Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fan And Cigarette Lighter Not Working, And Fuse Confusion!

Hi all,

I've just joined the forum and own a 2002 MK1 Ford Focus 1.9tdci. It's done over 180,000 miles, and going strong - the best car I've ever had. However, I'm having trouble with a few issues, which are not major, but causing frustration and discomfort in the recent hot weather!

The fan blower has stopped working, after previously only working on the highest setting. I've read elsewhere that this may be related to the resister being warn and busted? So I may have a look at that. But I wanted to ask here first in case you have experience of the issue and how to fix it.

The passenger side electric window button does not operate the window, so passengers are unable to control their own window - I have to do it for them from the driver's side.

I'm also without the cigarette lighter at the moment, which I believed was due to the fuse blowing. I checked the main fuse box in the passenger seat, but found the attached. I've marked the fuses which are of the incorrect value with a green dot at their base, and the fuses which are there where the manual states there should be none, with a green line.

post-67458-0-43956800-1437999105_thumb.j

Does anyone have advice on how I can fix these three issues, and whether the fuse box differences are normal?

Does anyone have advice on my problems above? Anything would be very much appreciated.

For the heater, yes its most likely the resistor pack, you can buy a replacement and it should be a plug and play job.

As to the window, this is likely a faulty switch or wiring on that door itself, you can pick up a switch cheap enough at a scrappy and try fit it yourself.

Finally, the fuses may appear wrong, I have found looking at my Mondeo manual that the direction of the fuses does not tie in with the picture, so it may be worth comparing the fuse value to both sides of the picture, and see if you have a different fuseboard.

To have that many wrong fuses you either had a lazy former owner, or a careless one - that is if the fuseboard isnt wired in differently!

Thank you James.

Just bought a resistor pack for £6.50 from eBay, so will have a go at fitting that myself.

Really puzzled by the cigarette lighter, electric seats and other electrics though.

I've checked all fuses in both boxes, and all are good - with none under the stated voltage?

its alternatively going to be a wiring issue, if you disconnect the wiring plug then prod it with a multimeter, and touch any bare metal in the car - see if you get a 12v feed, it could be a wiring issue, or it could be a bad socket.

Whats up with your electric seat?

I know my Mondy has the boot fuse box, do you have one as well for the seats?

I must admit, I am sure the former owner of my car thought it was a good idea to just use that fusebox as a spare fuse holder, they just plugged allsorts of fuses into all of the sockets... I have just left it that way, as if I get desperate, I know I can find a spare there :p

The switch does not make the driver's seat move up and down, so it feels a little like the issue with the passenger side window switch.

I'll keep searching, and may buy two switches and see what happens when I replace them.

Love my Focus. It's old, a little battered, but 180K miles in, and going STRONG!

old fords never die, they just get faster!

granted there electrics go the other way, but still :p

Hi James,

So I replaced the resistor, and it ended up as the old one - see attached - when I tried to use the air blower.

The one on the left is the new one, and it's blown and bubbled in the same places as the old one.

All fuses are in the correct slots and all are good.

What say you?

post-67458-0-20066300-1439198849_thumb.j

I'd take a guess at the Fan needs replacing if it's killing resistor packs. Have you checked the pollen filter too?

Agree with GF on this one, it could be either wiring or the fan itself. Remove the pollen filter and then replace it?

• Like 1

Thanks both.

I checked the pollen filter last night and all looks fine - I brushed it out between the fins, and cleaned its cradle - do I need a new one as there is nothing at all when I turn the blower dial?

I am at a loss now as to what is burning out the resistors?

If the filter is clear then it's probably a wiring issue, best check the wiring back to the fan for fraying

• Like 1

Thanks James.

So the wiring back from the fan to the battery? Am I able to check that without removing the fan and other stuff?

I must admit at this point my knowledge dies down as I am not too familiar with behind the dash, though I suspect you will have to at least part strip the dash to find it. I will try look on tinterweb later but at work and chaotic ally busy at the moment so don't be surprised if I can't get back to you lol

Thanks James, I appreciate your time.

I'm going to remove the fan tonight and see what state it's in, as I have checked/replaced the fuses and resistor.

I think the new and old resistor may be fine, as the lumps on them are consistent with new ones I have seen in YouTube videos.

So I will see where I get to...

OK, this is where is gets weirder...

Now the headlights do not work on half power, and when switched to full, they come on full beam???

Help.

OK, this is where is gets weirder...

Now the headlights do not work on half power, and when switched to full, they come on full beam???

Help.

Half power being dipped beam?

Have you checked the bulbs? Fuses?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Half power being dipped beam?

Have you checked the bulbs? Fuses?

Are the battery connections corrosion free and tightly connected?

Hi Kieran,

Yes, dipped beam - sorry - there's nothing at the front when on dipped beam.

All fuses are OK, but I am not sure how I check the cubed ones (are they called relays?)

I'll check the battery/wiring for corrosion tonight. A colleague suggested I may need a new fuse box - seems extreme?

Sorry fella been offline for a while... If dipped don't work it could be a faulty switch.

No problems. Switch seems OK as, although dipped do not work, fog lights come on when switched to full beam?

All seems very strange.

It's a microswitch inside mate it could be the dipped beam ms is dead, its not uncommon for just one part to go on multi switches

Cheers James, appreciate your time and help.

No worries

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Hi James,

Had it in the garage yesterday and the lights was a simple solution, which just leaves the heater.

The garage said the fan was partially seized up, but also said the switch could be faulty.

So I am thinking that it needs a new fan and switch - do you concur?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club