Do Not Sell My Personal Information

60plate Focus 1.6 Tdci "loss Of Power & Engine Malfunction"

AF_MK7

hi all

this morning i was on my way to work when my car suddenly lost power and a "Engine Malfunction" warning came up on the dash. i was on the motorway overtaking someone when this happened, nearly having a lorry smash into the back of the car.

i pulled into the hard shoulder, turned the car off, waited 20 seconds then turned it back on.

the power has dropped massively and there seems to be no pull from the turbo.

the car has a egr blanking plate fitted to it & a cone air filter, apart from that no engine modifications.

it has done 138k miles & is a titanium model.

i really hope its not turbo related because ive heard it can be really pricey & im not well off with cash. So does anyone have an idea of what the heck happened ?

thanks

Andrew

• Like 1

When was the fuel filter last changed ?

Check the pipe from intercooler for splits / cracks.

not sure when the Fuel filter was last done. bought the car in january & its not been serviced since i got it. Its had a new clutch & dual mass flywheel put in it though.

im buying service stuff for it on thursday when the wages come through.

mondeotxs 2.2, would a cracked pipe cause it to flash up engine malfunction though ?

one of the turbo pipes burst on my last focus and it still had more power in it than the power thats in this now

Change the fuel filter, check the pipe & get a code reader on it to see what may be the cause..

As above I'd replace the fuel filter. This happened to me in Perth last year on a hill of all places, the car went in to limp mode so badly that having my nan push the car would've been quicker.

If I was to rev the engine to 3000rpm then it would trigger the limp home mode, and the garage explained that the engine management detected a lack of fuel pressure as a result of a clogged fuel filter which put it in to limp mode.

• Like 1

As above I'd replace the fuel filter. This happened to me in Perth last year on a hill of all places, the car went in to limp mode so badly that having my nan push the car would've been quicker.

If I was to rev the engine to 3000rpm then it would trigger the limp home mode, and the garage explained that the engine management detected a lack of fuel pressure as a result of a clogged fuel filter which put it in to limp mode.

+1 for this, my 2010 plate did this if I filled up at a certain local supermarket.

• 6 years later...

Hi af-mk7 I no this is a while a go did u ever find the fault. I have the same model amd is playing up like anything and it's driving me nuts. As you no the cars driveable bit lacks the boost its like it just cuts the turbo off. The fuel filter we can't change as its one of these ever lasting ones so I am literally out of options if you can help that will be great