Do Not Sell My Personal Information

K&n 57s-4000

WES180

Fitted mine in 5 minutes last night, perfect fit. Car feels much smoother and pulls better. Sounds good too!

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Have you blanked the egr valve on your 1.6TDCi yet mate?

I highly recommend it see guide same 1.6TDCi engine in the Mk3 as the Mk2.5

Link: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/42915-guide-fitting-egr-blanking-plate-16tdci-engine/

IMG_20130421_173730_zpsa179c234.jpg

Well, i took a little detour on the way to work this morning to try the filter out and i was mightily impressed! The pick up was so much quicker and just felt like that was how the car should have been from the factory. The induction noise was a bit lacking even with the bung removed which was disappointing as i am still a bit of a boy racer but i am really happy with the way the car drives now. All in all £54 well spent! :)

My instructions will have the neighbours watching lol

"pull it out vicki"

"Push it in vicki"

"form a tight seal around it vicki"

The airbox is secured to the chassis via two M8 bolts,

Removing the box to get the lid on would mean these don't get fitted again, because the lid would be on,

L .

I've done a guide on induction filter upgrade before though, m

She can follow pthat: mmgg

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/36783-green-cotton-performance-induction-filter-fitting-guide/

Sounds great!.c

Looking forward to having mine fitted too,

Lenny, I've looked at egr valve blanking many times, but must admit I'm bothered about getting eml and possible limp mode. Have to say though I'm impressed by the reviews of those who've done it.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

Lenny, I've looked at erg blanking many times, but must admit I'm bothered about getting eml and possible limp mode. Have to say though I'm impressed by the reviews of those who've done it.

My response is probably worth nothing but here goes mate,

If i was you; id blank it,

I can post you a loan of a bluetooth ELM327 this will enable you to clear any fault codes or EML via your phone,

If it throws up an EML ill refund you the cost of the blanking plate.

Thanks for the offer. I have a modified ELM cable that I could use. I may give it a go sometime in the future, great guide btw.

• Like 1

Thanks for the offer. I have a modified ELM cable that I could use. I may give it a go sometime in the future, great guide btw.

Thanks i recommend blanking for sure,

Ive done alot of guides based on but not tied to the Mk2.5 Focus,

You may like to view my full list of guides can be viewed on my profile page:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/user/14733-lenny/

Or

If your using the forum App follow this link:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/68214-full-list-lennys-guides/

• Like 1

I've just fitted this kit to my mk2.5 2.0 tdci this morning, not done too many miles but whether it's just me pushing the right pedal a little more or not, but the engine does "feel" like it has a little extra pickup off the throttle and without the bung does make a nice noise if nothing else

• Like 1

Anyone tried one of these on the 1.0 125 ecoboost?

Just want to know if there's any difference in sound or performance before shelling out £50 for a filter.

Thanks

• Like 1

Anyone tried one of these on the 1.0 125 ecoboost?

Just want to know if there's any difference in sound or performance before shelling out £50 for a filter.

Thanks

Go for the E-9289 filter off amazon for £54 with removable end cap if you want a bit more induction and turbo noise. Its the same filter out of the 57s-4000 kit but minus the K&N lid saving you £70.
  • Like 1

Go for the E-9289 filter off Amazon for £54 with removable end cap if you want a bit more induction and turbo noise. Its the same filter out of the 57s-4000 kit but minus the K&N lid saving you £70.

"Your So Money SuperMarket" ;)

Thats a big saving just not to recieve the branded lid,

Is the K&N57s airbox lid much bigger than standard?

Mines still in shipping id have said Transit but its not no its in a box on a plane :lol:

I wouldnt have thought it was much bigger. The filter fits with the standard lid no problem. I might get round to smoothing the inside of the standard lid to aid airflow but to be honest it doesnt need it!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My Green Cotton Performance Induction Filter has now reached the end of its life,

Rather than immediately purchase i replacement from Green, i studied the market to see if anything better had been developed.

So to recap in terms of evolution across the past five years,

Started off here:

Image2378.jpg

Moved on to Green Cotton Performance:

Image2403.jpg

Now moved on to the K&N E-9289 filter.

IMG_20150801_110353_zps6xpm820j.jpg

My findings were that K&N have manufactured a kit called the 57s-4000

I've purchased mine from ProdigyMotorSport

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151572141725

IMG_20150801_085704_zpsssr4yqpb_edit_143

IMG_20150801_084944_zpsmwpndd2u.jpg

IMG_20150801_085253_zpscorm3so0_edit_143

This kit from K&N consists of a K&N E-9289 cylinder filter same diameter as stock filter but it has more pleates than standard making it larger in terms of induction space within the same area.

IMG_20150801_110126_zpsnuppojdq.jpg

The filter also boasts a large side induction section which is a mushroom filter inset to the top of the cylinder drawing in cold air from behind the headlight.

IMG_20150801_112122_zpsxd2t7fjw.jpg

Here is a picture taken inside the K&N E-9289 filter you can clearly see the inverted mushroom at the top of the filter.

IMG_20150801_110101_zpsgi8irykn.jpg

Compared to the standard performance filter which is just a blank end:

Image2392.jpg

And here the stock filter:

Image2382.jpg

The side induction filter is in my opinion definitely the way forward; the design is simple and ingenious guaranteed cold air induction incorporated in to the stock enclosure.

