Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Unstable oil-Fuel indicator

hubballi

For some time my 1999 focus' oil indicator has been flashing on and off as if it is unstable. I have checked the oil and it recently had a change. Also, the fuel indicator sometimes shows different levels. I can have half a tank and it can suddenly show about half or lower. I turn the ignition key off and on again and then it reads ok.

Is this a common fault and if so, what can be done .

Thanks.

The oil light can come on due to low oil pressure also. Do the dash test for DTC codes and if any are logged post them up. You may find it's just the switch that's faulty

Is it a digital fuel gauge?

The oil light can come on due to low oil pressure also. Do the dash test for DTC codes and if any are logged post them up. You may find it's just the switch that's faulty

Is it a digital fuel gauge?

No, it's a normal dial gauge. It goes higher and lower and sometimes shows no fuel at all. Something must be sticking. Very odd. I don't understand what a "Dash test" is I am afraid.

The problem with your fuel gauge is probably a faulty sender unit. You will need to take it to a garage and get it checked out. Bad news it they're not cheap. So if you can live with it i would.

The 'dash test' is explained in a sticky in the focus section. Press the trip reset button and keep it held down whilst turning the ignition on. Then press the trip reset button until you see DCT flash up then a one or more 4 digit numbers will show up. If it says NONE then there aren't any codes stored on the ECU