may have to take it to a garage now to get them to try and undo it for you. but you`ll need to order a new oil filter houseing off eBay 184306346246

😉

I've always  changed my own oil and filter. Last year I got the garage to do it as I was having lots of work done.

This year I showed my daughter how easy it was to change the oil. To get the sump plug off I was using a breaker bar and all my weight to get it off. The chain wrapped around the filter had destroyed the casing and I had to check I was turning it the right way. Eventually it started to move.

I don't know why they did them up so tight. I will be doing the job myself from now on.

Re oil filters being tight, this YouTube video shows a guy changing oil and Fuel filters on an ST 2.0 diesel and he tightens the new one up with a strap wrench. Reason the 2.0l diesel is the same basically as fitted to Taxis and they had problems with the filters dropping off when tightened by hand only, the video is worth a watch, but I personally would have filled the new filter with oil before I fitted it. :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCqY2a-uxtc

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-13771-2-Inch-Capacity-Filter/dp/B0001K9PF0?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_14

I've used a strap similar to the above for years. Has the advantage of fitting in tight spaces and you can get sockets and extensions on to it for plenty of leverage.

I can't remember where I got mine, unfortunately - there is no name on it, but the strap was orange (black with dirt now!). Certainly had no issues with it not being strong enough as mentioned in some of the reviews of the Draper one above.

• 2 years later...

my filter was stuck too,ended up putting a big screwdriver through it but then i remembered an old trick ,i put my leather belt round it then the chain wrench on top of that and it did the trick but not before i'd knackered my neck in the process,damn painful for 3 days..getting too old for struggling under cars i reckon