Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Attempted Breakin

Maddog55

HI I have a 2008 Ford Focus which someone attempted to break into. They seemed to have driven something into the key whole on the drivers side. Now when I put the key in the keyhole it seems to go the whole way in but will not turn. Since there is only one keyhole on the focus I am concerned that if the key fob dies I cannot get into my car. Any suggestions on how I can fix this. Is there any way I can get a key barrel to replace the broke one even if it means another key to open the door manually

Thanks

It's probably a main dealer thing to be honest.

You can get a lock repair kit from Ford.

it has a new lock mechanism and pegs to rebuild the lock to the original key.

Go to a Ford parts counter and ask for Finis (part) number 1552849, it will be about £32. (check compatibility before buying to be 100% sure).

post-28494-0-91216200-1438159383_thumb.j

If you don't feel confident enough to rebuild the barrel yourself I'd recommend getting a locksmith to take a look at it for you.

If you need to work out how to remove the lock mechanism I have linked to a downloadable PDF Haynes manual that has a section covering lock removal (It's for the pre-facelift Focus but the procedure is the same).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/29gw7sebz6fddj7/Ford%20Focus%202005%20to%202009%20Haynes%20PDF%20Manual.pdf?dl=0

• Like 3

Hi all Thanks for the Help. I will have a look and see what I can do.

• Like 1

Keep us notified on how you get on.

• Like 1

Keep us notified on how you get on.

Hopefully you do a better job than the thief.

Hi all Will do. Need a bit of time to have a look at it first bit busy at moment . Looked over the Haynes Manual (what a great help thanks for that) and it seems doable. Will explore the removal and then order a repair kit. Will keep you posted.

• 2 weeks later...

post-46575-0-87935000-1439115708_thumb.j

Hi looked at the Haynes manual and said undo star screw after removing the plastic cover on the door. I see a hex inside a bit of plastic see image. Just wondering if this has changed as I do not want to drop it inside the door and then have to remove the door trim it get it back. Looks like the design had changed possibly so as less chance at dropping screw any thoughts

• 3 weeks later...

That could be right^ them hex bolts are quite difficult to drop as the tool sits inside, if you have a piece of thin but stiff card slide that underneath then if you do drop it you can just tilt the card and it will come back to you anyway.

Hi Nathan,

Got a change yesterday to have a better look at the lock. It is a Torx. The good news is that you do not have to take it all the way out( so no chance of dropping it inside the door). You only have to loosen it off and the Lock pops out. The screw is used as a clamp. The end of the screw sits in a recess in the Lock barrel so when you slacken the screw (a good bit) it is still in the threaded part of the door and the lock drops out. Had a look at the lock and It does not come apart so I will go head and buy are repair kit as suggested and build a new lock. Should drop in easily once completed. Looks like original lock needs to be broke apart to get to the lock part.

Called the Ford Parts people and they can order in a repair kit but they are unsure if they can build the lock. They say that if the old one damaged they might not be able to build the new one. Dose anyone know how to explode the original Barrel as I think I will give this a go myself. I took it apart so far then could not get the Barrel out of the main housing.

Even if its damaged, it wont make any diffence, each peg on the old lock has a number on it, most important thing is when dismantling is to make sure only 1 peg at a time is removed and then kept in order, large sheet of paper to put them on helps. Then its just a case of building new lock up with the new pegs of the correct numbers.

• Like 2

If they'd taken it they probably would have used it as a getaway car or something. Happened to a mate, was woken up one morning by the rozzers hammering on his door. Turned out someone had taken his car in the night and used it in a ram-raid, they'd driven through the window of a local off-licence and left it there.

How are you controlling the rage that some thieving degenerate !stop swearing! has put their plebby low-life paws on your motor? I'd be fuming.

Anyway, hope you get it fixed!

• Like 1

Hi Ian

Thats what I thought but getting the inner out of the main body which contains the pegs and springs is a bit of a conundrum. It spins ok within itself when you take off the c clip and remove the locking pin but it dose not want to slide out of the the main housing. There must be some other pin that I am missing that holds it in the main body ??

Did that already. Remember Key will not turn in Tumble as its damaged. But when I strip it back as far as I can it spins fine but as if there was something else holding it in place. Might just order the repair kit and since it comes exploded it might shed some light on how the original one comes apart. Just want to use it as reference to build the new one. Might not need it at all just would speed up the process.

Are they flat and slide into a slot which is flush with the outer of the barrel??

That sounds like them, ive never had to do a door lock barrel on your age focus, but from the info I have there are 2, opposite each other,

post-46575-0-37400800-1441223824_thumb.jpost-46575-0-15611200-1441224375_thumb.jpost-46575-0-33779800-1441224468_thumb.jpost-46575-0-37362400-1441224541_thumb.jpost-46575-0-55495600-1441224620_thumb.j

.post-46575-0-49060900-1441224849_thumb.j

Can't see how this comes apart. Does anyone have exploded view of one of these or a repair kit with its component parts displayed. Frustrated or what

On the right side of the bottom picture, does that straight piece not pull out?

• Like 1

Clive yes it does but it's the lock for the rotator on the outside. Take it out and you can open the car with a flat screwdriver. Does not allow it to part the barrel

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club