Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Drop Links Query

FatHead1979

Hi all, I recently had to have the left rear suspension arm replaced when the coil spring snapped. Basically all the bushes etc were seized (I was at the garage at the time & saw the lengths the garage went to trying to remove the assembly). The car drives OK & there isn't any knocking etc, however I was following my car this morning & noticed the left sway bar/anti roll bar looked to be sat lower than the right.

I've had a look under the rear & taken a few pics, the left hand drop link looks like its bent in the middle. The right hand one is straight which is how I assume it is supposed to be, I'm a bit confused how the L/H one can be at the angle that it is because the nut that secures it at the top is still in place (unless the bolt section has snapped) but wouldn't it sit lower if it was just "dangling" down. If I decide to have a little "fun" the rear does feel a little loose but it doesn't feel massively unstable when pushing through a corner at speed. Looking at the state of the rubber boots on both I'm leaning towards replacing them, I thought I'd check for any advice on doing the job etc from people more knowledgeable than me!

I'm not too bad with a socket set so I'm happy to have a go at replacing them, I just didn't want to start the job & find out there was another part I needed other than replacement drop links such as these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151332257979?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT or maybe some Lemforder ones as I know there stuff seems to be considered good quality.

Any advice/input would be appreciated.

post-26198-0-30164900-1437940837_thumb.j

post-26198-0-67009000-1437941378_thumb.j

post-26198-0-22026300-1437941794_thumb.j

when I done mine I did both sides and there was something about ride height

in the hynes manual but that was a mk 1 est

You do know they could have just dropped the rear subframe far easier than doing what they did if you look at the replacement its a different shape and sits higher than the original part from the picture its not the same either the new parts wrong or the other sides knackered looking at mine the new parts wrong

That looks like a mk1 1998-2004 arm they put on the mk2 as you can see its angled

That looks like a mk1 1998-2004 arm they put on the mk2 as you can see its angled

When you get a chance could you take a pic of them on your car?

Cheers

artscot 79 on the near side it looks like you have a crack spring :(

nope its the pint flaking off just checked lol

on passenger side it looks broke hafe way up

again ive checked its the angle of the camera and the flaking paint

oh well that's good news it just the camera view :)

sorry not trying to sound funny just off a 14 hr shift the kettles broke and the !Removed! dryer has packed in :angry:

yeah as the original posters photo shows his passenger rear arm is the wrong one pretty poor m echanic that didnt notice that one im afraid ide be going nuts at them

no worry's :)

I agree with artscot79 the suspension arm looks like it's a MK 1 arm and it also looks like the drop link has been over tightened.Ideally the links and all the suspension bolts should be torqued.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

I agree with artscot79 the suspension arm looks like it's a MK 1 arm and it also looks like the drop link has been over tightened.Ideally the links and all the suspension bolts should be torqued.

Once I get home I'll be pulling the stickers off the replacement lower arm & googling the part numbers to be sure. I want to make sure I've got my facts 100% straight before kicking off, lol.

wouldnt bother its clear just from looking at them they have put the wrong one on if you look at my pic of both sides compared to youres you can clearly see it the mk1 is a tad longer as well hence why youre drop link is too far over this is the mk1 and what cars it fits

post-8800-0-20977300-1437999795_thumb.pn

FOCUS (DAW, DBW) 1.4 16V 10/98-11/04
FOCUS (DAW, DBW) 1.6 16V 10/98-11/04
FOCUS (DAW, DBW) 1.8 16V 10/98-11/04
FOCUS (DAW, DBW) 1.8 DI / TDDi 08/99-11/04
FOCUS (DAW, DBW) 1.8 TDCi 03/01-11/04
FOCUS (DAW, DBW) 1.8 TDCi 09/02-11/04
FOCUS (DAW, DBW) 1.8 Turbo DI / TDDi 10/98-11/04
FOCUS (DAW, DBW) 2.0 16V 10/98-11/04
FOCUS Estate (DNW) 1.6 16V 02/99-11/04
FOCUS Estate (DNW) 1.8 16V 02/99-11/04
FOCUS Estate (DNW) 1.8 DI / TDDi 08/99-11/04
FOCUS Estate (DNW) 1.8 TDCi 03/01-11/04
FOCUS Estate (DNW) 1.8 TDCi 09/02-11/04
FOCUS Estate (DNW) 1.8 Turbo DI / TDDi 02/99-11/04
FOCUS Estate (DNW) 2.0 16V 02/99-11/04
FOCUS Saloon (DFW) 1.6 16V 02/99-11/04
FOCUS Saloon (DFW) 1.8 16V 02/99-11/04
FOCUS Saloon (DFW) 1.8 TDCi 03/01-11/04
FOCUS Saloon (DFW) 1.8 TDCi 09/02-11/04
FOCUS Saloon (DFW) 1.8 Turbo DI / TDDi 02/99-11/04
FOCUS Saloon (DFW) 2.0 16V 02/99-11/04

mk2

post-8800-0-80202700-1437999933_thumb.pn

and what they fit

post-8800-0-34524200-1437999996_thumb.pn

This will be an interesting conversation with the garage!

• Like 1

i bet it will they will argue it but just point to the drivers side of the car they cant deny whats in front of them the mk1.5 is sometimes listed as a 2005 mk2 so its easy to order a wrong part but common sense should say its totally different from the original it may be wrong lol

I spoke with the mechanic & when I showed him the pictures he agreed the new lower suspension arm doesn't look anything like the original part that is still fitted on the R/H side. It should be getting sorted out Thursday/Friday, I'll be sure to update the thread with how I get on.

**Update** Well the wife took the car up to the garage (1st mistake) because I'm at work, the garage has spoken with the parts supplier (Euro Parts) & they reckon it's the right part & the only part they supply without any previous problems.

Is anyone able to let me know the correct Ford part number for the rear, lower left suspension arm? (That way I should hopefully be able to find a decent picture of it online!) Any information would be great.

Incidently I picked a MK1 Focus on the Euro Parts website & it gave the same part as if I picked a 2009 Focus, surely that can't be right as it looks totally different to the original?

That numbers for a 1998 to may 2005

Yes

If that's the number of the arm on your car then it's the wrong one.Sorry for any confusion.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club