Do Not Sell My Personal Information

P.c, Tablet Or Kindle

Barry T

Hi

What is the best way to copy notes from a home pc to read later without printing on paper ? something portable

Laptop pc, Tablet, Kindle or other , Needs to read word or pdf or excel ( I can convert word or excel to pdf )

All help appreciated

Barry T

Most devices can read pdf files these days, so the choice is entirely yours. Most have apps that can read Office docs too.

If you want the ease of a tablet, yet want to be able to use as a laptop too, I would look at Microsoft's 'Surface' range.

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP

As above the surface is fantastic, all though acer and hp a table which coverts to a Laptop but a lot cheaper.

Hi if you already have a tablet try Google drive you can just uploaded your documents

Hi

Thanks for every ones advice, surface 3 pro appears to be the way to go, a bit expensive at the moment, what life expectancy would one expect from these, 5 or 10 years or even less ?

Is there a cheaper way with a reasonable life span say 5 years, I am not up on book readers can they be adapted for what I want

I have 2 good home pcs not new but good enough for normal use. I must admit surface 3 pro is tempting but you cannot have everything in life you want, maybe wait till Christmas sales and treat myself

Thanks

Barry T.

Devices last for as long as they are cared for. Had a nexus 7 for 4 years now still going strong. Plug in a keyboard and it's a touch screen laptop. I also have a 7 inch touchscreen windows 8.1 pc.

I've had a surface 2 and surface pro 2, both of which were very good, and I had them for a while, whilst they were both very portable and nice to use, I ended up selling the Surface pro 2 and putting the cash from that towards a Macbook Air (I suspect I may have just gained a few extra haters..... :P )

The surface pro is better in portability terms, but I didn't like the way the keyboard was very "flexible" in the middle when use, and didn't "lock" into place if that makes sense, made it awkward to use when on the train or a plane, hence I bought a Macbook air laptop which has a rigid connection between the keyboard and the screen, it's also very lightweight and battery life is up to 12 hours on my model - early 2014 model.

As with most of these things, the problem is the price, and it wasn't cheap - about £745 if I recall for a 128GB SSD 1.4 GHZ 4GB RAM spec... still runs pretty nippy though.

If you are looking for a proper device that can do what you want, and more, then i'd recommend the surface / surface pro (either 1st,2nd, or 3rd gen are all good).

Surface 3 pro appears to be the way to go, a bit expensive at the moment, what life expectancy would one expect from these,

5 or 10 years or even less ?

I've got a Surface Pro 3, bought it the day it came out last year because PC World had a £100 Cash Back offer on,

Before I even got it to the car I noticed the box actually gave a warning about the battery,

"battery has limited recharge cycles and cannot be easily replaced by users themselves.

It may eventually need to be replaced by an authorised service provider"

Everything ends up like this though, I had to buy a new battery for my phone after 2 years,

I was just very surprised they actually put it on the 'outside' of the box.

I'm not a power user, with a full charge I can easily get through the week browsing web at lunchtime.

Running it everyday while plugged in like a PC it might last a few years before it needs replacing,

I'm hoping mine will last alot longer due to the minimal use & charging mine gets.

As for Documents, my setup is like this

PC:

Documents saved in Google Drive folder (original file, automatically backed up online)

Phone:

Google Drive App (view/download or edit Office files and view PDF)

Surface Pro 3: (Online anywhere via phones Wi-Fi Hotspot)

1. View Google Drive online via Web Browser (edit online or download files as needed)

2. Or Sync to Surface, files are automatically downloaded onto the Surface same as PC (usually via Wi-Fi only).

Any changes made on any device will Sync to Google Drive, then Sync down to all devices when they start.

The surface pro is better in portability terms, but I didn't like the way the keyboard was very "flexible" in the middle when use, and didn't "lock" into place if that makes sense, made it awkward to use when on the train or a plane, hence I bought a Macbook air laptop which has a rigid connection between the keyboard and the screen, it's also very lightweight and battery life is up to 12 hours on my model - early 2014 model.

You really have to decide if you are typing alot before getting a Surface, it's party trick is to be a PC in Tablet,

the keyboard is a halfway solution to fill a gap, if typing is a major factor I'd suggest a laptop or a mini bluetooth keyboard.

I've had my Surface Pro 3 since September and I've still not needed the keyboard.

My Surface was always mean't for Photography, Video & Web Browsing and I love it, and hopefully gets even better with Windows 10.

Even though I saved £100 via Cash Back (PC World) and saved £109 by not getting the Keyboard, it still cost me £750 for the i5/128GB/4GB.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club