Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk6 Facelift Engine Noise (high Pitch)

Diastolic

I recently bought a car that seems to have a high pitch wearing noise at around 4000 revs. I first noticed it when moving and then found suggestion it may just be the fans etc, from from a cold start i started the engine to find it still does it standing still

any idea what it could be?

Video uploaded to drop box here

hey, i recently purchased a fiesta and mine also does this, didnt notice it untill i saw this post. Can anyone confirm if it is normal or not

Not sure if video, but I can't hear anything :unsure:

Not sure if video, but I can't hear anything :unsure:

There's definitely a wHine. Sounds like PAS on full lock but quieter and increases with revs.

Have you checked the condition of all the belts/pulleys? Doesn't sound high pitched enough to be belt squeal but you never know

Well I havnt really the full knowledge to narrow it down as such. The car was bought with no service history as it was a Cat D from a dealers, so the previous owner probably still has it in their wardrobe lol

I hear it could be the timing belt however I know engines about as much as heart surgery so I bought a haynes manual in order to try and learn a bit about it. This is my first car you see! But belts is where I am going to start.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Don't mess with your timing belt if you don't know what you're doing... Cat d.. do you know where the impact was? Could the power steering pump have suffered damage?

The impact was on the rear with no or very minor damage to the front... Plus the air con works which would have been the first thing to go in a front end collision.

And yeah, I'm quite tentative to get in there and mess with it as I know I'll screw summit up! The haynes it's just a guide... Plus, I need it to sort the electric window out as its sounds like the glass is not sitting In the bracket right

The impact was on the rear with no or very minor damage to the front... Plus the air con works which would have been the first thing to go in a front end collision.

And yeah, I'm quite tentative to get in there and mess with it as I know I'll screw summit up! The haynes it's just a guide... Plus, I need it to sort the electric window out as its sounds like the glass is not sitting In the bracket right

Not strictly true with the AC... As its mostly located in the centre and drivers side... So an off centre impact or side on front end would possibly miss it! I smashed the front end of my fiesta (bumper sprung half into place.. but found part of the fence behind it) and the AC was fine

If the car was shunted from behind and hit something with the front wheels it may have caused damage

Also. How much oil has the car got in it?

In that case if it has a front impact shunt it would have been the drivers side as the bumper when I got it was a tad loose and the fog light was a little wobbly... Fixed with zip ties!

In that case if it has a front impact shunt it would have been the drivers side as the bumper when I got it was a tad loose and the fog light was a little wobbly... Fixed with zip ties!

Fair enough.

Would it be possible to post a video from in the engine bay so the noise is more prominent?

Sure! I'll do that tomorrow morning and hopefully narrow it down, I don't think my neighbours will be too pleased if I did it now lol!

Sure! I'll do that tomorrow morning and hopefully narrow it down, I don't think my neighbours will be too pleased if I did it now lol!

Haha!

But thanks for your help on this, it's very much appreciated! :)

Haha!

https://youtu.be/pnXY1CtsQpw

This is inside the engine bay, it seems to be coming from the drivers side by the black box I point at.

That would be your cam belt housing

Things to consider.. waterpump? Water pump bearings? Belt tensioner.

I'd get it into a garage for a cam belt, tensioner and water pump asap

That would be your cam belt housing

Things to consider.. waterpump? Water pump bearings? Belt tensioner.

I'd get it into a garage for a cam belt, tensioner and water pump asap

What costs would I be looking at for that kind of work?

What costs would I be looking at for that kind of work?

Anywhere from 200-380 garage dependant. They're rated for 90k or 10years. But the water pump bearings often go earlier

It's a 2007 model, with just under 70,000... How long do you imagine had get out if that before it starts to cause any serious issues... And what issues could it cause (what to look out for such as high temp) when it starts to get worse?

It's a 2007 model, with just under 70,000... How long do you imagine had get out if that before it starts to cause any serious issues... And what issues could it cause (what to look out for such as high temp) when it starts to get worse?

The timing belt will eventually snap. No slapping around or rattling like chains.

The tensioner may fail leaving the belt to come loose

The water pump bearings will become louder and louder until wear starts to allow leaks. Etc etc

I don't want to put a time to it, but personally I'd get it changed. The advice I go by is if it's got a lack of history, New timing parts.

Its your call. But if its coming from the cam belt cover its never good news

In that case I will get together the pennies to have it looked at fully, it came with no history book as I have said previously so God knows what's been done on it if anything! So I think your advice is spot on and will get it seen too!

• Like 1

To add to this, here is a video that I have just watched that gave me an understanding as a novis as to what a timing belt does and the problems that can occoure

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club