The K&N57s kit also comes with a replacement air box lid its raised higher inside compared to the stock lid aswell as being a polished smooth surface:

IMG_20150801_085328_zpsnlktpakv.jpg

IMG_20150801_110457_zpsr8cexaqq_edit_143

The kit guarantees an increase in horsepower:

IMG_20150801_085046_zpsk7aamfew_edit_143

SciFiFantasyHorse_PowerhorsepowerjpgrZd3

K&N have even supplied two +5bhp stickers to ensure an increase in performance is felt.

IMG_20150801_085436_zpsjod66d1c_edit_143

In competition now:

Green now also manufacture a filter with side induction:

The green filter with side induction doesn't come supplied with a larger induction lid or side cap its just the filter itself.

Link: http://www.fswerks.com/products/green-filter-high-performance-cone-air-filter-ford-focus-escape-2012-2013

K&N also provide the filter with side induction as a stand alone item without a larger lid or side cap if desired:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K-N-E-9289-High-Performance-Replacement-Air-Filter-/131446800923?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e9ad7021b

I have to say;

I've closely examined the build quality of the K&N filter and i cant see any excessive glue on the surface of the filter or any imperfections due to "mass production" as claimed by Green in the first page of this guide.

Having the K&N57s kit now fitted;

IMG_20150801_112016_zpsyyjkiwp5.jpg

The exhaust tone has a bit more grunt to it,

The induction sounds great especially at around 3,000rpm in 3rd Gear onwards.

The performance is increased aswell I've not driven it myself but the wife says it feels like the increase from blanking the EGR valve.

In terms of MPG i was already getting 70MPG so it can only get better.

Overall my advise would be;

The Green Cotton Induction Filter,

Is a great filter provides increased MPG, performance and is still the best filter on the market for under 100 pounds.

However if your willing to spend over 100 pounds on your induction system then the K&N57s-4000

Is the best on the Market today.

• Like 1

Or just buy the K&N E-9289 filter as i did for £54 delivered off amazon, use the standard lid which fits fine and save £70 instead of buying the 57s-4000 kit which is a E-9289 filter with a nice replacement lid.

• Like 2

Hi wes180 thanks for the reply appreciated, the E-9289 sounds like a bargain! Just one question, on the 57s airbox lid there is a cut out where the bung is removed, and the factory lid is fully sealed, would this not affect performance or noise with being fully sealed? And also can the airbox lid be safely left off altogether?

Thanks

• Like 1

Hi wes180 thanks for the reply appreciated, the E-9289 sounds like a bargain! Just one question, on the 57s airbox lid there is a cut out where the bung is removed, and the factory lid is fully sealed, would this not affect performance or noise with being fully sealed? And also can the airbox lid be safely left off altogether?

Thanks

I have For Sale:

Customised Genuine Ford Focus Induction box lid,

Which has been modified to increase induction flow.

Ideal fitted along with an aftermarket induction filter such as Green Cotton Performance, or K&N

Cost: 20.00 GBP

I'm open to Offers on sale,

Payment via PayPal with free shipping.

IMG_20150802_170449_zpsm84nxcgv.jpg

IMG_20150802_170501_zpsbbegfakw.jpg

IMG_20150802_170510_zpsvaztuecb.jpg

Hmmm tempted to buy that but just ordered the E-9289 of amazon and will see how it sounds and performs first. Can the lid just not be left off altogether? Or will this cause heatsoak or other problems? I only ask as the 57i kits are open cone filters so wouldn't the E-9289 perform better without a lid???

• Like 2

Hmmm tempted to buy that but just ordered the E-9289 of Amazon and will see how it sounds and performs first. Can the lid just not be left off altogether? Or will this cause heatsoak or other problems? I only ask as the 57i kits are open cone filters so wouldn't the E-9289 perform better without a lid???

You could run it without the lid if desired,

But there would be a risk of the filter popping out if you hit a bump in the road,

The lid has a lip which surrounds the filter on both ends holding it clamped down to the base of the box,

Ideally use a dremil type tool to cut the airbox lid leaving the frame of the airbox lid entact,

Fit this to the airbox it will keep the filter secured,

I would be concerned about having it fully exposed during severe rain conditions but you could always switch lids or leave it exposed if you dont share my view on that lol.

Also if running an open box; remove base and drill a hole in it then refit,

In the event rain does get in from a large puddle on road or from headlight lens on long motorway behind a truck,

It has somewhere to escape again.

Thanks for the advice lenny, it should be here Saturday so will get it fitted and go from there...

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice lenny, it should be here Saturday so will get it fitted and go from there...

Sweet,

You wont be disappointed with the new induction filter mate,

Makes a great deal of difference compared to stock particularly in turbo engines.

I fitted one to my mk3 1.6 Auto and I've noticed a decent improvement in performance and it sounds amazing

• Like 1

From tests the k and n restricts more particles the green cotton restricts less but gives better airflow both are the top choice but if you plan to do high miles the green cotton will let more particles into the engine

• Like 1

Thanks

There is no side to the box mate, it is the plastic end of the filter that you are seeing. It will be obvious when you take the lid off. There is a rebate in the edge of the base and the lid too which the filter edge sits in to keep everything in place. There is a removable bung in the end of the K&N filter which you can either leave in or remove it for more air flow and induction noise.
  • Like 2

Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated, I can't wait for it to arrive now!

Has anyone done the snorkel delete a day is it worth doing? If yes a how to guide for my 2012 model would come in handy...?

• Like 1

Thanks wes180 I've just had a look and I'm with you now and understand why the 57s kit is, to be honest a rip off!

Looking into the snorkel delete now...

• Like 2

I love the sound the 57s-4k has given the ecoboost. Much louder intake and dump sound

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club