Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Timing Belt Replacement A Bit Paranoid.

tris123

Im currently replacing my first timing belt and tensioner on my mk1 focus and just double checking I've got it right. Its an INA kit from ECP and the tensioner has an allen key type pin which holds the tension back when fitting and tensions the belt when unpinned.

My question is after I have released the pin is there a manual tension adjustment I need to make? There doesn't seem to be an adjustment hole on the tensioner and it doesn't pivot on its bracket. Also there is no note of tension adjustment on the info sheet that came with the belt kit.

Its probably a simple stupid question but being the timing belt I want to make sure I get it right first time.

the tensioner looks like this http://www.ebay.ie/itm/531058610-INA-Timing-Belt-Tensioner-Ford-FOCUS-C-MAX-/161455659470?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item259781d9ce.

Once the belt is in place, pull out the pin and that's it. It's spring loaded so will automatically adjust tension.

Have you got a flyeheel locking tool and also a timing locking kit?

• Like 1

Yeah I've got the cam locking tool and crankshaft locking pin. I also double checked the crankshaft by using a screwdriver in cylinder 1 to check TDC.

Was just a bit confused on the tensioner as the haynes only mentions manual tensioners so thought it best to check.

How do you intend holding the crankshaft while you loosen and tighten the crank bolt? Don't use the locking pin, you will bend it

To be honest I got the bolt off by using the breaker bar method as it was seized on. To get the bolt back on I'll admit I did use the locking pin to tighten it using a torque wrench. I've got it all back together now and everything seems fine but I will get the flywheel locking tool for next time, it would've made things easier.