Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whiter Bulbs?

MPX309

Ok, I wouldn't mind whiter bulbs on the headlamps, or maybe side lights, do I need LEDs? I know HIDs are illegal, (I don't even know what HID are) but I know I don't want to attract the police, so was wondering what sort of bulbs do I need at the front for a whiter light that's legal in the headlamps. Thanks

H.I.D. = High Intensity Discharge

• Like 1

Ah thanks. It's a 62 plate Metal. So the old face

If it's white you want then something like Osram cool blue intense will be a nicer colour than the night breakers. The downside is that the whiter they are, the dimmer they are which is why a lot of people choose to use HIDs. That being said I am currently using the night breakers for my high beam and they're great as far as light levels.

I was watching a video on the Golf GTI (2015) Yeah I would whip one of them up in a heart beat if I could afford it and running costs. . . But it said in the video that it came with HIDs (mind u that video was from US) but is that the case with UK car too?

Fitting HID is fine...

...as long you are willing to replace the headlamp unit with an E Certified Unit.

See the following https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/408941/aftermarket-hid-headlamps.pdf

It mentions its not illegal to use aftermarket HID Lamps as long as the correct equipment is fitted at the time. So it would end up more expensive than going for the osram option though.

• Like 1

Fitting HID is fine...

...as long you are willing to replace the headlamp unit with an E Certified Unit.

See the following https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/408941/aftermarket-hid-headlamps.pdf

It mentions its not illegal to use aftermarket HID Lamps as long as the correct equipment is fitted at the time. So it would end up more expensive than going for the osram option though.

I retrofitted Bixenon projectors for less than £50 and installed HIDs. Passed an MOT a week or two later! So it doesn't always work out tooo expensive :)

• Like 1

I retrofitted Bixenon projectors for less than £50 and installed HIDs. Passed an MOT a week or two later! So it doesn't always work out tooo expensive :)

Thats not bad at all :)

Thats not bad at all :)

There's a guide on my profile

Osram Nightbreakers for the road legal and very bright option, Osram Cool Blue / Philips WhiteVision for a bit whither but not as bright (but still road legal), or Philips CrystalVision for a good white light which matches DRLs (but not road legal). Or HIDs of course if you want to go all the way.

From what I've heard you should be ok with HIDs in projector headlights, but unless they have auto levelling and washers they aren't road legal are they?

That's right, HIDs need auto leveling and Washers to be legal. Obviously there isn't any available so HIDs aren't legal.

If your car was registered before a certain year then self levelling & washers aren't necessary. hence why my car passer its MOT without them fitted. If they Are fitted, they must work for the MOT

Thanks guys, ordered the night brakers

• Like 1

Sorry to hijack the thread but... Anyone know if there are h15 bulbs upgrade available ?

• 2 weeks later...

If your car was registered before a certain year then self levelling & washers aren't necessary. hence why my car passer its MOT without them fitted. If they Are fitted, they must work for the MOT

What year is that? I thought I had read all of the blurb on HIDs, so this is news to me!

What year is that? I thought I had read all of the blurb on HIDs, so this is news to me!

I'll have a read back and see what the tester said! 5 minutes :)

Edit; http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index.php?/topic/63136-Fiesta-Mk6-Headlight-Hid-Retrofit#entry425626