Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chirping Sound From The Brakes?

Roby3087

Hi all. New here.

Had the car a month now. Its a 09 fiesta zetec s. When i bought the car it needed new front discs as the front left was badly worn down. When once they warmed up they would make a chirping sound and would last a while, but went away when braking or cooled down.

Put new discs and pads on both sides. At first they were fine. But once they were worn in, the left has started making the chirping sound again when warm. It takes a little longer for it to show its self. But goes away after they colded down a little.

I was thinking could the discs not be aligned? So as there warm up and expand they scraping?

Anyone know why its doing this? Its kinda embarassing when it does it as if i can hear it then its must be loud outside the car. Also i got thinking could it be anything else like a wheel bearing or something?

Had this issue for the first time and noticed it a week ago. Does it sound a little like this? Best at about 40 seconds.

From what i can make from the video ( using headphones atm because am at work) yea but a lot worse. I will try and get a video of it when i can.

I dont have a solution but im sending mine in on Thursday to have it checked again. Do you find your brakes are excessively firm by any chance? Mine will make an awful creaking noise as if my brakes are hyper extending past it's maximum point which seems to be 1/3 of the way of the brake pedal. If i push the brake pedal any further i end up with this noise.

Another thing i'm wondering is if whether or not they are releasing fully or if they are sticking/moving. Thus causing the rubbing effect. If your's is louder they might be hitting the rotor more. This should show excessive wear somewhere.

Mine dont make that sound when stopped. Just when moving above 20mph of the top of my head. But only when they have warmed up and goes again once cooled.

So on the way home i went the long way on the fun road around mine to warm the discs up. And was able to get this video.

You can start to hear it around 29secs but better after 35sec and near the end, It went away after about 1min after finishing that video and watching it to make sure i got recorded it.

oh wow, 47 seconds! Does sound like possibly a mis aligned disc. check this out that sound made me think the same.

https://youtu.be/5N-BAQ8LUUg?t=3m2s

Dont rule out a possible sticky brake pad or other object hitting the disc. Needs sorting though.

It does sound a bit like that sound but never heard it outside the car only when the sound bounces back from things.

It only happens when its hot and its a new disc with about 300miles on it, it was the same with the old disc but was much loader and lasted longer too.

Could it be the hub by any chance? As this has been like this with 2 set's of discs and on the same side.

I just thought, it could be sticking as it only happens when i go hard on the brakes when having a little fun and didnt happen when i just have a curse around but shows its self when having to go hard on them.

i just dont know nothing about cars so might try and get it booked in to get looked at

That is your safest bet and if you are not pleased with how your first option looked at it, then take it for a second opinion. I wonder about the wheel bearing having a little play. Bearing might not be making noises yet but if it's got play it could cause the brake pads to rub. This should all be checked though. Million different ways it could be making this noise and sometimes it might be worth jacking the car up and taking the wheel off to inspect it yourself. I am myself thinking about this if they dont find any problems. The video tells all! lol

Have you had the handbrake adjusted by any chance? My local garage took the car and he went out with me and saw all the noises. Decided lets replace the discs and pads to make sure. The noise was worse so they decided to check the slack and loosen up the brakes considering how firm they where. Problem solved and no more issues. I actually cant believe it. No more werid horrible noices. I have yet to go back tomorrow and triple check it was how tight and firm the brakes where to begin with, Ford had made a terrible mess of the brake pads i had purchased from them. They had uncessory cuts and dings in them from them thinking it was the pads and they still squeeked to high heaven.

I also think the brakes are electronically adjusted and can be slightly adjusted manually. So the adjustment manually did the trick. Something the local dealer didn't have the equipment to change it electronically.

I almost want to take the pads back that i purchased in December 14 and say refund me... Either way new pads, discs and brakes that dont make me feel as if i'm going through the windscreen anymore. braking is quiet as can be and sharp when i need it. Just goes to show it's not the quality of the products that matters but the quality of work put into it.

i thought the handbrake only went on the back wheels?

When you stomp the brake pedal all the way to floor it engages the back brakes as well. You should hear a creaking noise from the drum brakes with the brake pedal all the way to the floor. Similar sound to having the handbrake on and it creaking when it takes the full weight of the car. I didn't know this either.

i went back to the local repair shop and they had told me all they did was replace the brake pads and discs and that was that.

I i could've sworn he said he adjusted something but i dont know. I just know that scratching, creaking sounds are all gone. So either i got a bad set of brake pads or the disc was warped in some way. But the brake pads from Ford which had motorcraft on the backside are totally dinged sanded and look as if someone took a hammer to it. I dont want to say this will fix your issue but i'd take it to a local repair shop that you can trust. I used one from the good garage scheme if you get nowhere from your local dealer.